Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

krisgreen65

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2008
Will the mag safe charger work with a normal ultra thin case like other chargers do, or does it have to have a mag carge case to work at all?
I was trying to figure this out too...
Presumably that's why they're selling the mag safe cases. Basically, if you want to use mag safe with a case on, you have to have a mag safe compatible charger??
KG

felixen

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2009
Maybe a silly question, but what’s the point of a MagSafe case? You still insert the phone into the case like you normally would, right? The only benefit I can imagine is that now the case doesn’t need to sit as tight because the magnet will keep it in place - but that would make it easier for dirt to enter the case. I don’t quite see the point of the MagSafe case (I do see the benefits for the wallet accessory or the holders for the car which was pretty cool)

acblue94

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2011
New York, NY.

Following the announcement of the iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 Pro today, Apple has introduced a new collection of cases and accessories on its online store. The central feature of these accessories is support for MagSafe on iPhone 12.

iphone-12-magsafe-cases.jpg

With MagSafe, the new line of cases will automatically snap onto the back of the iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 Pro, making for super easy application. Charging accessories will do the same, leading to ultra-simple charging of up to 15W.

Shoppers should note that the accessories listed in this article are not available to purchase yet, and will likely launch at the same time that iPhone pre-orders do, starting this Friday for iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 Pro. On November 6, pre-orders will go up for the iPhone 12 mini and iPhone 12 Pro Max.

To start, there's a Silicone Case with MagSafe for the iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 Pro. It's available in Plum, Deep Navy, Kumquat, Cyprus Green, Pink Citrus, White, Black, and (PRODUCT)Red. It's priced at $49.00.

The same Silicone Case with MagSafe is available for the iPhone 12 Pro Max and iPhone 12 mini, and in the same colors. They're also priced at $49.00.

The Clear Case with MagSafe is available for the iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 Pro, the iPhone 12 Pro Max, and for the iPhone 12 mini. It's priced at $49.00.

magsafe-wallet.jpg

A new accessory this year is the iPhone Leather Wallet with MagSafe, priced at $59.00. It comes in Baltic Blue, California Poppy, Saddle Brown, and Black. This holds your ID and credit cards on the back of your iPhone 12. The Leather Wallet with MagSafe isn't available to buy yet.

Lastly, the basic MagSafe Charger is priced at $39.00. Apple also announced the MagSafe Duo Charger today, which has space for the iPhone 12 and Apple Watch, but it's not yet up on Apple.com.

Catch up on all of our event day coverage by checking out our articles on the iPhone 12, iPhone 12 Pro, and HomePod mini.

Article Link: Apple Introduces New MagSafe Cases and Accessories for iPhone 12
Where is the Duo?

Reactions: MrFootery

iksretep

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2009
Los Angeles
No leather case?
That's a bummer. Leather case is my go to case, silicone in my hands and use does not have the same durability as the leather one. One leather case lasts me a year and looks virtually new until I upgrade, where I had to use 3 silicone cases in the same time frame.

Reactions: jb-net

eneisch

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
Why do you guys keep insisting that MagSafe is ONLY for the iPhone 12s and higher, when Apples own site states that it IS compatible with all these models?

FROM apple.com

iPhone Models
They work but they are not magnetic with phones other than the 12 series. With earlier phones it works like a Qi charger and you have to place it precisely on the puck Laying flat on a table. That also how you charge the AirPods with it. I also don’t think you get the faster charging rate with earlier phones. They are basically “backwards compatible”.

Reactions: compwiz1202

rhyme

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2013
Maybe a silly question, but what’s the point of a MagSafe case? You still insert the phone into the case like you normally would, right? The only benefit I can imagine is that now the case doesn’t need to sit as tight because the magnet will keep it in place - but that would make it easier for dirt to enter the case. I don’t quite see the point of the MagSafe case (I do see the benefits for the wallet accessory or the holders for the car which was pretty cool)

I'm hoping it will make it easier to remove and replace the case without damaging it. I need to remove my case from time to time when my phone has overheated (I live in the tropics) or to clean it.

eneisch

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
I'm hoping it will make it easier to remove and replace the case without damaging it. I need to remove my case from time to time when my phone has overheated (I live in the tropics) or to clean it.
I also think it has something to do with MagSafe case being able to pass through the charging from the MagSafe charger. I don’t think MagSafe charging works with a non MagSafe case.

Reactions: rhyme

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
Any idea if iPhone 12 will also work with regular (non-Magsafe) Qi chargers? I'm assuming MagSafe won't work though Otterbox cases, and I'm fine with that as long as I can still use normal wireless chargers.
Yea I don't understand why they didn't explain everything. What exactly gives faster wireless? Will just the 12 with the Mag charger give 15W or can you get it on a Qi that supports 15W. Do you need the Mag Case with any charger that supports 15W or just the Mag Case + Charger. Will any Wireless charging iPhone with the Mag Case + Charger get 15W?

eneisch

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
Yea I don't understand why they didn't explain everything. What exactly gives faster wireless? Will just the 12 with the Mag charger give 15W or can you get it on a Qi that supports 15W. Do you need the Mag Case with any charger that supports 15W or just the Mag Case + Charger. Will any Wireless charging iPhone with the Mag Case + Charger get 15W?
My guess is to get 15W charging you have to use MagSafe. You can use MagSafe with or without a MagSafe case, but I’m pretty sure you can’t use MagSafe with a non MagSafe case.

eneisch

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
Any idea if iPhone 12 will also work with regular (non-Magsafe) Qi chargers? I'm assuming MagSafe won't work though Otterbox cases, and I'm fine with that as long as I can still use normal wireless chargers.
Yes Apple site clearly says iPhone 12s still work with Qi charging.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.