Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AttilaTheHun

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
USA
Hi guys

I considered getting the new Ipad Pro, but the more I look into it I can't get myself to buy it, because I realised that Apple is milking the cash cow even more than they used to.

For the following, please if you disagree, let me know and I will reconsider my point(s).

- Ipad Pro's price point does not justify the extra features it has.
- Ipad smart keyboard is $149
- Apple doesn't offer the leather ipad cover's anymore for Ipad Pro. Instead you have to buy a silicone cover which is $69 and the smart cover which is $49 = $118 for a case option
- Apple Pencil is another $99.

I was looking to get an Ipad with 128 gb (since there's no 64Gb) option. Even if I just went with the smart keyboard (no pencil and no case) it would be $1077.

In Denmark (where I live) it's $1391 because of taxes.

I just think it's unreasonable.

What do you guys think?
If you don't need the pencil just go with the air 2

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

lympero

macrumors 6502a
Sep 1, 2008
Arta, Greece
Hi guys

I considered getting the new Ipad Pro, but the more I look into it I can't get myself to buy it, because I realised that Apple is milking the cash cow even more than they used to.

For the following, please if you disagree, let me know and I will reconsider my point(s).

- Apple doesn't offer the leather ipad cover's anymore for Ipad Pro. Instead you have to buy a silicone cover which is $69 and the smart cover which is $49 = $118 for a case option

I was looking to get an Ipad with 128 gb (since there's no 64Gb) option. Even if I just went with the smart keyboard (no pencil and no case) it would be $1077.

What do you guys think?
Definitely overpriced and definitely not buying it even though I want an iPad right now.

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
If you don't need the pencil just go with the air 2

What if he wants any of the other benefits of the Pro other than the Pencil? True Tone, Wide Colour display, better cameras, better performance, better audio?

There's more to the Pro's than just a Pencil. Not that I'm in any way saying the Air 2 isn't a good device, it's still an extremely capable device at a great price point. Definitely one to consider.

stevemiller

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
i was already disappointed with the combination of price increase and ram stinginess that people can argue about till the cows come home, but its how i feel.

as an additional slap in the face, i was trying to whittle down the insane canadian starting price of $799 by bringing in my old 4S that had been sitting in a drawer for a year, as well as the iPad 3 this new one would be replacing for trade in value. literally between YESTERDAY and TODAY apple cut the trade in value of the 4s IN HALF.

yes its all first world problems, but never have i felt the deck so stacked against value on a purchase. :(

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
i was already disappointed with the combination of price increase and ram stinginess that people can argue about till the cows come home, but its how i feel.

as an additional slap in the face, i was trying to whittle down the insane canadian starting price of $799 by bringing in my old 4S that had been sitting in a drawer for a year, as well as the iPad 3 this new one would be replacing for trade in value. literally between YESTERDAY and TODAY apple cut the trade in value of the 4s IN HALF.

yes its all first world problems, but never have i felt the deck so stacked against value on a purchase. :(

You're completely right, your opinion is the only one that matters to you, no-one can argue with that.

I'd never trade-in with Apple though, you'd get much more selling it on eBay or Craigslist if you have it in Canada (We don't so I don't know where that's actually available.) But on our UK equivalent site, I sold my Air 2 just before the 9.7" was released and got almost as much for it as you can buy one new now.

Reactions: stevemiller

Nausicaa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2007
I bought a Moko branded case for my Pro that imitates the old iPad leather smart cover case. It's great, if obviously not as high quality, and only cost $12.

Azl

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2012
Karlsruhe, Germany
I used my previous ipad for about 5 years.
I plan to keep the iPP (12.9 in my case) for about 5 years as well, so I maxed it out.
it was about 1100€ (including the pencil), back in november.

So that makes about 0.6€ per day.
Even if I upgrade in 3 - instead of 5years, it's still only ~1€ per day.

Considering, how much I use it and how much I enjoy using it - I think that money is very well spent.

But that's just my point of view :)

stevemiller

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
You're completely right, your opinion is the only one that matters to you, no-one can argue with that.

