Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
How is this. "According to Apple, some iPhone 6 Plus devices may exhibit Multi-Touch issues after "being dropped multiple times on a hard surface," causing damage to the device. Under its repair program, Apple will fix affected iPhone 6 Plus devices for a service price of $149."

congruent with this "Customers who paid more than $149 to have their devices fixed before the repair program was implemented will be able to get their money reimbursed by Apple." ?

Reactions: profets

BootsWalking

macrumors 68020
Feb 1, 2014
"some iPhone 6 Plus devices may exhibit Multi-Touch issues after "being dropped multiple times on a hard surface," causing damage to the device."

Apple's customer service fixes the stupidity of many yet again. You drop it, you pay for it. Sucks to be clumsy, Apple shouldn't have to do this, but they are and that's one reason why I stick with them.

Hi Phil. Say hello to Tim for us.

Johnny907

macrumors 68020
Sep 20, 2014
So Apple finally addresses the issue after how many lawsuits, but demands $149 bucks to make right something they broke through poor design/manufacturing?
I know I've been highly critical of Apple lately, but I really hope the lawyers for the impending class action lawsuit just take them to town over this nonsense. The hell is wrong with Tim Cook and company?

Soccertess

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2005
"some iPhone 6 Plus devices may exhibit Multi-Touch issues after "being dropped multiple times on a hard surface," causing damage to the device."

Apple's customer service fixes the stupidity of many yet again. You drop it, you pay for it. Sucks to be clumsy, Apple shouldn't have to do this, but they are and that's one reason why I stick with them.

See, I'm on the fence. While I think 149 is fair, if these phones are just damaging because they are poorly designed and can't take normal use, than maybe 149 is high.

As ifixit has noted, other iphones have guck that protects it. Expect Apple didn't put it in the 6, and iFix it noted that after a year or so these issues starting showing up and as time went on these issues became more prevalent.

This leads me to lean on not the clumsy customer, but poor engineering as I doubt only clumsy customers own iphone 6, vs all other phones that have the guck. Anyways, I think Apple knows they did a boo boo and are offering something.

Personally the best scenario is if Captain Dongle head just took a hike. (ps. Yes this was an engineering issue that had nothing to do with Timmy o'tool but I still dislike the lame duck CEO)

Reactions: Azmodan79

cale508

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2015
IL
They should have asked $149 to replace the whole unit not to repair it. They are doing it to see how many people will buy the 7. Classic example of planned obsolescence.

cmwade77

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2008
So here is what I see:
  • Apple is claiming that it is the user's fault, saying they dropped the phone numerous times on a "hard surface". But doesn't specify how hard of a drop they consider hard nor what is considered a hard surface.
  • A reputable repair shop and site demonstrate that there are indeed design flaws that caused this to occur in these models, but the easy fixes were part of the original design of previous phones.
My thought is this: Apple removed the metal shield and the under fill in these phones, for some unknown reason, yet the presence of these two items would have mostly eliminated this problem, even if it was indeed caused by user error. Thus meaning there is indeed a DESIGN flaw that Apple should be repairing for FREE.

Please note that in the video they have come up with a fix that works long term, basically putting these elements back in before returning the phone. So again, seems to be a design issue to me.

Unfortunately this is not considered a safety related issue, so they can legally get away with not making this a recall.

Reactions: johnmed

kildraik

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2006
I don't think the chipset is a design issue.

Sounds right it's from dropping, even people sitting on their 6's to cause bending. Folks who sit on an expensive piece of tech probably should rethink their sheets-to-the-wind habits.

Always two sides. Apple is probably right on this.

Reactions: citysnaps

tomwvr

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2012
Frederick Maryland
I am on my 3rd 6Plus - the first two had this issue. Apple replaced both of the phones for free, the 2nd one was 4 days out of the warranty window. If they really wanted to fix this issue they would just replace all 6plus phones that get this issue with 6sPLUS phones.

This is not going to help in any class action law suit.

Reactions: johnmed

menace3

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2008
Seattle, WA
Except there are plenty of people whose phones weren't physically dropped and had these problems occur because of the manufacturing errors. But sure, Apple, let's make an excuse that points fault at the customers, and not at itself! And the fact that they're charging $150 instead of owning up to its mistakes and conducting these repairs for a lower price (Or free, IMO) is a laughable joke.

Tim Cook, you're the best CEO to get that profit.

So true. Never dropped mine, it was always in a case, and most of the time left in my briefcase. Apple offered me $300 for repair. Instead I sold it to AT&T for $250 and used an upgrade to 6s Plus but screwed myself out of upgrading to the 7 Plus. And I still blame Apple.

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68040
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
I have not dropped my phone. My iPhone 5 looked brand new when I sold it after 3 and a half years. How do you make such judgement without any data. Maybe you are the one with butter fingers. It's a clear defect as demonstrated by the video in this thread. This is just plain greed.

My iPhone 4 and 5 were in pristine condition when I traded them in back in 2014. My iPhone 6Plus..(knock on wood) NEVER dropped it, It has the silicone case which always gave a good grip to it. Zagg protecting film on the screen, also on the back. It's still in immaculate condition.

