Apple Launches New 'Why You'll Love an iPhone' Web Campaign

Status
Not open for further replies.

NativeTxn

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2013
I looked for reviews and the only ones that I saw that mirrored your claim, word for work actually, had Android in their name. go figure. a site about a product that actually supports their products. I need to go back to see how many Apple lovers are trolling there. my guess 0! Well here are just a couple of head to head comparison that go further than specs.

The Iphone 5 screen lives up to the claims that it is the best smartphone screen ever, and is undoubtedly the best display yet to grace an Iphone. The 4in display is ridiculously crisp and has excellent viewing angles, with its only letdown being its poor outdoor visibility. However, it's fair to say that the screen on the HTC One X fares no better in direct sunlight.
That said, the 4.7in display on the HTC One X is also one of the most gorgeous on the smartphone market, offering great vibrancy, clarity and viewing angles. However, compared to the Iphone, text can look a tiny bit fuzzy.
Winner: Iphone 5

Overall winner: Iphone 5
The HTC One X is undeniably a great smartphone, and it is a better choice for those who prefer the Android operating system. However, if you're after a speedy smartphone with a great design and a fine screen, the Iphone 5 comes out on top.

http://m.theinquirer.net/inquirer/review/2216467/apple-iphone-5-vs-htc-one-x-head-to-head-review

All three of the smartphones boast brilliantly bright and crisp displays, thoughin our opinion, the iPhone 5 has the best.
Apple's loaded the iPhone 5 with an impressive 4in 1136x640 326 ppi screen that features the firm's custom Retina display technology.
We found that while smaller than the S3 and One X+'s 4.7in and 4.8in displays and actually boasting a lower ppi count than the impressive 720x1280 330ppi Super Amoled display of the Samsung device, the iPhone 5 just looked better.
Running the three head-to-head, we found the iPhone's display was slightly crisper and colours were a touch more vibrant than on the One X+ and S3.
That said, the difference in is minor and we only noticed it after a prolonged period of time closely comparing all three screens. Ultimately, all three devices have great screens and most users won't notice the minor difference in quality unless they really look for it.
Winner: The iPhone 5
http://m.v3.co.uk/v3-uk/review/2244615/htc-one-x-vs-samsung-galaxy-s3-vs-apple-iphone-5-headtohead-review
I believe he is talking about the new HTC One that has not yet been released...not the HTC One X

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
These are just silly:

Thinner, lighter design - So much than before. And so much less, too - Wow now that's something. A new phone that was thinner AND lighter than it's predecessor! Here I thought it would be bigger and heavier!

Ultra fast wireless - Just like Android phones, so what?

iSight camera - The camera you love now shoot panorama - My Galaxy Nexus shoots panorama before PLUS it shoot with Photo Sphere. So what? If anything, the iPhone's camera software is limited.

iOS 6 - The world's most advanced mobile operating system. - More like the most limited...

Interesting. I can't find any reason why anyone would like an Android phone. ;)
-Customization
-Widgets
-Custom lock screen
-Google Now (better than Siri at this point)
-Larger screens available
-Choose default browser
-Alternative keyboards
-Custom home launchers
-Removable storage and battery (on some phones)
-Custom ROMS

Want me to go on? ;)

Last edited:

genovelle

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2008
I have not seen the Galaxy S4 yet, so I cannot tell whether it makes a difference or not, or if I will need a microscope to see the individual pixels on it. But that is not really the point.

The point is that Apple is just saying that its products are the only ones to have retina displays. Is Apple trying to deceive consumers or what? A retina display is just a trademark for a display with a very high pixel density. Samsung has it, Motorola has it, HTC has it, Nokia has it, and nearly every smartphone maker has it these days. They are just not named retina, due to copyright and/or trademark issues.
Apple's display is a retina display that doesn't
use tech which is said to reduce the actual PPI. their design and implementation is unique and has continued to win head to head comparisons against these phones with much higher PPI but are not retina displays. Just like the iphone has consistently won side by side photo comparisons against phones with much higher MP counts. Here's just one of many.

http://m.v3.co.uk/v3-uk/review/2244615/htc-one-x-vs-samsung-galaxy-s3-vs-apple-iphone-5-headtohead-review

----------

Yes, that is the point.

The only thing special about retina displays is the very high pixel density. It was unique back in 2010 when the iPhone 4 was unveiled.

Now, every smartphone maker has been able to replicate it. It is still something special for tablets and laptops, but all high-end smartphones now have a retina-class display.

I don't know why Apple stresses that in the new iPhone ad. Looks like a desperate attempt to show an additional advantage of the iPhone over the competition, even if it is no advantage at all, since most of them have similar displays.
because they know like the reviewers who have done head to heads that the iPhone just looks better and that PPI is only one part of the retina display equation.

