Other Apple is slowing down older iPhones based on battery wear level [MERGED]

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by IsaacM, Dec 10, 2017.

1. aevan macrumors 68020

aevan

Ok, this should clarify things. Straight from Apple:

So, if you think your iPhone is slowing down because of the battery, pay $29 and replace it, whatever the wear level.

2. 0014 macrumors 6502a

I should be fine with my X. It keeps increasing in battery capacity every so often.... ;)

[​IMG]

3. boltjames macrumors 601

boltjames

Please. If I got a dead phone I'd exchange it for a new one. And that's the issue that you're not grasping. What we are talking about here isn't a "dead phone". We're talking about a "dying consumable" which is an independent part of the phone. A battery and a smartphone are two different things. The battery is replaceable. Your iPhone works just fine. Your battery doesn't.

I know enough about the technology to know that as new processors are developed allowing for incremental speed and functionality they also come with a penalty when it comes to battery drain. The reason all old phones slow down on new OS releases is because the new OS releases are optimized for the new chipset, not the old one. If you could roll back to iOS8 you wouldn't have any problems because it's an old OS matched to your old processor.

The throttle happens in emergency conditions when the a) battery strength, b) temperature, and c) processor strain all reach a coinciding critical juncture. That's when the throttle kicks in. Your phone isn't throttled 24/7. It's not throttled when you're in a warm office with a full battery checking emails. It's throttled when you're skiing for 3 hours in freezing temperatures. Then it returns to normal.

I've experienced the temporary shut down. Trust me, I'd have preferred the temporary throttle. Family of 6, we were all skiing last year with our iPhone 6's, all 2+ years old, it was 18 degrees on the mountain, none of us could call or text each other. The throttle would have been welcomed for those few hours.

So if that moment occurs 10 months into ownership of a handset or 50 months it doesn't matter. Batteries are consumables, they don't last forever, they can be abused, they can be babied, environmental conditions are a major variable, results will vary wildly.

Apple didn't get caught. Apple was trying to help people whose batteries had fallen below 80% avoid a shutdown. Better to have a phone that launches iMessage half a second slower than have it not work at all.

4. Pnr2020 macrumors regular

Pnr2020

Apple are full of crap. Took my iPhone 7 Plus into apple service centre they tested it. Battery was average from tests so they wouldn’t replace i said I want it replaced and would pay. What happened to we will change it if you want it changed

5. TripleP macrumors newbie

I paid $79 for iPhone 6 battery replacement in mid-October. Genius bar confirmed need to replace. Will Apple refund the difference?

6. boltjames macrumors 601

boltjames

Your battery is healthy, won't have unexpected shutdowns, and it won't cost you any money.

So you are mad?

7. zackdbassist macrumors newbie

So on an iPhone 7 plus with a 10% battery wear playing a demanding game, which i do a lot. You'd call it an emergency condition if it throttles and results into a slower frame rate compared to say a new 7 plus? Me and a lot of other users use their phone for a lot more things than just checking emails, it included playing games, flying my Mavic, Netflix and believe you me, it takes some serious processing power.

An old phone throttling is not a solution to the problem which is most probably because of cheap batteries, other phones don't randomly shut down when batteries get old(battery life is reduced and that's what would be acceptable by everyone). Apple is definitely hiding their intention behind terms like smoothing the peak current draw and calling it a feature and the loyalists would never agree. Why can't they just keep it like it has always been? Given you argument about processors, if it was a feature this should have been done a few years ago when processors were not capable enough to handle newer firmware, why didn't they before last year? It doesn't apply in today's day and age.

The second part highlighted, good that you are speaking for yourself now.

Apple didn't get caught. Seriously?!
    --- Post Merged, Jan 2, 2018 ---
    He isn't, let me assure you that. Anyone who wants to pay and get a new battery should be eligible if they feel it'll help their phone's performance after what apple has done and revealed. If its their device and their money, no one, absolutely no one should question their decision.

8. Radon87000 macrumors 604

I paid for a new battery 6 months ago for my iPhone 6. Is it possible to get a refund for the excess $50?

9. Pnr2020 macrumors regular

Pnr2020

It says on there website we will change your battery even if
    thank you. If I want to pay for my battery to be replaced I should be allowed to. It’s my choice not there’s

10. Thor_1 macrumors 6502a

They were caught. They hid this from the consumers. The consumers found this out and forced Apple to admit what they had done. The am people defending Apple is insane.
    If they want their battery changed, Apple should do it.

11. C DM macrumors Westmere

Get back to Apple and tell them they have to replace it if that's what you want based on their own policy: https://www.macrumors.com/2018/01/02/apple-replaces-iphone-batteries-that-pass-tests/

12. souko macrumors member

Do you think, that there is some possibility if I will DFU iOS, it will be ok?

13. Pnr2020 macrumors regular

Pnr2020

14. Radon87000 macrumors 604

If,someone is helping me I want to know I am being helped.

