Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple appears to be getting even more serious about gaming on the iPhone and iPod Touch. We've long known that Apple has been positioning the iPod Touch as a gaming device, and Steve Jobs even acknowledged to the New York Times the success of this initiative:
“Originally, we weren’t exactly sure how to market the Touch. Was it an iPhone without the phone? Was it a pocket computer? What happened was, what customers told us was, they started to see it as a game machine,” he said. “We started to market it that way, and it just took off."
In the past couple of weeks, Apple held a "game day" for select media in which they demonstrated some high profile upcoming games, including Star Wars Trench Run and SGN's Skies of Glory. The platform has already attracted some high profile developers including id Software's John Carmack who believes it could be a serious threat to Nintendo's DS and Sony's PSP.
“I think mid- to long-term it’s a significant threat,” he says. “I don’t carry a DS or a PSP around, but I’ve got my iPhone everywhere. So if it plays good games, I’m less likely to pick one of the others up. ... I think the stars could align and it could start to eclipse those other systems in terms of unit sales.”
In fact, id Software is so positive about the iPhone platform, they are winding down their development of BREW/Java mobile games for other mobile phones in favor of focusing on the App Store. id Software recently ported Doom to the iPhone and has plans on bringing the entire Quake franchise as well as an original Rage-based game to the App Store.

Apple is now recruiting for a game developer with "3-4 years of video game development experience" who has shipped at least one high profile title. Apple did ship one game (Texas Hold'em) for the original App Store launch but has yet not released any other games under their own brand. Apple has also recently hired Graeme Devine a notable game developer who was also the lead designer for Halo Wars. While the purpose of these hires is unclear, it seems Apple is starting to take gaming very seriously.

Article Link: Apple Hiring an iPhone Game Developer, Getting Even More Serious About Gaming?

hiimamac

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2007
Boston
Yay
But wasn't there just a story about being embarressed?
Wonder if that stems from lack of penetration into enterprise areas?

ventro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2006
Yay
But wasn't there just a story about being embarressed?
Wonder if that stems from lack of penetration into enterprise areas?
I really think Apple is sort of embarrassed about gaming but sees it as a way to get devices in pockets, especially those of young people. Sort of like how Bootcamp sells Macs just by its existence. That way, young people can "grow into" the iphone as a mobile computer instead of a gaming device as they get older.

Apple's goal is to make products that have an impact on our entire culture. Having a product be popular because of gaming somewhat lessens that. But I can see them using gaming, and the entire app store, as strategic bait just to get people using their devices.

thunderclap

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2003
After waiting seven years for Apple to get games on OS X I finally switched back to Windows since I love PC gaming. It would be nice if Apple took computer gaming as seriously as iPhone/iPod gaming. If they ever decide to encourage games developers to release games the same day as Windows releases I'd move back to using OS X as my primary OS.

macfan881

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2006
You know i wont be surprised but I think Apple will announced there working on a Console System at CES

JoeKozy

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2008
I have yet to see a single game that lives up to the PSP's graphics, despite people constantly talking up the iPhone/touch's graphic abilities. I know visuals aren't everything, but looking at those two games in the post the visuals still aren't up to scratch. I doubt the PSP version of GTA, for example, would be possible on an iPhone, which is disappointing.

ARF900

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2009
I think the purpose of these hires go beyond the iphone and ipod touch. I think it may be related to the Tablet, as its size would allow it to carry more capable hardware for serious gaming, or it could even be the beginnings of an entirely new device. A gaming console? I doubt it. Im thinking something more along the lines of a mix between the ipod touch and the PSP GO (with the slide out gaming controls) sort of an "iPod Pro". Something that would much more directly target the portable gaming market yet use the simplicity of iphone OS and the effortlessness of the appstore. Obviously downloading something from the appstore is alot easier than going to the store to buy a DS or PSP game.

Anyone else agree?

MadMacxxx

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2009
Newport Beach, CA
I have yet to see a single game that lives up to the PSP's graphics, despite people constantly talking up the iPhone/touch's graphic abilities. I know visuals aren't everything, but looking at those two games in the post the visuals still aren't up to scratch. I doubt the PSP version of GTA, for example, would be possible on an iPhone, which is disappointing.
not yet at least...let's see what we'll have to work with in June 2010

I really think Apple is sort of embarrassed about gaming but sees it as a way to get devices in pockets, especially those of young people. Sort of like how Bootcamp sells Macs just by its existence. That way, young people can "grow into" the iphone as a mobile computer instead of a gaming device as they get older.