HenryDJP

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Really wanted the Galaxy S4 to be successful so Apple could become even MORE competitive, hope it's not just competitive marketing.

Campaign is good and remember it's for the masses not people who frequent these boards.
Yes, but if the competition can't do better, such as Samsung, then how do you expect Apple to? My point is ideas for the Smartphone are getting fewer and far between. How much else should one need on their Smartphone that's not currently out there? I'm not even entertaining listen to the chanting for NFC and all the rest of that nonsense. I'm talking more about the Smartphones out there do make calls, although too many techies seem to have forgotten that making calls is the real reason for having a Smartphone in the first place.

The rest of the fluff (outside of being a personal organizer) offers a wide library to practically turn the phone into anything one could desire, I guessing.

genovelle

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2008
Apple used it since no one can sue; I guess "retina" is trademarked. It just sounds cool and impressive.
It is also their technology that is more than just the number of pixels per inch but combines a number of their other refinement that allows it to continue to beat these newer phones with a higher PPI by companies who have had almost two years to work on it.

genovelle

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2008
Clearly a lack of self-confidence. Just because others have other views, they, and i use your words:
"...are being paid to troll."

Seriously?

Does that mean, that you want a pseudo-forum, where only one view is allowed!?
no I would prefer a forum where Apple Haters don't frequent. there is a difference and it is found in the shameless promotion of all things not Apple. I thinks it speaks poorly of anyone who goes to a user support site to bash a company they clearly don't support. it is a distraction. Only a person with low self esteem would frequently do this for free, just to trash what others clearly enjoy. pathetic!

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
Let's be serious guys. The people that wanted the iPhone 5 bought an iPhone 5 already. I wouldn't be surprised if Apple is selling more iPhone 4/4s to casual iPhone buyers because of the price. Do we really think an ad will all of a sudden change people's mind? The iPhone is the most popular phone out there and the vast majority of people already know what their getting. Even a 10 year old knows what a Retina display is by now because everyone has beaten the word to death. Retina is now meaningless to Android fanbois.
The HTC One and the Samsung S4 are clearly far superior to the iPhone 5. It's like Apple knew this and decided to whip up a quick ad to "try" to make people love the iPhone 5 again. The sales of the iPhone 5 are only going to get worst because of how Apple trains everyone to wait for the next release and because of competition.
We are only 3 months into 2013 and we still have Google releasing the next version of Android and their entire Nexus line. Then you have Motorola which is a sleeping giant. And you got Samsung again with the Note 3.
Well it is six months since the 5 was released so it should be getting a little stale. But I suspect it will still be the top selling smartphone for the current quarter. Next quarter the GS4 should over take it. But a little marketing will help. Then an early launch of the 5S in August should end the GS4's time in the limelight.

genovelle

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2008
Ironically a BUNCH of people put up with Samsung mainly because of a replaceable battery. I have begged for years. Apple, offer a double battery capacity BTO option. Some people NEED. it. Not want, need.

I had to put my 4S on the charger twice today and considering how far I was from civilization one of those times, it was a safety issue.

Rocketman
you should get a battery case. the reason for the non replacable battery is because they wanted the device to last longer. Removable batteries have contacts that lose their connection over time and use then they start creating other issues like shorting boards etc. this is why they are headed this way with laptops too.

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
you should get a battery case. the reason for the non replacable battery is because they wanted the device to last longer. Removable batteries have contacts that lose their connection over time and use then they start creating other issues like shorting boards etc. this is why they are headed this way with laptops too.
Please cite a source for your claim per forum rules. And your claim sounds absolutely ludicrous.

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68020
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC
For me the biggest problem is the battery life.

The battery life suck. I barely get through a day, and many times I have to recharge in the evening.

I know it's a software bug (**) but Apple makes both hardware and software, so no excuses. I cringe every time I see somebody in Starbucks with an iPhone wall adapter and their phone plugged in - an increasingly common sight.

That should never, ever be necessary with an iPhone.