Yet I've had one internal issue with this phone back in July 2016 - and the 5 only a month before iPhone 6 came out , Aug 2014) - Battery began to bulge, screen was expanding outward..so it was something that could not be ignored unless I wanted it to blow up like a Samsung. Not sure why that happened to back to back phones, I didn't have this problem with Original iPhone, and 3G

Anyway, as for this Touch IC that seems to pop out of nowhere, my friend had this issue way back in Feb. He also keeps his phone is nice shape. Ended up dropping 300+ to get it fixed. Ok, $149 is better...but still. To me this should be a recall issue ---heck it should have been recalled way back in Spring - and the fix should be $0!

joueboy

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2008
By admitting it I would love to hear a class action lawsuit for this. People have dropped their iPhones from 1st Gen to 5S, now all of a sudden iPhone 6 has problem. Wait a minute they fixed the problem on iPhone 6S with metal reinforcement. Apple thinks they can fool around with their loyal customers nowadays. The way they treat us is going to get worst. Yet some people are going to continue to be fooled around. Too much for being called cult time to wake-up people. It's never too late!

tentales

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2010
Victoria, BC
It's the users fault if they drop their phone multiple times!!!!

Apple shouldn't have done this.
I agree. Apple shouldn't charge users for a design defect.
While some user might lie about having dropped them, many have NOT and still end up with this problem.

Do you also excuse Apple for denying water-damage repairs despite them advertising the IP67 rating and ads demonstrating usage in wet environments?

At what point would you ever fault Apple for anything?
[doublepost=1479430802][/doublepost]
Not a design issue. If you drop your phone, it's your fault. Simple.
[doublepost=1479425171][/doublepost]
Yeah whatever. Users fault...
Nice attitude.

Reactions: SMIDG3T

rimcrazy

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2010
To all of the "Metal Shield" vs "Sticker" Oooooh this is a design flaw people. First, I've seen the video and the claims by the assembly person making these speculations are exactly that. Speculations. This person is NOT a mechanical engineer. This person is NOT an EMI Electrical Engineer. She is a skilled assembly person simply noting that the phones with the shield don't exhibit the problem where the ones with the sticker do. That being said, NEITHER THE SHIELD NOR THE STICKER were designed with the intent of keeping IC's from becoming unsoldered. The EMI shield does have the property that it provides mechanical strength to the PCB, thus minimizing what is probably mechanical flexing which is probably the part of the root cause of the solder balls becoming detached.

Being an IC designer for some 30 years and working in the PC industry for just as long, anyone who has done this kind of work would immediately recognize this issue as most likely 1) a solder ability issue and 2) perhaps a mechanical issue with flexing on the PCB that has problems with the IC becoming detached. My 2cents is it is a manufacturing issue relating to either the type of solder used or the process control or lack thereof relating to how the IC's were originally put on the board. If it was a rampant design flaw then a substantially larger sample of phones would be failing with this problem. Given the fact that this large failure rate does not exist, I'd point my finger to the solder reflow line and what was going on at the time of the failed units. It would not surprise me at all to know (us on the outside will never find this out) that the failing units may all in fact be traced to a specific line or a specific period in time and something happened on the manufacturing line to cause weak solder joints.

All of this being said, is it Apple's fault? Well, yes ultimately of course it is. Is it the design change from a shield to sticker the cause for the problem? I would say no. The design change exacerbated the problem but I don't believe it's the root cause, which, as an engineer, you are most interested in solving. The design change to the stickers from the shield, looking at both a manufacturing cost and a design profile design was probably a very desirable change. Making the change, however, allowed devices that came off the line with the weak solder joints to fail.

I'm not going to get into the muck of who should pay and who should not. Have at it. I just wanted to put my 2c in on what I believe is the real root cause of the problem. And.... like I said.... because of certain liabilities, you and I will never really know but I would guarantee you there is a manufacturing engineer or two at Apple and their assembly plant that know EXACTLY why these units failed and I'd be more that willing to bet EMI shields have NOTHING to do with the root cause of the problem.

Lord Flashheart

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2007
Cardiff by the Sea, CA
By admitting it I would love to hear a class action lawsuit for this. People have dropped their iPhones from 1st Gen to 5S, now all of a sudden iPhone 6 has problem. Wait a minute they fixed the problem on iPhone 6S with metal reinforcement. Apple thinks they can fool around with their loyal customers nowadays. The way they treat us is going to get worst. Yet some people are going to continue to be fooled around. Too much for being called cult time to wake-up people. It's never too late!

When my iPhone 6 128GB is ready for an upgrade, I think I will move on from Apple. I have been a devout supporter, but the quest for thinness without regard for usability ( MacBook Pro, I am looking at you ) with this Touch disease BS and putting design flaw on users... FU Here are some pics of some of my old gear, IMG_1275.jpg IMG_1275.jpg IMG_1269.jpg IMG_1276.jpg I not counting my Cube ( a work of art) Retina MBP, mid 2010, mid 2012, 2007 hell even the old beige Apple towers I used for video editing back in the 90's. Do not like the direction Apple is going.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.