Apple's goal is to make products that have an impact on our entire culture. Having a product be popular because of gaming somewhat lessens that. But I can see them using gaming, and the entire app store, as strategic bait just to get people using their devices.
exactly, they're bound to find it's other features useful as well and take advantage of the app store for more than just games

mattwolfmatt

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2008
Even more serious about gaming? Is this even possible? The ipod touch is now "AN AWESOME GAMING DEVICE IN THE PALM OF YOUR HAND!!! that also plays music."

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001

In fact, GTA is coming to the iPhone, so we'll be able to compare
http://toucharcade.com/2009/08/31/grand-theft-auto-chinatown-wars-coming-to-iphone/

this one's pretty good
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hR4TKqm2akw

arn

slb

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2005
New Mexico
I just wish Apple devoted this kind of attention to gaming on the Mac platform. Carmack may be enthusiastic about the iPhone, but he's also said the higher-ups at Apple look down on gaming and don't take it seriously.

Watabou

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
United States
This could just be for the tablet.
I sort of see the point on bringing gaming to the iPhone but I think it just isn't powerful enough to become a real gaming device.

carlosbutler

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2008
London City
Are you kidding me?!?!?!?! Personally I think Apple products are just amazing, after owning many ipods computers and such, I have respect for them. But gaming? They refuse to work with hardly anyone when it comes to gaming on OS X. I know Mac Ports can be expensive, but Apple if they are even remotely serious about gaming need to push, if not also subsidise some of these developers. I have long waited to play half life 2 on mac, and hope by the time hl 3 comes out (which apparently will according to valve) it will be on mac. geez the only reason i have windows installed on my macs is because of steam games.:(

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
I just wish Apple devoted this kind of attention to gaming on the Mac platform. Carmack may be enthusiastic about the iPhone, but he's also said the higher-ups at Apple look down on gaming and don't take it seriously.

What I would like to see: iPhone apps that also run on my Mac without the iPhone. They're sitting there on my hard drive; I wish I could just launch them and play when I'm on my computer. I know there are resolution issues. But I wouldn't mind playing them in a small window. Many of them are for brief time-killing anyway.

greg400

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2009
Are you kidding me?!?!?!?! Personally I think Apple products are just amazing, after owning many ipods computers and such, I have respect for them. But gaming? They refuse to work with hardly anyone when it comes to gaming on OS X. I know Mac Ports can be expensive, but Apple if they are even remotely serious about gaming need to push, if not also subsidise some of these developers. I have long waited to play half life 2 on mac, and hope by the time hl 3 comes out (which apparently will according to valve) it will be on mac. geez the only reason i have windows installed on my macs is because of steam games.:(
Exact reason why I have it installed. I even heard that Valve approached Apple not too long ago to get games on the Mac and Apple never came through. I have recently been trying out Crossover Games and it works pretty well with Steam and Counterstrike Source.

Anyway, does anyone remember how terrible the Apple Pippin was? Apple's first attempt at caring about gaming even an ounce and it was a failure. If Apple thinks they are going to even come close to touching the DS they've got another coming. Yeah sure you have a ton of apps but how many of those are quality games? The DS library is absolutely fantastic, with games like Zelda that can last up to 40 hours. You get what you pay for. If you pay $5 for a game don't expect to get the same quality of a $30 game. I laughed at Apple's jab at Nintendo at the iPod event. I'm sure Nintendo is shaking in their boots with sales like these: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_Nintendo_DS_video_games
:rolleyes:

puffnstuff

macrumors 65816
Jan 2, 2008
It would be nice if they were serious enough to make their own game accessories because it seems like nobody will ever make one. The option to make game accessories has been out for a year or more and not even a thought to make a controller for games in the app store has come out yet.

And before someone posts the iControlpad that thing has been talked about for a long time and they have yet to put it into production on top of that it's only going to work for jailbroken games.

Eric5h5

macrumors 68020
Dec 9, 2004
What I would like to see: iPhone apps that also run on my Mac without the iPhone.

That's not possible without an emulator, since the architecture on an iPhone is completely different from what you'd find in a Mac. Even then, you're going to have a hard time with trying to simulate the accelerometer and multi-touch.

--Eric

Digitalclips

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2006
Sarasota, Florida
I think the purpose of these hires go beyond the iphone and ipod touch. I think it may be related to the Tablet, as its size would allow it to carry more capable hardware for serious gaming, or it could even be the beginnings of an entirely new device. A gaming console? I doubt it. Im thinking something more along the lines of a mix between the ipod touch and the PSP GO (with the slide out gaming controls) sort of an "iPod Pro". Something that would much more directly target the portable gaming market yet use the simplicity of iphone OS and the effortlessness of the appstore. Obviously downloading something from the appstore is alot easier than going to the store to buy a DS or PSP game.

Anyone else agree?

Yep. Said so several times already.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.