15. Altis macrumors 68030

v v v
    The throttling begins well before 80% battery health is reached. Phones are being throttled while Apple reports their battery "Healthy" -- and wasn't telling anyone that they were slowing down the phones.
    A month ago, the notion of Apple slowing down phones based on battery health would be a "conspiracy theory".

Turns out, they do.

They didn't tell anyone, apparently not even Apple store techs.

The throttling begins while the battery is still reported as "Healthy" by Apple.

The only thing we don't know at this point is intent. It's a very reasonable assumption that Apple is intelligent enough to know that by not telling anyone, people will just buy new phones when theirs gets slow. They'd know nobody would check their battery health since there's no relation between battery and performance except where Apple deliberately made one.

You'd have to be awfully charitable to assume the best case where Apple genuinely thought secretly slowing down people's devices without telling them why, to Apple's own benefit in every way, was done in the best interest of the consumer.

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

We're going to help the S# out of you.
    Its for your own good, dont ask any questions :D

17. boltjames macrumors 601

boltjames

If you are straining the processor like that and it's happening during a triggering environmental condition like very cold temperatures, yes, that's life and you just need to accept it. If the alternative is the phone shutting down completely, how is that not the better approach? Better to play the game with a less than optimal frame rate but still be able to play the game.

18. nicksti macrumors newbie

This is my last attempt. We know that for at least 2 model year cycles Apple has omitted the latest gen iPhone from this update and only rolled it out to the previous gens. So you believe that the CPUs and the batteries at the time they were current gen were good enough but then Apple magically determined them to be inadequate when coincidentally the next iPhone came out?

Seriously?

Apple must love you. If all consumers are like you then they can go ahead and throttle the iPhone 8 and X with the more efficient cpu and newer batteries next year and you will say "Apple knows best".

Look, my only suggestion to all consumers is to hold these companies accountable. If more Apple owners kept their iPhone longer than 11 months Apple would stop this nonsense. Or probably make your phone self-destruct. But hopefully the former.

19. C DM macrumors Westmere

Well, if Apple thinks that some of these type of issues can start happening on enough of a scale to be of some notice about a year after use, would that be in line with having devices become eligible for additional power management functionality about a year after a model has been released?

20. boltjames macrumors 601

boltjames

Yes, but it's not coincidence it's progress.

Each new generation of hardware brings with it a new generation of software. And as each iOS version progresses so too does it's demands on processor and battery life. The reason Apple omitted the latest generation iPhone from this update is because it's processor is strong enough and it's batteries are fresh enough.

I don't need Apple to love me. I respect Apple for the amount of the innovation they bring to the marketplace and how well they treat me as a customer, like when one of my kids breaks their iPhone or Apple watch or leather case. I can't tell you how many times an Apple associate could have charged me money for these things and let me walk away with a brand new replacement product at no charge.

I recently got my iPhone X after owning an iPhone 6 for 3 years and 2 months. I had absolutely no issue with my battery life and the speed degradation was consistent with what it has been with every iPhone I've owned going back to the 3GS. When Apple releases a new iOS to support a brand new iPhone, the old iPhone suffers. If you want the cool new features, you take a slight hit to performance. iPhones have a two year warranty, which means they have a two year lifespan at their initial state. This is not new news. This is been the deal we have had with Apple as our iPhones age going back 10 years.

21. anonymous guy macrumors 6502

Yeah, I'm curious about this as well. I had my battery swapped at an Apple authorized repair store because it didn't pass the Apple Store 80% benchmark the week prior.

Funny thing was, in the repair notes, the person doing the repairs notes that the phone was running hot and dropped from 30 to 10% on testing.

22. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I think they should give the option to the user to enable or disable that "feature".
    And also allow people to pay to get their battery replaced if they want without turning them away and telling them to just buy a new iPhone instead;)

23. zackdbassist, Jan 2, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2018

zackdbassist macrumors newbie

Keep digressing from the point as much as you want to. People running the benchmarks were not reported to be in extremely cold temperature or anything like that for that matter so their phones should't have throttled. Even iPhone 7's were impacted and a lot of them reported almost half their actual score on GB. Surely they wouldn't have batteries that have gone really bad? Your previous posts say that its one of the factors. And if they have that bad batteries in such big numbers then again, apple is using cheap batteries.

Doesn't matter how or what you try to cover up, apple is the one who has taken you out for a royal spin, its another thing that you have your eyes closed thinking its a joyride.

Even if every other phone on the market won't die or throttle performance with older batteries you are still sticking to your invalid point? You've got some determination. I'll have to give it to you for still calling apple the best tech company out there.

The very same statement from you that apple can't(isn't) tune the newest iOS for a processor that is just a year old proves my point again, that apple is involved in some fishy business but that is still the best tech firm for you.

Mate, go ask apple to hire you for how loyal you are to them. You know what, they'd still reject you keeping into account your ignorance or how you try to play down the problem at hand by coming up with self made explanations.

24. boltjames, Jan 2, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2018

boltjames macrumors 601

boltjames

I have no clue what any of this means other than you are angry at Apple.

Apple decided that a slightly slower iPhone is better than no phone at all. It's the right decision. Deal with it. Or leave. There's an Android with your name on it if you want one.