(**) IT's a software bug because according to my usage stats on my phone, I am using the phone 5 to 6 hours a day. Which is of course a joke, I have a job, things to do, etc, I am not sitting in front of my phone for 5 hours...
How many push email accounts do you have set up? With just one, my iPhone 5 lasts an ungodly amount of time. Add another, and I'm charging every night...add the third, and I'm charging right after work.

genovelle

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2008
Let's be serious guys. The people that wanted the iPhone 5 bought an iPhone 5 already. I wouldn't be surprised if Apple is selling more iPhone 4/4s to casual iPhone buyers because of the price. Do we really think an ad will all of a sudden change people's mind? The iPhone is the most popular phone out there and the vast majority of people already know what their getting. Even a 10 year old knows what a Retina display is by now because everyone has beaten the word to death. Retina is now meaningless to Android fanbois.
The HTC One and the Samsung S4 are clearly far superior to the iPhone 5. It's like Apple knew this and decided to whip up a quick ad to "try" to make people love the iPhone 5 again. The sales of the iPhone 5 are only going to get worst because of how Apple trains everyone to wait for the next release and because of competition.
We are only 3 months into 2013 and we still have Google releasing the next version of Android and their entire Nexus line. Then you have Motorola which is a sleeping giant. And you got Samsung again with the Note 3.
this is every year, but Apple still beats them when they release. The Head to Head reviews on the HTC vs iPhone 5 had the iPhone as the winner. Best looking screen, better performace because Android still lagged with a quad processor. The S4 uses the same PPI depreciating tech as the S3 so only time will tell if it helps, because the iPhone 5 beat the S3 and its interesting that they refused to let the reviewers run any benchmark apps on the S4 during their time with it. Odd considering they must be building them already if its out next month.

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68020
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC
Hmm.

Okay, hear me out. What if Apple is currently devoting all of its resources to the next "big thing" and isn't too focused on the iPhone anymore? I have this theory that the iPhone has become just like their Mac line and they will only update it with processor upgrades, better camera, etc. instead, they are putting extreme focus into the future product that will probably change our lives just like the iPhone did in 2007.

Remember when the first iPhone was released and Apple said that they were years ahead of the competition? Well, I think they are on the verge of a new product that will completely change the way we interact and use mobile devices.(iwatch & google glass anyone?) I mean this is a big IF, but what if they are about to leap years ahead of the competition again?

Call me crazy. No idea why I thought about this happening. If it happened with the iPod, iPhone, and iPad, then it could happen again. Technology must advanced somehow.

Lately, I've been using my iPhone less and less. It's not because it's not a capable and easy to use device. It's because I'm getting tired of reaching into my pocket and being overwhelmed with information at my fingertips. That probably doesn't make any sense, but there's gotta be one person who understands what I'm trying to get across.

Apple isn't worried. They are about to jump years ahead of everyone again. Just wait. It's a giant circle.
I would agree if iPhone weren't more than 50% of Apple's revenue. Really doubt they're treating it like the Mac.

genovelle

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2008
I believe he is talking about the new HTC One that has not yet been released...not the HTC One X
No he said the One X and referred to reviews that would not have been done if its not even out.

"Actually - many, many, MANY sites and reviews have said that the 720p S-LCD2 display on the HTC One X, the display on the Xperia Z and the 1080p S-LCD3 displays on the HTC Droid DNA and the HTC One blow the iPhone 5 out of the water.
Originally Posted by Krimsonmyst"

NativeTxn

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2013
No he said the One X and referred to reviews that would not have been done if its not even out.

"Actually - many, many, MANY sites and reviews have said that the 720p S-LCD2 display on the HTC One X, the display on the Xperia Z and the 1080p S-LCD3 displays on the HTC Droid DNA and the HTC One blow the iPhone 5 out of the water.
Originally Posted by Krimsonmyst"
Looks to me like he refers to the one x and the one - so I guess in a way we are both right.

Also, even though it hasn't been released to the public, there are folks who have received the HTC One for testing and doing (p)reviews.

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
While it might not be the reason, to say that it's not even possible is just as ridiculous. Moving/Removable parts do reduce the life of every device out there.
Since you can't provide a source to back up your claim per forum rules, you should retract your post. And your claim is ridiculous because how do you think you charge your iPhone? OMG, the iPhone has electrical contacts!

Rad99004

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2009
Its all about iOS 7.

Literally. Same joke as iOS 6 or iOS redefined?
I imagine APPLe will say IOS 7 won't run on the iPad 2 and 3 this time around like they did with the iPad 1 when IOS 5 was released.

Not to mention half of my apps will no longer work without an update. Another reason for better backwards compatibility or compatibility mode setting.

Obese Lobsters

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2010
It seems like an extension of what their website was already advertising, I like how the ads focus on the practical side of the iphone such as how the phone will be used daily. Still thinking about Microsoft's surface ad not telling the audience anything about how its being used only that a keyboard snaps to the bottom of it.

Doward

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2013
To a point. If you have ever looked at any other smartphone screen you'll notice they look cartoonish. That's terrible color saturation. The colors on the iPhone 5 and iPad 3 and 4 are 99% accurate. No other screen comes close.

PPI is like the megapixel craze for cameras. It matter to a point.
You should check out the Super LCD3 1080p display on the HTC One. Very nice colors. Agreed about the cartoonish look inherent in Super AMOLED, though!

Status
Not open for further replies.