Other Apple is slowing down older iPhones based on battery wear level [MERGED]

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by IsaacM, Dec 10, 2017.

1. anonymous guy macrumors 6502a

Hm...I wonder how this will fare when you get your battery replaced at an Apple Authorized Repair Trademark location?

I will try this weekend...

2. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

Seems like they are supposed to be doing the latter at least (and for cheaper than usual, also at least).

3. zackdbassist macrumors newbie

Good, now you are speaking like a true ignorant. I see you don't have anything else to support you/apple? If you still wanted to, my previous post would have made sense. Hilarious!

You should have said no iPhone at all? other brands would have worked just fine than being slightly slower, you get the point, right?

Read up how iPhones are impacted rather than assuming a slight slowdown. Oh, I forgot, that's what you do and have been doing.

And yes, not just me a lot of others who appreciate and understand technology are angry at apples decision, weren't we making it obvious? If apple doesn't come up with a solution where it gives the user an option or rather rolls back the bs feature I am gonna jump ship but I know you'll still be advocating apple. Point being, this thread was for the angry consumers to vent. If you are a satisfied sheep, go start wearing an apple logo around your neck!

They said they are gonna make it much transparent or that is what it seemed from their statement. Too late for that.

If they really give us an option, I'll get back to being a happy customer first thing. I do love my X but the fact that it might not be as snappy in the future does worry me after spending around $1250. so its not that I hate apple, I love what they have achieved but am rather angry at a decision which is not correct and people are defending it.

4. cyb3rdud3 macrumors 65816

You both know who to ask to get a conclusive answer that matters :) It won’t be anyone on these forums though.

Ask, worst that can happen is that they smile and say no.

But as it is a discussion forum, out of interest do you think they should five you $50 if they six month later have a promotion on? And what if it isn’t Apple but say Wall Mart or Victoria Secret should they do the same? And what do you think should the time limit be?

Personally I don’t think they should nor have to. And yes I got $200 back myself once as I noticed the store where I bought my OLED tv did three days later a promotion and they have a 7 day price match.

5. ablatt macrumors member

My iPhone 6S's resting clock speed (not in the hot or cold) was 600 (as reported by cpudasher64) before the battery replacement, and 1848 after. Not 'slightly slower'.

6. JT2002TJ macrumors 6502a

Apple's drop in price for battery replacement isn't a promotion to sell more products... It is an attempt to repair their public image after deceptive practices. If they really care about their customers, they should reimburse the difference for every battery replacement on devices affected with the OS throttling going back to the day the OS was released.

I am not sure how they can handle the issue of people who replaced their phone because they thought it was simply the hardware couldn't handle the newer OS. But this is what class action lawsuits are for. This will at least keep companies honest, once the see the outcome. It will also make Apple think twice about things like this in the future. They now are aware, that their customers are capable of finding these things out.

I am not jumping ship, I know companies try to get away with things. How they handle it once they get caught is what people will be paying attention to. Apple will have to rebuild trust, I am sure they can and will. But lets not act like this wasn't a big deal.

7. Radon87000 macrumors 604

Simple. It's not a promotion. It's something they tried to pull a fast one on customers and escape unnoticed exactly like how they did with Touch Disease but they got caught this time around. They probably won't refund me the amount as it's 6 months old but the fact that their batteries are so low quality entitles the refund to everyone within a year range.

Note they are still making a killing on that $29 battery. They have admitted the fault but are still making a ton of money despite that.I bet it doesn't cost more than $10.

8. boltjames macrumors 601

boltjames

Why does it matter what the clock speed is when the phone is resting? When my BMW is at a stop light those 300 horses aren’t very efficient at all.

Go buy a battery for $29 and let it go already. No one cares about your resting clock speed. A week of whining is enough.

9. cbreze macrumors 6502a

cbreze

Yeah I want my $1000 phone throttled after 10 months of usage, Thankyou sir may I have another!
    F - Apple. get an Android and call it a day. Much more selection. Apples getting a bit arrogant IMO. They know what's best for us.

