Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gtg465x

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2016
Ugh. I see why the Apple leather cases cover the bottom this year. I returned my Apple leather case because corners kept popping off when I put it in my pocket screen facing out while wearing jeans or other non-stretchy pants. I bought a Mujjo to replace it. The Mujjo looks nice and has nice grip, and while the buttons are much harder to press than the Apple case, at least the corners don’t pop off. BUT, the little lip at the bottom of the phone is killing my pinky. I thought at first that I might could deal with it or that I would get used to it, but I think I’ve only become more sensitive to it in the week I’ve been using it. I never had this problem with previous year open bottom Apple leather cases, and I think it’s because when the bottom of the phone was rounded, both the lip and the bottom of the phone would rest on my pinky instead of just the lip, so it would distribute the weight a little better and not dig in so much. I might have to just rebuy the Apple leather case and try putting it in my pocket screen facing in to prevent the corners from popping off. I just hope the rivets on my jeans don’t scratch my screen up putting it in my pocket that way.

Reactions: VSMacOne

Tdosthp

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2015
Oh no, sorry to hear. What’s your process? This is the first time I’ve ever tried it with my leather case.

In the past, I have wiped down with an alcohol swab to remove any kind of coating Apple may applied to protect the leather. Then, I run down several coats of beeswax and tallow and heat up with a hair dryer.

This year, the alcohol did as others have said and removed portions of the “grain” which left really dark spots. The leather conditioner didn’t absorb in any other areas of the case.

dinosaurjr99

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2021
Hi everyone. A few people asked for more photos of my saddle brown 12PM Apple case mod, so I’ve attached them here. Enjoy!

Attachments

• A8A97075-01EC-48FE-B18F-2C84B1C8F092.jpeg
    A8A97075-01EC-48FE-B18F-2C84B1C8F092.jpeg
    335.1 KB · Views: 423
  • 207115CF-6173-428D-89F5-BB06C029CBDF.jpeg
    207115CF-6173-428D-89F5-BB06C029CBDF.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 456
  • 1A7D90EC-1EED-4828-A6E2-073BDC70E499.jpeg
    1A7D90EC-1EED-4828-A6E2-073BDC70E499.jpeg
    285.4 KB · Views: 414
  • 365FDA1E-16E2-433B-97E8-ACAAEF0F043C.jpeg
    365FDA1E-16E2-433B-97E8-ACAAEF0F043C.jpeg
    389 KB · Views: 377
  • 5B2ACA0F-9A14-4B52-BB4D-B7C49FC340CB.jpeg
    5B2ACA0F-9A14-4B52-BB4D-B7C49FC340CB.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 371

dinosaurjr99

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2021
That looks great. Hope it keeps that look for ya!
Thanks! No clue how long it will last. I can definitely see some changes over the last few days (I did the mod last week), mostly darkening along the sides and back where I grip the phone. Might reapply the leather guard in a month or so depending on how it’s looking.

AnthroMatt

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2011
Redlands, CA
In the past, I have wiped down with an alcohol swab to remove any kind of coating Apple may applied to protect the leather. Then, I run down several coats of beeswax and tallow and heat up with a hair dryer.

This year, the alcohol did as others have said and removed portions of the “grain” which left really dark spots. The leather conditioner didn’t absorb in any other areas of the case.

I’m switching back to silicone or leather from the Apple clear case for this very reason.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
This is a really sad turn of events for Apple (and this thread!). Up to this point I’ve always been very happy with the quality of their leather cases. The more time I spend here the more I realize it’s not a ride I wanna take this year and I’m happy I was able to jump off early before putting too much time into it.

My Bullstrap moved to “out for delivery” by surprise this morning as it wasn’t meant to be delivered until Monday. I’ve read some unsavory reviews surrounding the open bottom leather cases so we’ll have to see how it feels before I decide whether I’m keeping it. A $69 drawer decoration doesn’t sit well with me. I think there’s a pretty solid chance I’ll end up sticking with the green silicone just cause of how comfortable it is. Choices choices.

Last edited:

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I just received a Bullstrap Burbon case having cancelled this Dec 11 order and getting a refund. Yeah, was a bit of a shocker. So, I opened it and ... wow. Thick heavy duty leather just like what Sena did before going paper thin this year. The case is lightweight and the sides are not overly lengthy.

I really really like this case. I've contacted Bullstrap asking to pay for the case having received it despite cancelling my order.

This case reminds me of the old Sena cases I used in the past - thick heavy duty leather, perfect construction, fits phone as good as the Apple case, and protects the camera completely without a plastic insert. Buttons feel perfect - very Apple like quality. The leather smell is really powerful.

