Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today launched its seasonal back-to-school sale for the upcoming school year in the United States and Canada, offering students free AirPods alongside purchases of select Macs and iPad models.

2021-back-t0-school.png

Similar to last year's promotion, this year's offer includes free AirPods alongside the purchase of a MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, the new 24-inch iMac, the Mac Pro, Mac mini, and the new M1-powered iPad Pro and the iPad Air. Alongside the free AirPods, qualifying students and educators can get 20% off AppleCare+ with their purchases.

During checkout, customers can upgrade their AirPods to include wireless charging for just $40 or upgrade to the AirPods Pro for $90. The promotion seems to only be live in the United States and Canada at the time.

Article Link: Apple Launches 2021 Back to School Promotion: Free AirPods With Eligible Mac or iPad Purchase

Last edited:

ant the ninja

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2012
It doesn’t seem as good as last year’s promotion where you could upgrade to the AirPods with wireless case or AirPods Pro for an additional fee. They did add the Mac mini to eligible items this year which is good.
It’s the same promotion I believe.

“During checkout, customers can upgrade their AirPods to include wireless charging for just $40 or upgrade to the AirPods Pro for $90. The promotion seems to only be live in the United States and Canada at the time.”

Reactions: Djh4601

themacobserver

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2016
It doesn’t seem as good as last year’s promotion where you could upgrade to the AirPods with wireless case or AirPods Pro for an additional fee. They did add the Mac mini to eligible items this year which is good.
?❓

During checkout, customers can upgrade their AirPods to include wireless charging for just $40 or upgrade to the AirPods Pro for $90.

IllinoisCorn

Suspended
Jan 15, 2021
I anticipate some forum member whining about this, but come on---it's a great deal for who this promotion is for---kids/young adults.

I'm shocked they give anything away at all---I always considered the back to school thing as a way to sag some sales away from WinTel back in the day.

Apple is cool now--people will buy the machines regardless of what back to school goody they get.

Jony Ive and Co.

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2020
You know, the MacBook Air is really a good deal considering the alternatives. For $999 you get top performance and the great experience of Apple products. The only real competitor is Microsoft Surface laptop, and that costs even more than $999. The other alternatives (Chromebooks, cheap Lenovo etc) are just urgh - poor quality and the designs are so outdated. With educational pricing and free AirPods it's a no brainer.

kc9hzn

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2020
That’s certainly better than the $100 App Store gift card I got.
It was a printer my freshman year. Though there might have been a choice between that and $100 off on an iPod nano. (Though I kinda doubt that, as I’m not sure why I would have picked out the printer instead, which I definitely remember getting.)

dukeblue219

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2012
You know, the MacBook Air is really a good deal considering the alternatives. For $999 you get top performance and the great experience of Apple products. The only real competitor is Microsoft Surface laptop, and that costs even more than $999. The other alternatives (Chromebooks, cheap Lenovo etc) are just urgh - poor quality and the designs are so outdated. With educational pricing and free AirPods it's a no brainer.
The MacBook Air *is* a great deal, but there are plenty of other competitors in the $1000 laptop range than "Chromebooks, cheap Lenovo etc. " It's very different than the $400 budget PC space you're talking about. Envy 13, Zenbook 13, XPS 13 can all be found at that price.

orbital~debris

macrumors 68020
Mar 3, 2004
UK, Europe
Is the school year drastically different in North America (than UK/Europe)?

Because here, school hasn’t even finished for the summer holidays yet (a few weeks to go), let alone start planning a computer purchase for back to school…

SirAnthonyHopkins

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2020
Is the school year drastically different in North America (than UK/Europe)?

Because here, school hasn’t even finished for the summer holidays yet (a few weeks to go), let alone start planning a computer purchase for back to school…

US school summers last about 3 months, AFAIK, whereas in the UK they're six weeks.

Reactions: orbital~debris

kkclstuff

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2015
NYC
for how long.. until when?

Edit: from 9to5Mac article... "offer from now until September 27".
Come on MR!

Last edited:
Reactions: jent
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.