I'd never trade-in with Apple though, you'd get much more selling it on eBay or Craigslist if you have it in Canada (We don't so I don't know where that's actually available.) But on our UK equivalent site, I sold my Air 2 just before the 9.7" was released and got almost as much for it as you can buy one new now.

i'd contemplated selling it myself, but as someone recovering from a broken ankle, trying to arrange a physical swap had been feeling like more effort than it was worth. but the 4S, dropping from $100 to $50 between the day i checked its value, and bringing it into the store the very next day, certainly stings. again, i know its just whiny entitlement, but wish they'd honour the price they quoted me literally yesterday as a kind gesture.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
No, I didn't say it's Apple's fault regarding the taxes.
I am saying that all things considered...the total price that I have to pay...is unreasonable (imo).
Even w/o the taxes its an expensive device. With every iPad they've added new features, but it has not resulted in a $100 price increase (correct me if I am wrong).

But you're thread title says otherwise ...

"Apple is Ripping us off..."

alecgold

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2007
NLD
There you said it...you just compared the Ipad pro to the Macbook pro. Why did you do that? Because they almost cost the same. Am I right?

It's like...OK here you can buy this really expensive bike...but for a little more you can have a car.

Yeah, but buying a car is so 1999. I live in the center of Amsterdam, work in the center of Amsterdam and have all my social contacts in the center of Amsterdam, so why buy a car? You'll never be able to park it, some dumbass will key-scratch it, costs the world and you can't transport the kids. So you spend a fortune on a cargo bike with electric drive which holds your kids, groceries and everything else. The bike costs even more than a cheap second hand car, but is way more practical for my use.

Try this with a MacBook Pro: it's lighter, I can make it even lighter without keyboard, I can write on it, it has 4 speakers, it has LTE, I can touch to navigate...
Now show me how that on a MacBook Pro?!
I don't care about the price, I care about the tool I have with me and how it works for me. If it doesn't work for you, try something else and be happy with it.

Edit: the cases are expensive beyond any reason. But there you have the choice of buying 3th party. And I bought all of them from Apple on the first day they were available. So what do I use? I never use the Smart Cover, I gave away the smart case and I always use the Smart Keyboard and Pencil. I like both of them really a lot. So much I bought a spare Pencil, just to be sure I have one when I break/loose it.

Last edited:
Reactions: TrueBlou and Azl

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
i'd contemplated selling it myself, but as someone recovering from a broken ankle, trying to arrange a physical swap had been feeling like more effort than it was worth. but the 4S, dropping from $100 to $50 between the day i checked its value, and bringing it into the store the very next day, certainly stings. again, i know its just whiny entitlement, but wish they'd honour the price they quoted me literally yesterday as a kind gesture.

Well I don't really think that's whiny entitlement, if any person or company quotes you a price for anything you expect that quote to be honoured regardless of any changes in the market. It's just one of those things that's like an unspoken rule of honour. Stupid question but did you point out to them that you'd been quoted a different price and that you think that's what they should go by.

Mr. Buzzcut

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2011
Ohio
College textbooks are a ripoff because you're forced to buy them. The iPad is just a cool toy. Lots of people need laptops to get work done but very few "need" an iPad. As such, it's expensive but they are t ripping you off.

I don't understand why the new case isn't the same or less money than the old leather case. But it as well as the KB have other third party options. The pencil does not. If you want it, you have to pay what Apple is asking, or wait to buy one used.

Reactions: bevsb2 and alecgold

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Hi guys

Just buy one of the other non Apple keyboards then, or a separate bluetooth keyboard.

And what is stopping you from buying one of the plethora of other non Apple cases out there? Buy a Noreve luxury leather case, they are working on 3 different designs now.

Yes it is expensive, but it has an edge on it that not many others have so I understand, where you can tilt it to make a thicker line just like a real pencil. It's a clever piece of tech. And with the Apple logo you have to pay for it, but it works so seamlessly, so little fuss to it. It could do with a eraser end though.

What do you guys think?

Yes it is unreasonable, but it is Apple, and I hate to say it but there kit does generally last well. Yes they are ripping you off, just how do you think they make so much money in the first place? But to state that is to state the obvious, but as I said their equipment lasts well.
I have absolutely no regrets buying an iPad Pro for my mum because it will last a long time. And it's her only computer and she uses her iPad 3 it's replacing every single day, personally I think that's good value.

Reactions: Azl

Mr. Buzzcut

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2011
Ohio
There you said it...you just compared the Ipad pro to the Macbook pro. Why did you do that? Because they almost cost the same. Am I right?

