Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
... So its ok to have a massive glass box, but the box can't have a picture on it?

Yes, as a matter of fact, that's pretty much exactly the zoning exception they were granted. So in your attempt at sarcasm you happened to actually present the true non-sarcastic fact.

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
I couldn't find much regarding this topic on google, but here's the basic tidbit:

"To preserve the public spirit of the plaza, Ms. Burden said it would be critical that "the cube itself is the advertising" and that signage be kept to a minimum. Apple typically marks its stores wordlessly, with an apple logo."

http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5681

mi5moav

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2004
The ad will not come back. NY city has signage regulations and the other business reported Apple's Billboard and they were told to take it down. Steve is not allowed to use his cube as a billboard since he does not have a signage license the only signage that was granted was for the Apple Logo!!! If you want to buy some talke to LAMAR or TIME WARNER

Steve knew this, he is a... DO NOW, and ask questions later kind. He put up a sign that will be seen by millions on the net and get press and didn't have to pay a penny for it, not even a slap on the wrist. If he would have asked in the first place they would have said no...

Now, the interesting part is this!?!?! The signage was not OUTSIDE but INSIDE, and there are no rules against that!?!? But, because you can see it from the outside because the building is made of glass, hmmmmmm

Shaker

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2004
Now, the interesting part is this!?!?! The signage was not OUTSIDE but INSIDE, and there are no rules against that!?!? But, because you can see it from the outside because the building is made of glass, hmmmmmm

If Apple gets through because of this loophole, their creativity extends far beyond their products....:apple: :D :apple:

JGowan

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Mineola TX
They probably screwed up and pulled the wrong ad out of the boxes.

"I said the Apple TV Ad... That doesn't go up until June!"
Yeah... that happened. It took works 4 hours to put the thing up and nobody from management noticed a thing. Right.

About the June thing. Why has done nothing but advertise the iPhone on their homepage since Macworld if that's the case?!

appie57

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2006
Netherlands

If the ad is on the inside, why is the scaffolding on the outside?:confused:

apb3

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2006
PTSD therapy
Yes, as a matter of fact, that's pretty much exactly the zoning exception they were granted. So in your attempt at sarcasm you happened to actually present the true non-sarcastic fact.

Heh... I like your argument style in this thread.

At least in this instance I can observe the "back and forth" from afar instead of getting beat over the head by my wife.:D

ero87

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2006
New York City
These photos made me think of something... the NYC Apple store probably kills dozens of birds a DAY who can't see the damn thing!

timnosenzo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2004
ct, us
I couldn't find much regarding this topic on google, but here's the basic tidbit:

"To preserve the public spirit of the plaza, Ms. Burden said it would be critical that "the cube itself is the advertising" and that signage be kept to a minimum. Apple typically marks its stores wordlessly, with an apple logo."

http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5681

I hope it doesn't go back up, they shouldn't be able to use the store as a billboard. Looks like hell.

daysleeper

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2006
New York, NY
Terrible decision.

I'd wager the city made them take it down, and for good reason. It is a ridiculous, garish, oppressive abuse of what was originally designed to be an area in the spirit of a public open space.

This doesn't strike me as a good example of Apple's (usually) great, minimalist type of advertising.

Evangelion

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2005
Instead of wetting my pants over an ad, I would like to see some actual products instead. It seems that everything is at hold, waiting for the iPhone. iPod? No new video-iPods before iPhone ships. Is Apple forgetting that they have a huge established market with the iPod, whereas with the iPhone they are entering an EXTREMELY competetive market, with a untested product? Neither have we seen anything about iWork, iLife, Leopard, Mac Mini or anything else for that matter.

Yes, the iPhone is cool. But come on Apple! We could really use an special-event where SJ announces new hardware, secret features of Leopard and new version of iWork and iLife.

bretm

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2002
Instead of wetting my pants over an ad, I would like to see some actual products instead. It seems that everything is at hold, waiting for the iPhone. iPod? No new video-iPods before iPhone ships. Is Apple forgetting that they have a huge established market with the iPod, whereas with the iPhone they are entering an EXTREMELY competetive market, with a untested product? Neither have we seen anything about iWork, iLife, Leopard, Mac Mini or anything else for that matter.

Yes, the iPhone is cool. But come on Apple! We could really use an special-event where SJ announces new hardware, secret features of Leopard and new version of iWork and iLife.

Your sig says "Anyone that claims Apple has abandoned the mac is a retard." So, just what are you claiming?

apb3

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2006
PTSD therapy
These photos made me think of something... the NYC Apple store probably kills dozens of birds a DAY who can't see the damn thing!

As long as they're culling the horde of rats-with-wings, I'm all for that "abuse of public trust."

Attachments

• medium_pigeonHugh_350x250.jpg
    medium_pigeonHugh_350x250.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 1,482

mccldwll

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2006
I haven't been to NY since store went up. Is there any space inside large enough to hang the clear sign in some kind of frame? Use all the news from brief exposure to drive even more people into store to see all the toys.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
I haven't been to NY since store went up. Is there any space inside large enough to hang the clear sign in some kind of frame? Use all the news from brief exposure to drive even more people into store to see all the toys.

