Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Telos101

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2016
Ireland
Is it true that they want to integrate the TouchID to the screen removing the home button?

This got me thinking, so if the Display is replaced due to damage, will it lose the TouchID functionality?
Since for now, if you replace the Home button with fingerprint sensor on an actual iPhone, you lose TouchID functionality.

*sigh*

Not exactly clear on your question, here, but I do know that if Touch ID on a MacBook Pro breaks, you have to get the entire Touch Bar replaced. We'll have to wait see if iPhone screen/Touch ID repairs similarly pan out...

name99

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2004
If they can't put it in the display I'm all for it on the back like the pixel and likely the S8. But put it in the top corner opposite the camera. That is a more natural spot to reach than the middle.

They CAN put it on the display. That is precisely the point.
I called this months ago when the first rumors of a chinless iPhone appeared.
The tech is that you send an ultrasonic wave across the glass screen and see how it is scattered by the finger; the scattering encodes the fingerprint.
The different companies/issues being referenced all refer to different parts of this solution. You need ultrasonic signal generator and detector, you need an algorithm for extracting the fingerprint info from the scattering data, and you need an implementation of that algorithm in silicon.

BTW QC has similar technology which is implemented in some shipping Snapdragons today. However I am aware of no phone that actually uses it. I'm not sure why this should be --- maybe the details of how to integrate the ultrasonics into the display (which presumably QC has no control over) are non-trivial and no Android manufacturer has so far been willing to spend the NRE to get that suitable for manufacturing?
[doublepost=1488569353][/doublepost]
Nice to see the Veblen good experiment works

Rather than being so snooty, perhaps you can enlighten us as to why APPLE manages to create a stream of (according to you) Veblen goods [iPod, then iPhone, then iPad, then aWatch, soon AirPods] while other companies (Samsung phones, Google phones, Microsoft phones then Surface pad+book+studio) seem unable to do so...

Slapping a label on something (regardless of whether that label is accurate or not) does not EXPLAIN anything. I do not understand how opium works on being told that it possesses dormitive properties. Moliere understood this 350 years ago; I expect Veblen would likewise have understood it.

Reactions: I7guy

JungleNYC

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2014
As long as it works well. Myself, and a bunch of people I know, have problems w/ the current generation of touchID. It only works about 1/2 the time.

orev

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2015
The whole display will not recognize prints. And I'm not really sure what benefit a full screen finger print reader would add to protecting apps from launching or being secure. You could still have all that with the haptic Touch ID button we have now. Unless I'm misreading something?

I'm just brainstorming that it would be cool. But I also clearly stated the benefit, so I'm not sure why you aren't sure what the benefit is since I said so directly. Touches are registered currently always after unlocking. If it authenticated every single touch before registering it, you could be forced to unlock the phone, but then other people still couldn't get it to respond since their fingers are not registered. They wouldn't be able to open any apps, snoop around, or anything, because the touches wouldn't go through as they come from an unknown finger.

Apple 26.2

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2011
What up, 212?!
...adding that production for the new OLED iPhone is unlikely to start until September due to the redesigned fingerprint ID solution.

Awful. Not a snowball's chance in hell new iPhones aren't delivered by the beginning of the fourth quarter. Good mind trick, though.

kdarling

macrumors P6
They CAN put it on the display. That is precisely the point.
I called this months ago when the first rumors of a chinless iPhone appeared.
The tech is that you send an ultrasonic wave across the glass screen and see how it is scattered by the finger; the scattering encodes the fingerprint.
BTW QC has similar technology which is implemented in some shipping Snapdragons today. However I am aware of no phone that actually uses it.

The Xiaomi Mi 5s came out last Fall with the Qualcomm ultrasonic fingerprint sensor, for one. See about 0:35 into this video:

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
iphone 7 and 7s to justeify the primium price of the REAL new phone, not that 4 YEARS iphone design with the 720p display! ,
just like the macbook pro without the touch bar that is for the peaple who "NEED" a macbook air, a trick to make tou belive that the macbook pro start at 1299, while the REAL one with the toch bar start AT 1499!
insted of selling the touch bar from 1299 like thay should be from the start,

lets procced,
32 to 128 gb on all devices, 150$ to 450$!!! watch bands,
seperated ipad cover that cost more than 100$ both, and cancel the 69 leather ones,
apple pencil 100$ and magic trackped 129$ up from 79$,
and icloud, from 200gb to 1tb, what ABOUT 500gb option?!

there is NOTHING in the middle anymore with that company, trying to sqeeze every single pany from you by manipulaiting you to upgrade every single time on everything!!!

steve jobs was so SIMPLE... ipad - 499,599,699 ---- 16,32,64
iphone - 199,299,399---16,32,64
and so on on everything

in this days, apple makes a polish black iphone and sells it ONLY in 128, why?! why not give all the optins to every costumer??? why trying to sqeeze the penny from each and every one of your costumers while you have 250 billion in cash?? where is the --- "lets try to answer every need of ALL of our costumers and lower the product price as much as we can without affecting the quality, and i dont care how you will do it" approach?? NOW, it all about the money with them!
I remember buying a black Macbook back in 2006. Black was only available on the high-end of the Macbook spectrum. Steve was still alive in 2006 and most likely approved it, and that's just one example. So no, this isn't just a recent thing.

