Other Apple is slowing down older iPhones based on battery wear level [MERGED]

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by IsaacM, Dec 10, 2017.

1. rui no onna macrumors 603

rui no onna

Agreed. That specific example was not throttling but just normal distribution (which looks to be between 3300-3600).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is throttling (note the peaks at ~1800, ~2300, ~2600)

[​IMG]

2. WinterWolf90 macrumors 6502

Lmao, the delusion is strong here.

3. nicksti macrumors newbie

If consumers continue to purchase products from companies who behave badly then who really is to blame? What I do not get is when this happens loyal customers the deflect. "Oh company X had this issue and that was far worse".

It is proven that Apple can be caught in some scandal and get away with it by putting out a lame excuse.

Antennagate - no the phones are not dropping calls you are holding it wrong, it is physics, and other phones drop calls. But no the phones are not dropping calls so we will give you a free case and then redesign the phone the next year.

Locationgate - no we are not tracking you just everywhere your phone has been. Despite the fact that we pretty much know lots about who you are and can narrow down your location via WiFi we are absolutely not tracking you.

We own an iPhone 7 that we bought in August. It is only a month older than an iPhone 8 bought in September. That means that will be throttled once it goes below the battery wear threshold unacceptable to Apple while an iPhone 8 will not. That is ridiculous.

Companies are no different to people and will continue to screw us if we let them. And I am not advocating anyone buy an Orange or Pear instead but instead not to enable companies to be evil.

4. aevan, Jan 1, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2018

aevan macrumors 68030

aevan

Quote away - you said "Apple has already admitted to throttling. By still denying it, you look foolish"

Apple didn't admit they throttle as soon as battery starts to degrade, certainly not at 98% health. They throttle when the battery has degraded to a point where the phone has to shut off to protect components. That's what I said: there is no throttling at 98% wear. So, how do I look foolish, exactly?

1. Apple does throttle the CPU when certain conditions are met - battery health, temperature, etc. Apple admitted to this.
    2. Apple does not throttle the CPU after it is worn out by measly 2%. That is ridiculous. They did not "admit" they throttle the CPU as soon as the battery starts wearing out, because that makes no sense at all.

Do you understand this?

Please do not spread misinformation.

If you want to know how the Geekbench scores can vary without 'throttling', check the @rui no onna post above.

5. boltjames macrumors 601

boltjames

Yeah, and if Apple didn't tweak the software and allowed hundreds of millions of iPhones to shut down in cold weather, that would have been the better approach? You can't look at the decision to throttle in a bubble; you have to look at the other alternative.

Mr. & Mrs. Average Consumer don't give a crap about a few milliseconds on some geeky benchmarking app. They care that if they are walking around Manhattan for 8 hours in December looking at the tree at Rockerfeller Center that by the end of the day their phones will work. Period.

Apple did the right thing. Prioritizing being "on" over being "a bit faster". It's common sense.

6. macfacts macrumors 68030

macfacts

The other alternative being Apple having to replace the defective batteries. It doesn't take an engineer nor an accountant to know which is cheaper, software cheat or warranty replacement.

7. nicksti macrumors newbie

Either you are missing the point or you do not want to address the point.

Why isn't Apple throttling current gen iPhones that have enough battery wear?
    Why is Apple even using Model Year in the equation?

The alternative is to only throttle phones that Apple deem at risk based purely on battery wear and most importantly let the customer know. Now I do not know what this has to do with being in New York in spring but my guess is that is just a red herring.

8. boltjames macrumors 601

boltjames

They aren't "defective batteries". They are "used batteries" of varying degrees for which the newest operating system cannot draw power from effectively enough in certain conditions of strain and climate. You bought a thin smartphone with a small battery. This isn't some surprise. What, you thought the mall kiosks with a thriving battery replacement business didn't apply to you?

The software wasn't a "cheat". It was a nice way to try to help people avoid two things that are poor experiences. 1. Unexpected shutdowns. 2. Replacing the battery.

In retrospect, Apple should have hung you out to dry. No firmware fix, just let them expire. That's why the warranty on iPhone's only last 2 years. That's their lifespan before things start breaking down. First to go? Batteries. You've used them your whole life. It's not like you don't know how they work.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 1, 2018 ---
    Because "current gen iPhones" have a) more efficient processors and b) newer batteries that c) won't shut down unexpectedly like "non-current gen iPhones".

