Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jshbckr

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
on another note, I just thought I would point out that there are almost 40 Apple stores in California. Some states have only 4 :p

ALSO: did you know that there is also about two SteveNotes in California. That's almost three times the national average or 0.

The states with 4 Apple Stores should be grateful! Try living in Iowa, with our ONE Apple Store! I live in Iowa City, attending the University of Iowa alongside nearly 30,000 other college students, and we don't have an Apple Store OR an authorized Reseller/Repair place! Minimum drive of about 2 hours to see an Apple Store.

njfuzzy

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2004
Boston, MA
it would be really smart for apple to release the new iMac the same day as the iPhone (or a day or two before)... especially since they're expecting line-ups at the Apple Store...

I was thinking the same thing the other day. There's never going to be another time with so many people flocking to the Apple stores, and the online store, all at once. Surprising everyone with another major product release could make a fortune.

mrat93

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2006
So it looks like the iPhones just have to be connected to those little kiosks in AT&T for use now. Anybody know if they're in yet? What about Apple stores?

Gators Fan

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2007
Here, There, & Everywhere
Gotta' love the anticipation factor. What a buzz! Talk about effective marketing.

Using one of the Apple site's new hi-res graphics, I created a Desktop background. Can't help but wonder why the Apple stores haven't done the same thing for their iMac and laptop displays in-store.

Ah, well. . . seven days, and counting.

lu0s3r322

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2005
i just walked past the michigan avenue flagship store in chicago and these displays are up. It's definitely connected to a power cord. On the side of the building there are long horizontal windows that show the iphone in different positions doing different things but not in motion, just pictures.

as i walked by i heard a couple say, "amazing.."

Gators Fan

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2007
Here, There, & Everywhere
I'm seeing a few problems. . .

Those who first adopt the iPhone are going to be inundated with "Oh, it's so cute, let me see it, touch it, use it" to the point where the aggro will limit their usage in public. (Of course, the attention-getting factor may be the reason some buy it, period.)

Secondly, the Man Code says a guy shouldn't have things that are "cute." Like driving a new Beetle convertible, carrying a man-purse, or walking a show-groomed French Poodle past a pick-up basketball game, there are just some things real men shouldn't do.

However, given that a lot of guys are "metro," I believe the iPhone will be a rip-roaring transgender success. Sure, it's expensive, but so are a half-dozen facials and manicures.

:D

nickbates

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2007

Those who first adopt the iPhone are going to be inundated with "Oh, it's so cute, let me see it, touch it, use it" to the point where the aggro will limit their usage in public. (Of course, the attention-getting factor may be the reason some buy it, period.)

Secondly, the Man Code says a guy shouldn't have things that are "cute." Like driving a new Beetle convertible, carrying a man-purse, or walking a show-groomed French Poodle past a pick-up basketball game, there are just some things real men shouldn't do.

However, given that a lot of guys are "metro," I believe the iPhone will be a rip-roaring transgender success. Sure, it's expensive, but so are a half-dozen facials and manicures.

I don't see the iPhone as "cute", I see it more as very techie and futuristic. So I disagree with you about it not being manly... but I do agree about the attention-getting factor. My co-workers are already asking if I'll let them play with it once I get it (I've said no!)

miketcool

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2003
California

Go watch a Bond film. You have confused Apple with Prada.

Porchland

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2004
Georgia
Take that Microsoft and your giant multitouch table, Apple can just make their phone bigger!

I would be mighty impressed if Apple rigged that display model with multitouch and made it work just like an iPhone. It's iPhone... for the visually impaired!

bdj21ya

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2006
hmm... I must have missed that part... :eek:

edit:

yes... I was mistaken. <a href="http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.engadget.com/media/2007/01/apple-iphone-49.jpg">This photo</a> clearly shows that it does have a SIM slot.

Hmm.... if they haven't locked it to Cingular/AT&T in the firmware, I'd actually consider buying one. I need to be able to throw my SFR sim card in when I go to Europe.

I'd just like to clarify for anyone decieved by this post. The pictures in the link above DOES NOT SHOW A SIM CARD SLOT!!! That is the volume rocker on the side, a common feature of cell phones, and well documented for the iPhone. I'm not saying the SIM won't be user accessible, but that is not a picture of it.

nickbates

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2007
I'd just like to clarify for anyone decieved by this post. The pictures in the link above DOES NOT SHOW A SIM CARD SLOT!!! That is the volume rocker on the side, a common feature of cell phones, and well documented for the iPhone. I'm not saying the SIM won't be user accessible, but that is not a picture of it.

Uh, I think most people are referring to the slot on the top (which is slightly visible in that photo). That's where the SIM card goes. This has been widely discussed, shown and proven and is a non-issue.

Porchland

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2004
Georgia

Wrong. It will be a status symbol at first (and probably for a while). Seriously, have you ever hidden a gadget because you don't want people to ask you about it? I'm going with no.

Clive At Five

macrumors 65816
May 26, 2004
St. Paul, MN
A giant iPhone? How lame!

Plus people might get false impressions about screen resolution... :rolleyes:

and the really stupid folk will complain that it won't fit in their pocket. ;)

-Clive

gmanrique

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2003
Ottawa, Canada
Check Apple's website

More info, or probably the same info, organized differenttly

Edited:
OK, I am just watching the guided tour and the guy said, while showing the applications icons, these are the '16' applications, then he went to show the bottom icons and said "and these are the 4 main features". Are there any more hidden surprises?

MauiMac

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2006
Any pics of the back?...

Did they go all out and put a camera on the back?... :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.