BoltmanLives

Suspended
Feb 10, 2017
Rather than being so snooty, perhaps you can enlighten us as to why APPLE manages to create a stream of (according to you) Veblen goods [iPod, then iPhone, then iPad, then aWatch, soon AirPods] while other companies (Samsung phones, Google phones, Microsoft phones then Surface pad+book+studio) seem unable to do so...

Slapping a label on something (regardless of whether that label is accurate or not) does not EXPLAIN anything. I do not understand how opium works on being told that it possesses dormitive properties. Moliere understood this 350 years ago; I expect Veblen would likewise have understood it.

I drive a Hundai I'm certainly the farthest thing from snooty, perhaps practical, sensible, relaistic and/or intellegent may fit me. Now that the misconception is cleared up...

Lets start with a description of Veblen good:

"In economics, Veblen goods are types of material commodities for which the demand is proportional to its high price, which is an apparent contradiction of the law of demand; Veblen goods also are commodities that function as positional goods. Veblen goods are types of luxury goods, such as expensive wines, jewelry, fashion-designer handbags, and luxury cars, which are in demand because of the high prices asked for them. The high price makes the goods desirable as status symbols, by way of conspicuous consumption and conspicuous leisure; conversely, a decrease of the prices of Veblen goods would decrease demand for the products"

Now Apl for years has known this and since their inception has carefully practiced it...from the Glowing Apl logo, to snooty "I'm a Mac" ads they basically entranced an age group of our population susceptible to this , the carefully made and recounted "in a garage " feel good story resonated , the "nicer" products and "just works eco" also contributed. Kids teased other kids that "could not afford" an iPhone. No other tech product uses that against people. Apl users like "to feel rich" and often comment "It doesn't matter if you are a king or a Sultan an iPhone is an I phone and I can afford the best and I feel fulfilled today” " that's why $17K Edition Watch Gold failed it did not satisfy the apparent apl "I now feel rich,I'm fulfilled " psychosis.The pricing was beyond reason (reach).
---------
Let's look at company mission statements for guidance:

Apl:
"Apple designs Macs, the best personal computers in the world, along with OS X, iLife, iWork and professional software. Apple leads the digital music revolution with its iPods and iTunes online store. Apple has reinvented the mobile phone with its revolutionary iPhone and App store, and is defining the future of mobile media and computing devices with iPad."

Microsoft:
Every great company has an enduring mission. Our mission is to empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more. This mission is ambitious and at the core of what our customers deeply care about. We have unique capability in harmonizing the needs of both individuals and organizations. This is in our DNA. We also deeply care about taking things global and making a difference in lives and organizations in all corners of the planet.

Google:
"to organize the world’s information and make it universally accessible and useful.”
-------------

Now you tell me which company focuses on Veblen Goods?
Microsoft and Google have overpriced products but its not "their core". Microsoft prices example high like "Surface Studio" as to not tramp on OEMs and let them come in "below, at or above" and even directly compete head-on with their "perfect example" a working new category creation engine. Google does similar (but not as effective) with their Pixel line...Apl on the other hand seeks highest margins with every product and sevice (looking at you $25 iCloud match a year charge) and supports the apl Veblen good generational experiment. Be interesting to see when it ends.

If the label fits..it fits

Last edited:

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Lets start with a description of Veblen good:

"In economics, Veblen goods are types of material commodities for which the demand is proportional to its high price, which is an apparent contradiction of the law of demand; Veblen goods also are commodities that function as positional goods. Veblen goods are types of luxury goods, such as expensive wines, jewelry, fashion-designer handbags, and luxury cars, which are in demand because of the high prices asked for them. The high price makes the goods desirable as status symbols, by way of conspicuous consumption and conspicuous leisure; conversely, a decrease of the prices of Veblen goods would decrease demand for the products"

Now Apl for years has known this and since their inception has carefully practiced it...from the Glowing Apl logo, to snooty "I'm a Mac" ads they basically entranced an age group of our population susceptible to this , the carefully made and recounted "in a garage " feel good story resonated , the "nicer" products and "just works eco" also contributed. Kids teased other kids that "could not afford" an iPhone. No other tech product uses that against people. Apl users like "to feel rich" and often comment "It doesn't matter if you are a king or a Sultan an iPhone is an I phone and I can afford the best and I feel fulfilled today” " that's why $17K Edition Watch Gold failed it did not satisfy the apparent apl "I now feel rich,I'm fulfilled " psychosis.The pricing was beyond reason (reach).
---------
Let's look at company mission statements for guidance:

Apl:
"Apple designs Macs, the best personal computers in the world, along with OS X, iLife, iWork and professional software. Apple leads the digital music revolution with its iPods and iTunes online store. Apple has reinvented the mobile phone with its revolutionary iPhone and App store, and is defining the future of mobile media and computing devices with iPad."