The issue is blocking the view - the building permit was for a virtually "invisible" building to keep the illusion of an open plaza.

Where the billboards are mounted shouldn't make any difference....

Evangelion

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2005
Your sig says "Anyone that claims Apple has abandoned the mac is a retard." So, just what are you claiming?

My sig is directed to the people who feel that Apple only cares about iPod, and is negletting the Mac. When fact is that during the last few years Apple has paid more attention to the Mac than before. But as things are right now, Apple is negletting EVERYTHING. Except iPhone. Which is still months away.

We do not have new Mac-hardware. There has been no news about iLife or iWork. No news about Leopard. No news regarding ITMS. And no news about iPods. AppleTV? Delayed. the big news recently have been the AppleTV and iPhone, neither of which is actually available.

My comment does not make my sig any less valid. It's just that instead of Apple focusing on iPod and negletting Mac, Apple isn't focusing on anything right now. Well, they are focusing on a piece of hardware that will be vaporware for months to come.

Take the iPod for example: Rumours say that there will be no new video-iPod any time soon, so it wouldn't steal iPhone's thunder. Um, iPod is not a replacement for a phone, or vice versa. And has Apple forgotten that iPod is bringing them metric assload of cash right now, whereas iPhone isn't bringing in any? Has Apple forgotten that while iPhone is very advanced and genuinely new when compared to other phones, competition is getting harder in the mp3-business? Yes, Zune sucks, but anyone who brushes it off as crap is doing everyone a huge disservice. It's Microsoft's first effort. Look at Xbox and Playstation. PS2 annihiliated the original Xbox. What about PS3 and Xbox360? Is Sony still laughing?

mattscott306

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2007
<Angry Rant>

What? :apple: Has been taking care of their other products, they are not late on iLife or Leopard, or anything else they have promised. Leopards ship date is set for the first half of 2007, and they haven't missed that time frame yet. It would be ludicrous to assume that :apple: was ignoring their other lines, when they have entire departments whose job is solely to work on those products. Sure, we have heard more about the iPhone then anything else, perhaps because this is :apple:’s new thing?

Greatbug

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2002
validity?

Am I the only guy who thinks this may be photoshopped? Seriously, It's a translucent square. Even I could do that convincingly. . .

Evangelion

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2005
What? Apple Has been taking care of their other products, they are not late on iLife or Leopard, or anything else they have promised.

Yep, you are right. But that doesn't change the fact that people are getting frustrated when all the attention is on products that are not even available yet, whereas the existing moneymakers are not getting any attention.

Leopards ship date is set for the first half of 2007, and they haven't missed that time frame yet.

No, they haven't. But at this point in time people are starting to ask "where are those top-secret features we were told about?".

It would be ludicrous to assume that Apple was ignoring their other lines

They have been ignoring them, as far as not telling anyone about them. At all. They were hardly mentioned at all in MacWorld. There has been no announcements regarding them since MacWorld (and they were practically ingored at Macworld as well). All the attention has been on iPhone and AppleTV. And where are those two? Nowhere to be seen.

Can you see the problem?

when they have entire departments whose job is solely to work on those products.

I did not say that Apple is not working on their existing products. What I did say that their corporate-focus has been moving elsewhere recently. And the bad thing is that it has been moving towards products that are not available. It's like Apple is telling us "good thing are coming! Honest! Just wait!".

Take the iPod. It received a ho-hum update last year. And apparently Apple is afraid to further improve the product since "it would steal iPhone's thunder". Is it just me, or is the iPhone a dead albatross around Apple's neck? Yes, iPhone is great product. But it's starting to seem that it's actually slowing down developement in other product, because Apple is afraid that those "other products" might become so good that people are not going to buy the iPhone. Do they not realize that iPhone and iPod are not really alternatives to each other?

Sure, we have heard more about the iPhone then anything else, perhaps because this is Apple's new thing?

In case like this, maybe they should put their money where their mouth is? They keep on talking about it, even though it's nowhere to be seen. It's still months away from USA, and about 6 months away from Europe.

Yes, it seems that Apple is about to upgrade the Mac Pro at least. But fact remains that for the entire 2007, it has been pretty quiet as far as anything else than iPhone and AppleTV is concerned. That is a fact. Hopefully that will change soon, but fact remains that so far, it has been pretty.... lame.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Even if they did somehow secure a waiver for temporary advertising, which is possible but doubtful, it's still a violation of the public's trust.

Your basis for this is "sightline disturbance". However if you look at the sightlines all but a very few are fully preserved. The ad is on one small portion of one SIDE of the cube. The sightlines from the front and near front are preserved and only two 5 degree angles of view are "impeaded" by the ad.

I bet the ad goes up for a limited time at some point. Like 2-7 days.

A similar experience for other Apple products in the future as well. It was certainly tasteful and attractive.

Rocketman

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.