10. LovingTeddy macrumors 65816

LovingTeddy

No need get this going. We should always bring this type of things once a while just to remind Apple fans. Apple is arrogant, they seems to know waht is best for my phone. NOT! Apple for caught and we will NOT let this go away.

11. zackdbassist macrumors newbie

Enough whining (speaking the truth folks). Don't make his job more difficult than it already is. The last week has been really taxing, I suppose.

All hail, protector of apples sovereignty

12. boltjames macrumors 601

boltjames

And this is what you will never understand about people who admire Apple:

We are smart enough to understand that the very best innovators become so because they are allowed to occasionally make mistakes.

Inventor of the personal computer. Inventor of the modern notebook. Inventor of the modern smartphone. Inventor of the modern tablet. Inventor of the digital music store. Inventor of the app store. Inventor of thousands of innovations and experiences in each of these products. If the price I have to pay for 10 years of a magnificent consumer electronics revolution led by Apple is a measly $29 for a disposable battery, I'll pay it.

13. Bawstun macrumors 65816

Bawstun

Slower than an iPhone 4. That’s why Apple will lose all these suits. You can’t promise increased performance with upgrades (as they do at their keynotes) and in secret, totally throttle them to below or same levels as the device they JUST upgraded from.

What part of this seems like a legal practice to anyone? How are people still not grasping the illegality of this? Blows my mind. Totally blows my mind that anyone has defended it, and are still defending it. A case study for the ages, to be sure.

14. boltjames macrumors 601

boltjames

I’m guessing you hit the “agree” button before reading this:

7.4 APPLE DOES NOT WARRANT AGAINST INTERFERENCE WITH YOUR ENJOYMENT OF THE iOS SOFTWARE AND SERVICES, THAT THE FUNCTIONS CONTAINED IN, OR SERVICES PERFORMED OR PROVIDED BY, THE iOS SOFTWARE WILL MEET YOUR REQUIREMENTS, THAT THE OPERATION OF
    THE iOS SOFTWARE AND SERVICES WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED OR ERROR-FREE, THAT ANY SERVICE WILL CONTINUE TO BE MADE AVAILABLE, THAT DEFECTS IN THE iOS SOFTWARE OR SERVICES WILL BE CORRECTED, OR THAT THE iOS SOFTWARE WILL BE COMPATIBLE OR WORK WITH ANY THIRD PARTY SOFTWARE, APPLICATIONS OR THIRD PARTY SERVICES. INSTALLATION
    OF THIS iOS SOFTWARE MAY AFFECT THE USABILITY OF THIRD PARTY SOFTWARE, APPLICATIONS OR THIRD PARTY SERVICES.

15. rui no onna macrumors 603

rui no onna

I don't think you realize just how slow the iPhone 4 is (single-core Cortex A8 800MHz). Geekbench of 600 is closer to iPhone 5 (dual-core Apple A6) so even throttled, that's still ~3x the performance of the Apple A4 in single-core tasks.

That said, yeah, 600's too slow. If Geekbench is already posting benchmark scores like that, then that's the speed limit for normal operation, too. Run any of the JavaScript/web browser performance benchmarks on it and you'll see performance reduced to below iPhone 5 level.

16. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

Terms and conditions aren’t the end-all-be-all when it comes to consumer protections. Just because a company has them it doesn’t 100% protect them in court if act shady or nefarious against customers.

An extreme example would be if Apple somehow had a sentence in its terms and conditions that “by updating your iOS version your device will no longer work after thirty-days but we are not 100% not responsible”. Obviously Apple wouldn’t be that crazy but if they somehow did they wouldn’t be protected in court, even if the customer didn’t look at the full terms / conditions and agreed to update.

Now for the current issue of throttlegate it all depends if the court see’s this shady behavior by Apple of slowing down devices without owner consent, lying about it by omission, and reaping profits from consumer upgrades due to slow devices qualifies them to lose in court. Personally I hope they do, in all countries, as a stern lesson for Apple (and other companies) to be more transparent and not so heavy handed approach in controlling every aspect of their customers devices.