Microsoft:
Every great company has an enduring mission. Our mission is to empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more. This mission is ambitious and at the core of what our customers deeply care about. We have unique capability in harmonizing the needs of both individuals and organizations. This is in our DNA. We also deeply care about taking things global and making a difference in lives and organizations in all corners of the planet.

Google:
"to organize the world’s information and make it universally accessible and useful.”
-------------

Now you tell me which company focuses on Veblen Goods?
Microsoft and Google have overpriced products but its not "their core". Microsoft prices example high like "Surface Studio" as to not tramp on OEMs and let them come in "below, at or above" and even directly compete head-on with their "perfect example". Google does similar with their Pixel line...Apl on the other hand seeks highest margins and supports the Veblen good generational experiment.

If the label fits..it fits
So it seems to me that Apple is leading the pack in the personal digital revolution these days.

The remainder of your post is hyperbole. Saying "Apple users like to feel rich" is just so much nonsense, and that hyperbole is the enabler to support your illogical conclusion.

BoltmanLives

Suspended
Feb 10, 2017
So it seems to me that Apple is leading the pack in the personal digital revolution these days.

The remainder of your post is hyperbole. Saying "Apple users like to feel rich" is just so much nonsense, and that hyperbole is the enabler to support your illogical conclusion.

...that's the purpose of a Veblen Good. If you think my conclusion is illogical than so be it others can make up their minds. Apl users often state "Android is junk/cheap" or "WP is dead" again part of the bellieved "superior higher priced" feelings their apl product choice reinforces.

Last edited:

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
...that's the purpose of a Veblen Good. If you think my conclusion is illogical than so be it others can make up their minds. Apl users often state "Android is junk/cheap" or "WP is dead" again part of the bellieved "superior higher priced" feelings their product choice reinforces.
Chicken and egg, making an illogical conclusion with a hyperbolic assumption.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Don't abandon Touch ID, but I gather Apple wants privacy, and makes if more difficult to prove iris scan in court to unlock a suspicious phone..

Still, we've gotten use to Touch ID, and now we have to get use to the next thing already ? TouchID is secure enough. But any advancements to milk money from a customer

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Chicken and egg, making an illogical conclusion with a hyperbolic assumption.

He is correct. iPhones are Veblen goods. The more expensive they are the more the sales which is precisely why this time around Apple raised the base price to 1K

raghu8912

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2016
San Jose
I remember buying a black Macbook back in 2006. Black was only available on the high-end of the Macbook spectrum. Steve was still alive in 2006 and most likely approved it, and that's just one example. So no, this isn't just a recent thing.
it is probably because they have higher yield loss for Jet Black/Black MBP.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
He is correct. iPhones are Veblen goods. The more expensive they are the more the sales which is precisely why this time around Apple raised the base price to 1K
So much hyperbole as so much else here. Whatever the phraseology you want to tag them you can't dispute the recent upswing in stock price combined with the $75b in revenue last quarter. Now carry on with the pejorative terms, Timmy is laughing, at those very same folks who will buy the iPhone 8.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
So much hyperbole as so much else here. Whatever the phraseology you want to tag them you can't dispute the recent upswing in stock price combined with the $75b in revenue last quarter. Now carry on with the pejorative terms, Timmy is laughing, at those very same folks who will buy the iPhone 8.

Stock price is up because of the game changing iPhone 8.

Exactly. The higher the price the more the revenue . Guaranteed the 1K iPhone model is going to destroy the 7s in sales

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

Exactly. The higher the price the more the revenue . Guaranteed the 1K iPhone model is going to destroy the 7s in sales
guaranteed, right. The only thing guaranteed is the same people throwing out the pejorative nonsense will be first on line for the iPhone 8.:rolleyes:

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

That's interesting. You can guarantee the price of a something that doesn't even exist yet? Who is your source? A rumored website?

Reactions: I7guy and name99

crashoverride77

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2014
If they can't put it in the display I'm all for it on the back like the pixel and likely the S8. But put it in the top corner opposite the camera. That is a more natural spot to reach than the middle.

Apple would never do that. Putting the fingerprint on the back is stupidity only reserved for Android devices.

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
So you frequent a rumors site and then don't like seeing rumors? Seams reasonable.

Not exactly what I said is it. I said i'd like notifications for the different sections. Your attempt at trying to be a smartarse has failed dramatically due to your inability to comprehend written text.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.