Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
For those asking who is the customer or why no redesign, probably don't realize Apple sells a large number of these devices in to the retail and customer service industry. Several companies make sleds that can act as bar code readers and/or POS credit card terminals. By not changing the form factor, companies don't have to wait for the sled manufacturers to update their product.
Pretty expensive for a POS terminal/bar code reader. Does that need an A10 chip?

Zdigital2015

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2015
East Coast, United States
For those asking who is the customer or why no redesign, probably don't realize Apple sells a large number of these devices in to the retail and customer service industry. Several companies make sleds that can act as bar code readers and/or POS credit card terminals. By not changing the form factor, companies don't have to wait for the sled manufacturers to update their product.

You’re right, I completely forgot about that. Even Apple uses them for their POS checkout in the Apple Store.

The Overview page for the iPod touch is firmly geared towards parents and kids. I suspect this is a device parents buy for their kids before they are allowed to have a mobile phone or parents who have Android phones and are tired of listening to the kids complain that their friends all have iPhones and/or iOS devices.

Source: https://www.apple.com/ipod-touch/

Reactions: NetMage

Glockworkorange

Suspended
Feb 10, 2015
Chicago, Illinois
Wow, this is just like the lead up to the March event. So, what’s left that’s do for hardware updates? The little MacBook (I don’t include the Air and the Mini because those were fall release last year)?

If they don’t convert that to an ARM machine that one’s probably a dead man walking.

Next week I think we’ll get the new Mac Pro, the new display, and a new iMac Pro with the design language of the the new display.

Design revisions to the iMac and MacBook Pro lines next year, plus a re-design of the phone.

2019 is just the Year of the Speed Bumps. Disappointing—I was hoping for newly designed products!

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
You’re right, I completely forgot about that. Even Apple uses them for their POS checkout in the Apple Store.

The Overview page for the iPod touch is firmly geared towards parents and kids. I suspect this is a device parents buy for their kids before they are allowed to have a mobile phone or parents who have Android phones and are tired of listening to the kids complain that their friends all have iPhones and/or iOS devices.

Source: https://www.apple.com/ipod-touch/

Go on Amazon right now. You can get an iPhone 7 for under $300. Seems to me that’s a better option than this device. You don’t have to activate the cellular.

Reactions: ConfusedChris

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
Seriously! that was my initial thought, a design from 2012... the least they could do is update the design a bit.
Why? It’s a slab with a screen. The UI and performance are really all that matter. The goal of the touch to to be as cheap as possible, so an edge to edge display is not in the cards. Changing the shape just for the sake of it would also break compatibility with existing accessories without adding anything tangible.
I’m pretty sure that you are not the market for a Touch, so don’t worry about it.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Good news for people with kids.
And don’t forget stores with mobile Point of Sale etc. these devices don’t exactly need to be phones with actual service. The design stayed the same to more than likely still accommodate those $1k retail credit card sleds.
[doublepost=1559049253][/doublepost]
Pretty expensive for a POS terminal/bar code reader. Does that need an A10 chip?
Software on those need to be updated too to meet the needs of the business. Especially with endless aisle etc, Safari can’t crash during these types of transactions.
[doublepost=1559049312][/doublepost]
Go on Amazon right now. You can get an iPhone 7 for under $300. Seems to me that’s a better option than this device. You don’t have to activate the cellular.
A lot of those credit card sleeves like ones from Verifone are still designed around the iPod touch.

nvmls

Suspended
Mar 31, 2011
Buying one right now for the purpose of running the latest iOS Developer Beta.

Want to be able to test Apple’s latest software without risking one of my main iOS devices.

Impressive. Thanks for letting us know. What a time to be alive.

neuropsychguy

macrumors 68020
Sep 29, 2008
Reactions: Breaking Good

thawk9455

macrumors member
May 2, 2013

You obviously haven't ever shopped for dedicated barcode/POS retail devices. Their prices are CRAZY for something that can't do 10% of what an iPod touch can do. And no, what we use them for doesn't require an A10 chip, but we do require they run a current OS for security (as would any PCI compliance if people are accepting credit cards on them or HIPPA if they're used in medical). That means Apple has to keep them just current enough to maintain OS support going forward.

And for those that are saying this must mean the next iOS won't support more devices, do you really think Apple is going to stop supporting the OS on iOS devices they were selling yesterday (or within the last six months). If anything, I'd say this means iOS 14 won't support devices like the iPhone 6, 6s, SE and the iPod touch 6 (over a year from now).

I'm guessing this update ensures anyone (including businesses) that purchases an iPod now will have OS compatibility for at least another 2-4 years on the device.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.