It's like...OK here you can buy this really expensive bike...but for a little more you can have a car.

Well, a really nice road bike is $3K - $5K, or more. You can buy a motorcycle for that.

Folks don't have economics in school any more? The price is whatever the market will bear. And the competition is struggling to provide a product that compares.

MadDane

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2015
No, I didn't say it's Apple's fault regarding the taxes.
I am saying that all things considered...the total price that I have to pay...is unreasonable (imo).
Even w/o the taxes its an expensive device. With every iPad they've added new features, but it has not resulted in a $100 price increase (correct me if I am wrong).
I am also from Denmark and I agree with you. The prices here are almost ridiculous. To me it seems like it is mainly because of the change in exchange rate between US$ AND € in addition to the 25% sales tax as well as a higher price before taxes due to Apple hedging against fluctuating exchange rates. Add all of that and you end up with a crazy expensive device.

Do you have an Air 2? Do you need pencil support? If no to both, Bilka is having a sale on the 64GB iPad Air 2 for 3.199 kr. I think that is a better buy than the new iPad Pro.

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
Yes it is expensive, but it has an edge on it that not many others have so I understand, where you can tilt it to make a thicker line just like a real pencil. It's a clever piece of tech. And with the Apple logo you have to pay for it, but it works so seamlessly, so little fuss to it. It could do with a eraser end though.

I've owned several styli for my iPads, from Wacom, Adonit and others. Some just as expensive as the Apple Pencil, so in this very rare case I don't think you're paying just for the Apple Branding.

But most importantly, above all else, not a single stylus from any other brand has been anywhere near as functional, precise and universally useable as the Apple Pencil. If you want a drawing, or writing device for an iPad there just isn't anything remotely as good as the Apple Pencil. I think mine was worth every penny, especially considering how much I've wasted on others over the years.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
I've owned several styli for my iPads, from Wacom, Adonit and others. Some just as expensive as the Apple Pencil, so in this very rare case I don't think you're paying just for the Apple Branding.

But most importantly, above all else, not a single stylus from any other brand has been anywhere near as functional, precise and universally useable as the Apple Pencil. If you want a drawing, or writing device for an iPad there just isn't anything remotely as good as the Apple Pencil. I think mine was worth every penny, especially considering how much I've wasted on others over the years.

Exactly, I am in no way shape or form an artist or designer, but I payed with the Apple pencil in the store on the 12.9" pro, it didn't work at first, hmm, so I took the top off and stuck it into the Pro's lightning port and bam it instantly synced and gave a message saying so and it then worked flawlessly, no messy menu's to deal with, no turning on and off, it just worked. In a simple way. It was just synced to another Pro on the display at the beginning, that was all.
It also feels like a quality item.

Reactions: TrueBlou

alecgold

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2007
NLD

Absolute true! If I see how $50--$70 pens are doing, some of them are nothing more than a Aluminium finger with a rubber tip, the $99 for the pencil with it's microscopic motherboard and all of the technology on board is a really decent price.
The keyboard is bloody expensive, but the Belkin Qode Pro Utimate keyboard was just as expensive and a real pain in the proverbial place, losing it's BT connectivity every 15 minutes, casing that cracked, update software that required 9.1 and couldn't work with anything later.
But the Apple keyboard is working perfect, certainly with iOS 9.3 it's a dream to type one. YMMV, but I can type long and lots on it.

Reactions: TrueBlou

stulaw11

Suspended
Jan 25, 2012
I'm curious, how can you tell he's not? After the 7-for-1 split, a single Apple stock costs less than an iPod Touch. I think low was around $92 in August/September. Also, AAPL makes up what, 3-4% of the S&P 500? A lot of large cap funds also hold AAPL. Heck, our pension fund's single largest holding is AAPL.

Yeah, I'm hoping Apple continues to do well.

Its irrelevant really, you can always tell the trolls. Go right to the personal attacks when verifiable facts are presented. And since I dont own Apple stock OR any iPad it makes even less sense.

The FACTS are daily life products are market up many many more times than Apple products. So if you think Apple is ripping you off then life is ripping you off too in general. It's clled being a rational thinking human being not a fanboi or hater.

