Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
I have gotten this only a couple of times, and only when my screen was idle. If I simply move my mouse, it goes away which leads me to think its a software issue (driver potentially).

kofman13

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2009
m1 is great but so many display related issues like this... no monitor calibration software will work.. etc

Marty_Macfly

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2020
I think Pink looks pretty good. There has been about 3 times when I had to force shutdown my M1 and the screen went Pink right before it turned off to reboot. I am not sure it is a flaw.

Hi Robert,

I got that full on pink screen as well, on both monitor and laptop. Had it a few times in succession. It was a full crash, rebooted and asked if I wanted to send report to Apple.

1st time was when I accidentally knocked the usb-c lead from the hub to the mba.

Follow on times was random for a few days.

In the end I left overnight, powered on, for it to do its 1st overnight maintenance, indexing etc. This was the 1st time since got the mba, 2 months ago.

been fine ever since, including the safari beach ball thing as well.

regards
Martin

jlocker

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2011
Lake Michigan
This is why I said 4 months ago being an early adopter of technology is not always a good thing. My 2019 MacBook Pro 16 has been running like a champ for 16 months with zero technical problems. Oh and I love using a Razer EGPU box and a Nvidia 3080 video card, graphics are amazing on bootcamp and windows 10. So I boot between the two operating systems with no problems at all.

Deltics

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2021
I don't understand the reasoning of those saying this is 'certainly' software.

Every M1 user has the same software, so if it is software everyone should see it.

Hardware is more fickle and flaws can be revealed only under certain conditions such as thermal stress etc and can still manifest in ways that appear to be software related. Display glitches that change as display elements are manipulated or resolve temporarily are classic GPU fault symptoms.

Ask anyone who had an iMac with a GPU fault pre 2012.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Hi Robert,

I got that full on pink screen as well, on both monitor and laptop. Had it a few times in succession. It was a full crash, rebooted and asked if I wanted to send report to Apple.

1st time was when I accidentally knocked the usb-c lead from the hub to the mba.

Follow on times was random for a few days.

In the end I left overnight, powered on, for it to do its 1st overnight maintenance, indexing etc. This was the 1st time since got the mba, 2 months ago.

been fine ever since, including the safari beach ball thing as well.

regards
Martin
Sounds similar to my experience.

alex00100

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2011
Moscow, Russia
I think you need a new Abacus, November to February, 6 months? Really?
1614020195316.jpeg

Coheebuzz

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2005
Nicosia, Cyprus

Every M1 user has the same software, so if it is software everyone should see it.

Hardware is more fickle and flaws can be revealed only under certain conditions such as thermal stress etc and can still manifest in ways that appear to be software related. Display glitches that change as display elements are manipulated or resolve temporarily are classic GPU fault symptoms.

Well 'likely' isn't 'certainly', but in my experience GPU faults tend to get progressively worse and fast, you can't really keep using a computer with a "slightly bad" GPU for months. Additionally the glitches would be exacerbated by GPU intensive tasks rather than going away a few seconds after boot.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009

Not necessarily. Combination of type of external monitor, additional software running, type of cable, and more. Even purely software related issues don’t show up 100% of the time. It all depends on other things running on the computer.

People seem to forget that drivers are software. Have you heard of DDU? Sometimes driver issues happen and cause all sorts of issues. Even on Windows. I had to use DDU a few times because I got severely odd issues with my GPUs that might seem like faulty hardware. But I did a DDU and had no more issues.

patsfan83

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2008
On the very top line on the external screen of my MacBook Air M1, there are some pixels moving and flickering. Looks like I have kind of a view into the CPU.
Really not annoying, but rather funny.
Actually it's an iMac running target display mode via thunderbolt to display port adapter.

View attachment 1733461
How’d you get TDM to work? I have a 27” 2011 iMac that supports TDM via thunderbolt 1 on high Sierra. Can’t get it to work with my M1 mini. Using genuine apple usbC->thunderbolt adaptor and cable.

Pommster

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2021
I've been getting this randomly too on my M1 Mac Mini. I have two monitors - one connected via HDMI to HDMI cable, the other via USB-C to HDMI. Both monitors are 1080p running at 75Hz. I'm glad Apple is acknowledging this now!

Whathappened

Suspended
Mar 15, 2018
Meme evolution - there were other variants ("Hold different!"), but "you're holding it wrong" made it to the headlines and stuck. It's catchier than what Jobs said, and it does convey the same meaning.
No that’s a completely different meaning.

Lecho

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2021
Hi,
I have encountered a different problem, after my Mini Mac M1 is in sleep mode, and then awaken, my monitor's screen turns into noise effect. See picture attached. After few attempts of swithcing monitor on and off comes back to normal desktop. Monitor CS24 Eizo, HDMI connection. Mac Mini 16GB RAM.

cheers,
Lech

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 52

Icelus

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2018
Hi,
I have encountered a different problem, after my Mini Mac M1 is in sleep mode, and then awaken, my monitor's screen turns into noise effect. See picture attached. After few attempts of swithcing monitor on and off comes back to normal desktop. Monitor CS24 Eizo, HDMI connection. Mac Mini 16GB RAM.

cheers,
Lech
Mac mini 2018 has the same problem.

cheezypuffs

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2016
Why is this taking so long? This issue has been around for months, and still silence from Apple.
Maybe they should use that giant pile of money and hire more people to work on issues instead of letting so many things slide.

Reactions: RiderX

Aleksid1

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2017
I have the same problem with my new Mac Mini M1 which was manufactured on February 2021.

Pink squares and white snow after reboot or sleep. Every day.

macOS 11.2.3

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.