Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rolfbert

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2009
EU
Funnily enough you can buy a 32gb 5c from retailers for 30€ less than what Apple charges for the 8gb......

Darrensk8

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2010
Haha, how is it "greed" to simply introduce an additional spec of an existing model? Can't you just choose not to buy it? You act like Apple is shipping these out automatically to everyone with an Apple ID and billing their credit card. I agree it would be silly to buy it, but that isn't the same thing. Actually I think it's silly to buy anything but the high end model if you're talking $100 extra initially but are signing a 2 year contract that adds up to ~$2000.

If only it where funny :rolleyes:

It seems like some terrible joke to me

Mac-a-Mac

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2009
how strange when you can get the 16GB one at any other store but apple for no more than 500€ already cuz its just not selling.
Just few minutes ago I've seen in a supermarket's leaflet the iPhone 5c 16GB 499€.
Bye bye 8GB :D

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
The 5C failed because for $100 more you could get the S.

Then AT&T and a few other carriers offered the 5S for $100 off before the holidays and now have the $100 promo again by adding a new line.

So why buy a 5C when you can get the 5S for the same price?

The 5C should've been free to begin with and with 32GB entry instead of 16GB.
I was just about to write this exact same thing! the reason the 5C is failing is it did not fill the lower cost phone space because everyone could get the 5s for the same price because of all the carrier promos......
The 5c should have been free or $99 with 2 year contract.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
If you go to the Apple site, click on the iPad header and scroll to compare all iPads, you see something interesting. The entire line of existing iPad offerings have a very high degree of feature parity. Some specifications are different, price, chip, carrier support, digital zoom. But for the most part the key features of the current offering set has a very high degree of feature parity.

Rocketman

http://www.apple.com/ipad/compare/

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Let's face it: the 5c has been a failure and the pricing is laughable. A 8 GB version won't change that. Sheesh, even a low end USB stick offers more storage space.

Says who? Analysts and blogs that take Tim Cook's words about selling fewer than expected units at launch out of context? The phone is selling and possibly enough to cover its costs etc.

----------

Device capacity does matter when you only have 8GB, download some games, take some pictures and videos, sync come music and you're using almost all the capacity and looking what do you have to delete.

Perhaps the folks buying this model, even as a 4S aren't looking for a phone to do all that.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I am really confused as to why ANYONE would consider the iPad 2 or even now the iPad 4 at the $399 price point. We have stores locally (and you can find deals all day online) for the Air for $459, sometimes even less.

If these stores sell the iPad Air $40 below the official price, why wouldn't they sell an iPad 4 $40 below the official price? I would expect the difference in percent to be the same. All depends on what you use it for.

Ted13

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2003
NYC
now this is a very stupid decision apple.

The iPhone cannot work on on 8 GB will affect user experience and drive people away from maybe their first experience.

I think it's a really bad bad choice right now.
You do realize that they have ALWAYS sold a 8GB model, which until yesterday was the iPhone 4S, so absolutely nothing has changed other than which model is the 8GB one...

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
You do realize that they have ALWAYS sold a 8GB model, which until yesterday was the iPhone 4S, so absolutely nothing has changed other than which model is the 8GB one...

Yes, but 8GB is embarrassing at that price point.

Kind of an early April Fools joke!

numlock

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2006
Says who? Analysts and blogs that take Tim Cook's words about selling fewer than expected units at launch out of context? The phone is selling and possibly enough to cover its costs etc.

----------

Perhaps the folks buying this model, even as a 4S aren't looking for a phone to do all that.

and info about unsold stock.

btw how is the following taken out of context

the mix was something very different than we thought.

not slightly but very different. one can also assume that those words were chosen quite carefully.

wait you question the info analysts have but you know enough to speculate that the 5c is covering its costs. what info do you have to back that up? and obviously a better response to that by redorchestra below.

no why would you buy a smartphone to do smartfeatures. that of course dosent make any sense.

Last edited:

Mac-a-Mac

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2009
btw just for comparisons sake a 16 gig 5s with tax in the us is actually cheaper.
US Dollar prices are lower, even though they SHOULD convert favoring the Euro, for example a 5c at $549 should cost around 399€ but they sell it at 629€!

That's a shame!

:rolleyes:

RedOrchestra

Suspended
Aug 13, 2012
"The phone is selling and possibly enough to cover its costs"

That's a solid business plan, if I ever heard one!

Black.Infinity

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2010
Apple tree-Toronto
the cost difference between 8GB and 16GB chip for apple is about $10 dollars.
People with more space can even purchase more content from app store and iTunes store so more money for Apple.

hansonjohn590

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2013
$399 for an out of date iPad? Why even bother? Are they so out of touch that they think this will shorten the gap between Android and iOS?

lolkthxbai

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011
The iPad 4 at £329 is a ridiculously good deal.

It's still an absolute screamer, runs all the latest apps as on par with iPad Air and is the exact same performance wise on iOS 7.1 as the Air.