Last edited:
Reactions: HenryDJP

stevemiller

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
Well I don't really think that's whiny entitlement, if any person or company quotes you a price for anything you expect that quote to be honoured regardless of any changes in the market. It's just one of those things that's like an unspoken rule of honour. Stupid question but did you point out to them that you'd been quoted a different price and that you think that's what they should go by.

I imagine depending on the salesperson they'll just say there is always going to be a rollover point and I just happened to miss it.

I'm heading in to the store today regardless (scared my iPhone or iPad will plunge further in value). I'm hoping that leg in cast and on crutches, combined with the fact that the reason I couldn't make it in yesterday I was *literally* at the hospital for my ankle, I can maybe appeal to someone's more compassionate side and they at least split the difference or something. :(

stevemiller

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
People do realize Apple is a company with a primary motivator of profit, right?

For sure, and generally I don't complain about price just for its own sake. I'll upgrade my MacBook Pro every 3 years at almost $3k a shot. It's expensive but I know my needs and it's well worth it.

Likewise there's no way I'm getting by without a phone these days so when it needs replacing it is what it is.

The iPad for me just opens itself up to greater scrutiny. It's a tertiary device in my life and so I have to say even if it's nice and pretty and benchmarks faster than the last one, "are those things really worth it to me? Especially at a higher cost than iPads used to be."

Tl;dr Apple has the freedom to charge what they want, and consumers also have the freedom to question if it's worth the same amount to them.

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
I imagine depending on the salesperson they'll just say there is always going to be a rollover point and I just happened to miss it.

I'm heading in to the store today regardless (scared my iPhone or iPad will plunge further in value). I'm hoping that leg in cast and on crutches, combined with the fact that the reason I couldn't make it in yesterday I was *literally* at the hospital for my ankle, I can maybe appeal to someone's more compassionate side and they at least split the difference or something. :(

Best of luck mate, look for the most sympathetic looking salesperson ;)
[doublepost=1459627775][/doublepost]
Absolute true! If I see how $50--$70 pens are doing, some of them are nothing more than a Aluminium finger with a rubber tip, the $99 for the pencil with it's microscopic motherboard and all of the technology on board is a really decent price.
The keyboard is bloody expensive, but the Belkin Qode Pro Utimate keyboard was just as expensive and a real pain in the proverbial place, losing it's BT connectivity every 15 minutes, casing that cracked, update software that required 9.1 and couldn't work with anything later.
But the Apple keyboard is working perfect, certainly with iOS 9.3 it's a dream to type one. YMMV, but I can type long and lots on it.

I usually find that's the case. Granted I do think the silicone cases are overpriced for what they are but as far as the keyboard goes, compared to experiences I've had with similarly priced products in the past. It just works, works well and I find it really comfortable to type on. So for me personally, it's worth every penny. I care not for extras I won't use like backlights and trackpads. I'm just happy with a quality, reliable keyboard.

As far as the Pencil goes. It's just awesome and I'm actually genuinely surprised Apple is selling it at the price they are. There's nothing better for writing or drawing on iOS.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
For sure, and generally I don't complain about price just for its own sake. I'll upgrade my MacBook Pro every 3 years at almost $3k a shot. It's expensive but I know my needs and it's well worth it.

Likewise there's no way I'm getting by without a phone these days so when it needs replacing it is what it is.

The iPad for me just opens itself up to greater scrutiny. It's a tertiary device in my life and so I have to say even if it's nice and pretty and benchmarks faster than the last one, "are those things really worth it to me? Especially at a higher cost than iPads used to be."

Tl;dr Apple has the freedom to charge what they want, and consumers also have the freedom to question if it's worth the same amount to them.

Questioning is one thing, but I don't think that's the point of this thread.

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
Questioning is one thing, but I don't think that's the point of this thread.

That's just it though. As far as the actual subject of this thread goes, you'll never get a single definitive answer, it's just not possible.

Every single person has their own set of criteria for value for money. For some of us the iPad Pro (s) are fairly priced for the technology they offer and the experience you can have with them beyond that which you can on other iPads.

For others, they don't see the benefits of the upgrades. They don't see the need for a Pencil and they can quite happily get by on a less powerful, less feature packed device. And you know what, that's perfectly fine too. There's an iPad Air 2 which is still a brilliant iPad available for those who don't need or want the Pro.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.