Apple Initiates Repair Program for 2011-2013 MacBook Pros With Video Issues

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 19, 2015.

1. macman312 macrumors 6502

Try and call support and speak with a senior support advisor. When was it last repaired ? EU consumer laws are similar to Australian consumer laws. You could make a pretty good case for the warranty being extended for you if it was in the last year. I imagine it'll be a case by case basis...

2. clborden macrumors regular

clborden

Mine was just sent out again (3rd time now), but my claim for this originated in 11/2016. So I just made it, and technically it's had its own little warranty (90 days), but according to the "genius" I spoke with, they will no longer be covering any 2011 models after 12/31/2017. Meaning that even if I'm "covered" by another 90 day warranty, I'm on my own. So it is what it is, I guess. I don't know how accurate his info was, but it is what he told me.

3. flyinmac macrumors 68040

flyinmac

If the repair is given a 90 day warranty, then they're obligated to honor it.

At this point, if it fails again, it should be eligible to be replaced as a lemon.

4. clborden macrumors regular

clborden

Would they really consider replacing it as a lemon even though it's 5 years old, almost 6? I wouldn't have thought that would even be possible. But thanks for the feedback.

5. flyinmac macrumors 68040

flyinmac

I couldn't guarantee it. But I have heard of it. Some have gotten their older Macs replaced with current models (current at that time).

6. simon lefisch macrumors 6502a

simon lefisch

If you can't it fixed, try looking at this

http://m.ebay.com/itm/231437275712?_mwBanner=1

I'll be doing this when mine craps out again.

7. clborden macrumors regular

clborden

This is interesting. Can it be done before it craps out? Meaning, could it be a good idea to be proactive with it, instead of waiting for it to blow. The times that mine has blown, it's taken other components with it. Or maybe they're replacing these items in hopes to find a culprit? I'm sure they're fully aware of the Thermal Paste issue, so that can't be it...

Anyway, if this can seriously keep the issue from ever happening again, I'm thinking it could be worth it. What do you guys think?

8. simon lefisch macrumors 6502a

simon lefisch

Contact the seller. He'd probably be your best bet to get your questions answered. He's pretty good about responding.

9. brent12 macrumors member

What? I've had to put up with a Macbook Pro crashing a couple times a week for 4 years. They are threatened with a class action lawsuit so they finally agree there is a problem after this many years. That is lousy support in my opinion.

10. pitbull60077 macrumors member

pitbull60077

I soon may be contacting apple care for my 2011 MacBook Pro 15 inch with the video issues. when it is not being moody it works great but if it is in the mood to be a pain it takes 45 minutes to get it to cooperate

11. MagicBoy, Jul 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2017

MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Any heat gun "fix" is only going to be temporary at best. Find a local repairer with the correct BGA equipment who can reball or preferably replace the GPU.

12. Pdq macrumors newbie

I didn't have any luck getting repairs before 2016, nor after. Apple doesn't keep its promises, regardless of the rhetoric seen online. The problem is the solder and its failure to work properly over time. I think there are some work arounds you can do for the solder, but see the real issue as how to get the chipsets. So far other repair shops advise that only used chipsets are available.

13. dyusem macrumors member

Looks like this problem just returned to my late 2011 MBP after Apple repaired it under this repair program on Aug 29 2015.

Does anyone know warranty info on the repair?

Curiously...

14. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

90 days from the date it was done. Program is finished, so you're out of luck I'm afraid.

15. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

Sure.
    The normal service warranty on replacement parts from Apple is 90 days.

(MagicBoy is too fast for me :D )

16. dyusem macrumors member

Dang...my gut felt that coming...thanks for the quick feedback!

I wonder what the ~ cost is to repair & durability of the fix? In my case, Apple's fix was worse than the original hardware...perhaps it is just time to retire the workhorse. I suspect that I should prepare to also replace my wife's (of the same vintage & fix) sooner than later. Unsure why I would expect the repair to last longer, but I did.

Very sure that I don't want to spend the coin for new MbP hardware so if anyone has a suggestion for a refurb MbP replacement, I'm all ears: use = heavy research, data & number crunching, writing, biz apps, no gaming but image post-processing.

PS This must've been discussed but I've not been paying attention; please excuse my laziness.

17. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

I know the feeling, I had the repair done under the program but the problem returned in January last year. Guess when the program ended... December 2016!

Ended up spending almost 300€ getting a replacement chip fitted by a third-party repair shop, as the machine still works fine for my needs (and, hey, I can swap the RAM and SSD myself!).

18. dyusem macrumors member

Thanks for the data point!

19. AmazingRobie macrumors 6502

AmazingRobie

Are you kidding????!? This is freakin history repeating itself. Does everyone here have alzheimers or what. Apple does this every cycle and everyone blows passed it like its all okay and its the first time. Nvidia scandal anyone??? Jeez. Im done.

20. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

21. Traverse macrumors 604

Traverse

Not every cycle I suppose because my retina MacBook Pro had no issues.

22. MrAverigeUser macrumors 6502a

MrAverigeUser

:rolleyes:

Not yet?

Your retina is from 2017.... :rolleyes: You have to wait some years to be able to give a verdict about reliability of your 2017 MBP...

My 2011 MBP failed in 2016.... other people had Problems sooner, some later...

example that mostly it is just a question of time:
    Even for the expensive MacPros 2013 (Trash Bin Design) it took 2 or three years to be shure that they had a GPU-issue as well....

23. Traverse macrumors 604

Traverse

I had a 2013 Retina MacBook Pro for over 3 years.

24. MrAverigeUser macrumors 6502a

MrAverigeUser

This Thread is about 15" MBP 2011 - they had all discrete GPUs - a lot of them failing after a while. (Which BTW apple did not admit for YEARS). The subject of this thread ist the failing discrete GPU of the 15" models, nothing else.

since your MBP 13" has no discrete GPU at all, and you did own it only for 3 years, your completely out of topic. :rolleyes:

You want to prove that apple´s discrete GPUs in the 15" MBP are reliable by talking about your experience with a 13" MBP that does not even have a dGPU? :rolleyes: come on....

"Long term reliability" is more than just 3 years without issues.....:D

25. Traverse macrumors 604

Traverse

I had a 2011 15” MacBook Pro with a failed GPU which was replaced by a 2013 15” Retina MacBook Pro with Nvidia 750M dGPU.

Had both for 3-3.5 years. My rMBP was fine. There are well recorded GPU failures in Apple’s past, but not every cycle.