If you want the lighter body form then go for the Air but the 4 has lots of life left in it, the A6X is a great chip.

It's a great chip but it does not compare to the performance and power of the iPad air.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
well apple i believe isnt breaking down 5s and 5c sales so thats the only info we have. and adding this new version i think it points to one conclusion but thats just my view.

their increased sales though are because the market has been increasing. % wise they are losing marketshare.

yes i know an 8 gig has been around for years. thats kinda my point. lets move on. as i said in post above i find offering future limiting capacity a bad way of offering an entry phone.

as you can see in that same post from me above ive been getting by on an 8 gig phone since 2007 though i believe it has pretty much limited my use to more of a glorified feature phone.

as for non techie users i can name two people. my mom (65) but she is game, news and music crazy. 8 gig would never be enough for her. hell she got upset when one of the weather apps decided to decrease their appsize and cut out the animations. then there is my sister who admittedly dosent use apps and games much but takes a lot of pics and videos and has to have every one of them on the iphone so obviously shes grown out of a 16 gig.

however im not saying they represent a larger pool of people but just two examples.

Yesterday the smallest iPhone 5C available was the 16GB. But now that an 8GB is available... you think all hell will break loose.

It won't.

Just because an 8GB 5C iPhone is at the store... doesn't mean anyone has to buy it.

If 8GB won't be enough for your mom and 16GB won't be enough for your sister... they shouldn't buy an 8GB phone... period. Tell them to buy a 16GB and 32GB instead. They probably know that already.

My last iPhone was 16GB. I now have a 32GB. I went up. That's normal.

I'm sorry you've been limited by your 8GB iPhone for the last 8 years... but that's your fault. You needed a bigger phone... but you chose not to upgrade.

In contrast... there are people who will never fill an 8GB phone. That's who 8GB phones are for.

Here are the iPhone models and capacities:

4S - 8GB
5C - 8GB
5C - 16GB
5C - 32GB
5S - 16GB
5S - 32GB
5S - 64GB

Choose wisely. This isn't that difficult.

stukick

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2000
Anybody else feel like Steve Job's rotting corpse could run Apple better than Tim Cook at this point?

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
It's a smart business move to "try" and capitalize on certain market segments. The problem is that Apple successfully created an image in peoples minds that they are a premium brand. This would be like Ferrari making a 4 cylinder turbo car and selling it for a lot more than other 4 cylinder turbos. It doesn't make sense in the minds of people who associate a brand with premium quality and then it's not. Like others have said 8gb is not premium in 2014 - 16gb isn't anymore so going backwards makes no sense.

People (me included) miss the days when the new(er) Apple came out with premium products that we wanted to have instead of trying to dominate all possible market segments.

numlock

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2006
Yesterday the smallest iPhone 5C available was the 16GB. But now that an 8GB is available... you think all hell will break loose.

It won't.

Just because an 8GB 5C iPhone is at the store... doesn't mean anyone has to buy it.

If 8GB won't be enough for your mom and 16GB won't be enough for your sister... they shouldn't buy an 8GB phone... period. Tell them to buy a 16GB and 32GB instead. They probably know that already.

My last iPhone was 16GB. I now have a 32GB. I went up. That's normal.

I'm sorry you've been limited by your 8GB iPhone for the last 8 years... but that's your fault. You needed a bigger phone... but you chose not to upgrade.

In contrast... there are people who will never fill an 8GB phone. That's who 8GB phones are for.

Here are the iPhone models and capacities:

4S - 8GB
5C - 8GB
5C - 16GB
5C - 32GB
5S - 16GB
5S - 32GB
5S - 64GB

Choose wisely. This isn't that difficult.

i dont think all hell will break loose. i actually thought i had expressed it well enough that im disappointed this is the only thing apple can think of to offer a "cheaper" phone and further than the 5c is a continuing disappointment in my eyes.

my example for my mom and my sister was merely an anecdotal evidence in reply to comment a about non techie people you made. simply just because you arent a techie dosent mean you dont require space.

im not blaming anyone but myself regarding my situation and my phone (even if i blame myself). certainly not apple. again i was pointing how life is on an 8 gig device in this day and age.

if you want me to word it differently i can say. i wish apple would offer a cheaper/more reasonably price entry phone with usable and more future proof capacity.

Last edited:

Narcaz

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2013
Whoever is responsible for the european pricing scheme, is either a poor market analyst or a person blessed with a big portion ignorance. Product quality is maybe not the biggest problem. A lot of people buy unsubsidized phones here and the 5C pricing is not competitive. That's why I still think, that the 5C is a total fail in Europe and there must a huge stock of unsold phones. One of the biggest retailer sold the 5C 32gb last weekend for 500€ (normal price 700€ at the Apple Store).

BJonson

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2010
$399 for an out of date iPad? Why even bother? Are they so out of touch that they think this will shorten the gap between Android and iOS?

The funny part is that the 4th gen ipad released at $499 so 2 yrs later and it is only $100 cheaper.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.