Apple Initiates Repair Program for 2011-2013 MacBook Pros With Video Issues

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 19, 2015.

1. dealmaker macrumors regular

I had heard that "broken" boards are sent to an ATi refurbishment facility - where the old GPU's are re-balled onto the board.....its tested then sent back out for re-fitting.......I have heard conflicting reports on whether they actually replace the GPU with a new chip or not?......

2. johnxw macrumors newbie

Perhaps, we can take a photo before we send it for repair and compare it with the repaired unit. I got mine repaired but forgot to take a photo.

3. jimmie32 macrumors member

jimmie32

Apparently by putting in a new/refurb logic board -- it doesn't seem to have a permanent fix, it is just the same board, just a working one, and it'll probably fail again.

4. lympero macrumors 6502a

lympero

I have added a second hdd in my MBP 2011 by removing the dvd drive and I have also replaced the main drive with an Ssd and the ram.
    Do I have to put all the old stuff back to my MBP before sending it for repair?

5. TimothyJohn macrumors newbie

I was told it was a new board.

6. TimothyJohn macrumors newbie

I did, under their recommendation. They said if anything pops up under diagnostic tests, they will replace with whatever original spec was. I had an SSD as well, so rather than risk it, I replaced all the original stuff. Oh, and they said if they replace, they would not return my SSD or upgraded ram---in other words, my SSD system drive and upgraded ram would be discarded. As I said, they would replace with new stuff, original spec.

7. lympero macrumors 6502a

lympero

Thanks!

8. joemod macrumors regular

Pardon for the 2+ month late reply but what I also noticed besides the recent OSX update is that 95% (if not 100%) of the kernel panic occurs when I am using Safari. I have never had a crash when playing Heroes of the Storm for example. I like Safari too much to stop using it.

9. chrfr macrumors 604

It's a replacement board with the same parts as before. Many users have had repeated problems with needing the replacement boards to be replaced too.

10. dealmaker macrumors regular

My late 2011 17" is on its THIRD board now - with the latest two "repaired" boards failing less than 30 days after replacement.........

11. miscend macrumors regular

Just sent mine in for repair. Hopefully the new motherboards have solved the problem.

12. dealmaker macrumors regular

Good luck with that!

13. b_scott macrumors 6502a

b_scott

Thanks, but I never use Safari. Only Chrome most of the time. I've had a crash in my instances, even using Lightroom.

14. miscend macrumors regular

Anyone had luck with using better quality thermal paste to improve the life span?

15. tcador macrumors 6502

I read replies to this comment and proactively removed mine. Guess it's good I did because people at Apple Store in Austin told me I had to remove them before they'd repair it. BTW, they fixed it in a few days and all is good for now.

16. Justind macrumors member

No but anything that is apple part that visually look damaged the repair facility will replace. So as long as the hard drives are no in the apple supply system I think your good. I did same thing to my mbp

17. slapple macrumors 6502

Has anyone had any luck asking Apple to just give them the latest model of the MBP instead of repairing the logic board, since that doesn't actually fix the problem?

18. michaeltherrien macrumors newbie

That's asking quite a lot from any manufacturer for a laptop that's 3-5 years old. The cost of replacing the logic board a second, third, or fourth time would be cheaper than giving you a brand new laptop.

19. slapple macrumors 6502

True, I've just seen the occasional report on these forums of someone's old laptop (not necessarily this 2011 MBP) having to be repaired a few times, and then finally the Apple store employee just offers them a new laptop.

20. HarryPot macrumors 6502a

Mine was repaired 1.5 years ago and is working perfectly.

I guess this is the case for most people. It's just that in this forum you normally see the ones that have problems.

21. slapple macrumors 6502

Mine was repaired last year and started failing again just 1 week later. I've been using that gfxCardStatus workaround as I haven't felt like taking it back to get it repaired again.

22. venom600 macrumors 6502a

I did last year. However, because I bought mine as a refurb, it was still under Applecare at the time. I don't know if that will make a difference or not, but the general rule is three major repairs (mine had two logic boards and a top deck when the keyboard died) and they will replace the computer.

23. lazysusan13 macrumors newbie

lazysusan13

--- Post Merged, Feb 7, 2017 ---
    I only just saw this news and it ended in 2016 in the uk. Both mine and my fella's MBPros have these GPU issues, his has broken totally now. Has anyone had any luck getting repairs after the 31st Dec 2016 deadline? Thank you

24. macman312 macrumors 6502

You might have consumer laws which you can use (and should before you exit the EU). I've had pretty good out of warranty support from Apple. I'd be calling them asap. Also how the hell did you only just hear about this?

25. lazysusan13 macrumors newbie

lazysusan13

Sorry - to clarify, I've had it repaired twice before, which was free. They always said it was just in good faith, not a recall type situation. Now hearing that the repair scheme ran out is such a pain. I wondered if they might have repaired it for anyone else still within the 6 years.