17. LovingTeddy macrumors 65816

LovingTeddy

I am alaways amazed by how blindly someone will defrnd a corporation to death. Apple screwed their customer and someone we should thanks Apple for doing so. That is great. Well, you can do that. But massive class action lawsuits from different countries says otherwise. If not from their class action lawsuits and consistant media converage and discussion, Apple won't even give a damn about this. 29 dollar replacement is just last minute PR.

Apple maybe invented lots of this that we enjoy these says, that does not give Apple a pass to get ahead themselves and be a total jerk
    --- Post Merged, Jan 3, 2018 ---
    Term and condition is not a law. Anything that is unfair or demeed unfair can be rendered unenforcable.

So stop about this Term and condition BS.

18. ablatt macrumors member

If you really want to make the analogy correct it would be like your BMW being modified for resting at 100 horsepower and then driving off at 100. The iPhone was always at 600 clock speed - resting or in use. I mentioned resting to prove the point that it wasn't only being slowed down with heavy use to prevent a shutdown.

19. boltjames macrumors 601

boltjames

Apple never screwed me. That's the point that you don't get. You think that because your iPhone had some issues that it applies to everyone. It doesn't. Apple is the biggest company in the world not because it inadvertently screwed 2% of their customers but because they have completely satisfied 98%.

In fact, I could point out a dozen examples of how Apple did things they shouldn't have done by taking back products that my kids or I mistreated, like iPhone's and iPod's and iPad's and even my iPhone X Leather Case that I ripped by mistake. I went into the store last night, showed them my ripped Apple X case, said I needed to buy a replacement, and they said they'd take care of it and gave me a brand new one. All I had to do is show them my receipt.

Your week of whining over this issue is over. Time to move on.

20. tomjleeds macrumors 6502a

tomjleeds

BJ, two things.

1. It’s a lot more than 2%. I’m a light user but 16 months in have significant throttling at lower charge levels.

2. You don’t get to determine when people can and cannot whine about this on a forum!

Those said, I find it rather amusing that people are suddenly offended by Apple’s approach that they know what’s best for users. This has been the case for many, many years, it’s what’s made them so successful, and why I keep using their products.

21. Kmart9419 macrumors regular

A lot of people are shareholders on this forum. You need to weed them out. Pretty easy to pick out. They are extremely defensive like they are Apple's lawyers or a defendant. No amount of reasoning will work on these people. Attacking Apple is attacking them personally.
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...o-inform-consumers-on-batteries-idUSKBN1ES1QN

Another government getting involved. The longer Apple drags this out, the harder it will get. Stop the throttle and a lot of the pain will go away. Such an easy and cheap solution to offer an on/off button. Can't do it because it will lead to a recall in bad batteries? What a dilemma you are in Apple.

22. HeadphoneAddict macrumors 6502a

HeadphoneAddict

Also, I think that CPU DasherX is reporting the CPU speed as reported to the App by iOS, and the 600Mhz is the speed that iOS will allow it to run at the moment, depending on battery wear, current charge level, battery temperature, and CPU load.

iOS may increase the number that same phone reports to the App when fully charged and plugged in, but not nearly enough to get it back to full speed until the battery wear condition (or temperature, etc) is corrected.

iOS uses the Battery as a reserve for when the CPU draws more power than even the charger can supply, almost like a capacitor stores energy for surges.

23. boltjames macrumors 601

boltjames

All consumer electronic products run at a 4-5% defective rate. It is possible that your iPhone is in that group and an exchange will solve the issue.
    I am not an Apple shareholder. It’s also pretty easy to figure out who the Android owners are.

24. tomjleeds macrumors 6502a

tomjleeds

Battery health is around 87%, around 250 cycles. There is nothing abnormal about my device, this issue is widespread. I have no intention of exchanging. It would just be helpful if you weren’t so blindly and unnecessarily defensive.

Not really sure why I’m trying to persuade you as you’ve behaved like this for years, but...

25. anonymous guy macrumors 6502a