Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

It appears that Apple iPhone displays are going up at Apple Stores. TUAW notes that a "large, covered rectangular display" appeared at the 5th Avenue Apple Store tonight.

iphonedis_300.jpg

They posted a small gallery of images of the shrouded display.

We'd heard rumors that Apple Stores would be getting more promotional displays this Friday, and there had been hopes that iPhone rate plans details would also be announced at that time.

skwoytek

macrumors 6502a
Feb 15, 2005
I'm hoping it's in the front window displays where it will have room to automagically rotate into a landscape view while showing off all the features of the iPhone.

Comment

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
Well I hope that they have one at my local Apple Store in Arden fair tomarrow, since I am going there and I would love to play around with an iPhone, if there is and we don't have any pics of the displays yet I'll try to get some up.

Comment

p0intblank

macrumors 68030
Sep 20, 2005
New Jersey
Don't tell me they are going to have a huge multi-touch screen for display... That would be freakin' awesome! :D I know I'm dreaming, though.

Comment

fenixx

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2006
Good looking out arn/MacRumors! You were right about the promotional displays, now lets hope for those data plans to be released today!

Comment

j763

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2001
Champaign, IL, USA
In case anyone's wondering, the caption on the flickr photo in French means:

After speaking with the gentleman on the left in the photo (presumably the Apple employee wearing black), there was no possibility of removing the paper from the giant iPhone (for the purpose of getting a better look).

Comment

fenixx

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2006
Andrew asked one of the employes how the iPhone sales would work at the store. She told him that they would not be activating the phones at the store itself. This is pretty much in line with what I heard when I called my local Apple store earlier this evening. My Apple sales person was refreshingly honest. Not only did she admit that no one at the store had a clue about how things would work regarding sales, initial stock numbers, restocking, and so forth, but also that she had no idea as to when they would receive their training. She did add that she (and others at the store) were under the impression that the phone would probably have to be taken over to an AT&T store for activation, but she also claimed that you'd need a two-year commitment, an item that I know is up in dispute and a fact that Apple employees are not yet clear on. If the no-activation-at-store bit proves true, then might it be possible to buy an iPhone at an Apple store and then just insert a SIM card and go?

TUAW post

I doubt Apple will have you take it to an AT&T store to activate it. That seems ridiculous.

Comment

j763

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2001
Champaign, IL, USA
re the possibility of inserting a SIM card:

I'm not yet certain that there'll be customer access to the SIM card at all. Especially given the fact that the battery is not removable.

The fact that the phone will be SIM locked to AT&T/Cingular is pretty much granted, but I'd not be surprised if it turned out that there was no way to even access the SIM card within.

Comment

j763

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2001
Champaign, IL, USA
Didn't they show the SIM slot in the keynote?

hmm... I must have missed that part... :eek:

edit:

yes... I was mistaken. <a href="http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.engadget.com/media/2007/01/apple-iphone-49.jpg">This photo</a> clearly shows that it does have a SIM slot.

Hmm.... if they haven't locked it to Cingular/AT&T in the firmware, I'd actually consider buying one. I need to be able to throw my SFR sim card in when I go to Europe.

Comment

jettredmont

macrumors 68030
Jul 25, 2002

All you folks with your comments about the giant phone and how it won't fit in your pocket: har-de-har-har. Laugh it up.

I, personally, am thrilled at this look at not only a regular-sized iPhone, but also the Apple Elves who make it! Now, I always thought the Apple Elves were smaller than this. Maybe these are the "giants" of the Apple Elf factory.

Comment

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
don't get too excited guys... I heard these may just be big promotional displays. no actual iphones to play with. we'll see come morning.

arn

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.