You don't need to question the largest tech company in the world loaded with the best engineers in the world. They know what they're doing. If you struggle with trust, Android awaits.

9. zackdbassist macrumors newbie

Let that decision be ours. On the other hand if apple sells you a dead phone someday, I know you'd still keep it as a prized possession saying apple knows what they sell and its my fault I got a defective unit, apple is the best, the largest tech company can't go wrong yada yada.

Stop bs'ing about current gen processors if you don't have the slightest idea of what you are talking about.

Someone did explain above what if you buy a 7 plus and a 8 plus today. Is it justified for your & plus to be throttled say 10 months down the line and not the 8 plus because that's the latest? I know you'd say "Oh yes, apple knows best"

They really know what they are doing, its called acting smart and that is what the discussion is all about. Everyone gets caught at some point.

10. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

Why would the 7 Plus be throttled?

11. zackdbassist macrumors newbie

Because apple has extended the so called "feature" to the 7 series phone starting this year which would throttle the phone once the battery starts outputting lesser peak voltage

12. souko macrumors regular

So I have changed battery in my mother’s iPhone 6 and CPU still throttles. Coconut says, that battery is in 100 % state. But is there possibility of damaged battery? Or is it issue in Apple’s management of battery?

Attached Files:

13. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

So it's not that it would happen, just that it could happen if there's something that wasn't going right with the battery after some time.

14. bobob macrumors 68030

bobob

It is revealing that neither MacRumors nor most of the rest of the media is covering the battery charging / power management issues being reported in the Samsung Galaxy Note 8.

"Some Galaxy Note 8 owners have been reporting that they couldn't charge or turn on their handsets after the batteries ran dry... Samsung reps have been advising affected users to get warranty replacements for their Note 8s, but those who don't want to hand over their phones or aren't covered by warranty can try something called stack charging. By plugging your charger in and out of your phone for 10 to 15 seconds at a time about 30 seconds apart, you could generate enough energy after about 20 minutes or 100 attempts to get your phone going again."

15. Altis macrumors 68030

They made a solid point.

Buy a brand new iPhone 7 and 8 today. In 10 months, the 7 could be throttled but the 8 won't be, even with precisely the same level of battery wear (say 10%).

SeemsGood.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 1, 2018 ---
    A) The new processors don't draw any less peak power
    B) The batteries could well be the exact same age since Apple still sells the 7 along with the 8

16. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

Could be. At the same time it will be around a year since the release of iPhone 8 and an iOS update can have additional power management features enabled for the line of phones at that time which could similarly have some effects on those if they have batteries that are determined not being able of keeping up.

17. maka344 macrumors 65816

maka344

Some third party batteries are not of great quality. I’ve read people change theirs with a cheap eBay one and it doesn’t resolve until they try a more expensive replacement.

18. souko, Jan 2, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2018

souko macrumors regular

OK, it can be the case. But it should be the good one. It is from good seller and wasn’t so cheap.
    Maybe bad battery. I will write him for replacement.
    Thanks for the idea

19. souko macrumors regular

What app do you use for Galaxy Note to find out battery statistics?

20. aevan macrumors 68030

aevan

Yes, because if you defend Apple’s decision here, you’d accept a dead phone, because that is the same.
    Just another example where different opinion causes people to act like jerks towards those they don’t agree with.

21. Radon87000 macrumors 604

I never score over 6000 while on battery. It only scores over 6000 when connected to the plug. How is this not throttling? It’s in line with the wear Level. 2% wear and throttling is also very minor.

Nick’s 7 Plus scoring over 6000 on battery btw.

22. zackdbassist macrumors newbie

Sire, you also defended apple's decision. Why wasn't my reply targeted towards you? Defending with a valid argument and making no sense is a different thing altogether.

Simply put someone said "apple being the tech giant it is with the best employees cannot go wrong"

If you still don't understand, then welcome to the jerk club!

23. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

It was many many years ago but I think it was something like Better Battery Stats and there was an app for rooted phones that had more info that I can’t remember. I’ll try to dig it up.

24. jasonklee macrumors 6502a

jasonklee

There aren’t enough Huggies in the world for all the battery truthers in this thread. Conspiracy theories are fun but only in the context of debunking them—and the occasional bout of mockery.