Cool!

I like the feel of the Burkley leather better but the case is a lot bigger/heavier than the Bullstrap. The Bullstrap leather is more slippery and the Burkley leather is more rough. I think I'm sticking with the Bullstrap.

Last edited:

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
I just received a Bullstrap Burbon case having cancelled my Dec 11 order and getting a refund. Yeah, was a bit of a shocker. So, I opened it and ... wow. Thick heavy duty leather just like what Sena did before going paper thin this year. The case is lightweight and the sides are not overly lengthy.

I really really like this case. I've contacted Bullstrap asking to pay for the case.

This case reminds me of the old Sena cases I used in the past - thick heavy duty leather, perfect construction, fits phone as good as the Apple case, and protects the camera completely without a plastic insert. Buttons feel perfect - very Apple like quality. The leather smell is really powerful.

Cool!

I like the feel of the Burkley leather better but the case is a lot bigger/heavier than the Bullstrap. The Bullstrap leather is more slippery and the Burkley leather is more rough. I think I'm sticking with the Bullstrap.
If you didn’t see me raving over in another thread, I got my Bullstrap this afternoon too. The Ocean color.

Wow. What a case.

the-seeker

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2012
I returned my Bullstrap case as they sent the wrong size. And didn’t like how the whole purchase process went with their CS. But, I got Burkley in burnished red. I felt the leather was better than Bullstrap, though a bit thicker. And I feel it might age better than the Bullstrap colors. (With my silver pro).
May be, a few months down the line, I might get a Bullstrap or Burkley in Black.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I returned my Bullstrap case as they sent the wrong size. And didn’t like how the whole purchase process went with their CS. But, I got Burkley in burnished red. I felt the leather was better than Bullstrap, though a bit thicker. And I feel it might age better than the Bullstrap colors. (With my silver pro).
May be, a few months down the line, I might get a Bullstrap or Burkley in Black.
Yeah the leather on the Burkley is thick and heavy. It’s a great case. I had cancelled my order with Bullstrap because of the back order. Regardless they shipped it anyway lol - just worked it out with their CS and paid. Otherwise I’d just have the Burkley. I’d have been happy with it. Lol :)

Reactions: shr631

shr631

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2013

The burnished red looks awesome in the pics on their website. I was considering that and the ostrich blue. I love my antique distressed coffee though. Got any pics of the burnished red?

Yeah the leather on the Burkley is thick and heavy. It’s a great case. I had cancelled my order with Bullstrap because of the back order. Regardless they shipped it anyway lol - just worked it out with their CS and paid. Otherwise I’d just have the Burkley. I’d have been happy with it. Lol :)

Yep heavy thick leather on this Burkley. Sounds like it worked out with the bullstrap.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

swarmofbees

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2021
Hey guys,

Never owned a Apple Leather case before, and I have a "stupid" question regarding it's material and how it develops. I'm really not concerned about the scuffs or marks, the patina is very welcome as well (I'm interested in the brown case for the iPhone 12). My only concern is stickiness. I sweat a good bit from my hands, unfortunately. And I have the feeling of a sticky case. That's mostly the reason why I stopped using transparent cases, fake silicone cases. On my XR my most used case was a Adidas Stripes, which is probably fake leather?

Thank you so much for the feedback :)

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Hey guys,

Never owned a Apple Leather case before, and I have a "stupid" question regarding it's material and how it develops. I'm really not concerned about the scuffs or marks, the patina is very welcome as well (I'm interested in the brown case for the iPhone 12). My only concern is stickiness. I sweat a good bit from my hands, unfortunately. And I have the feeling of a sticky case. That's mostly the reason why I stopped using transparent cases, fake silicone cases. On my XR my most used case was a Adidas Stripes, which is probably fake leather?

Thank you so much for the feedback :)
This is in regards to the Apple Leather case only. They use such thin leather and coat it with a wax coating that it can feel sticky for awhile, especially if your hands aren't super dry and cracked (like mine are always). I've always had it against the Apple Leather cases how sticky they can get - but it does help with keeping your phone in your hand.

I preferred the thicker/heavier leather cases that Sena made in the past (and now Bullstrap) - because they tend to not get as bad with heavy usage.

Just my opinion. I really dislike how thin Sena and Apple have gone with their leather cases over the last few years. Most people won't have a problem with it tho, I think.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
This is in regards to the Apple Leather case only. They use such thin leather and coat it with a wax coating that it can feel sticky for awhile, especially if your hands aren't super dry and cracked (like mine are always). I've always had it against the Apple Leather cases how sticky they can get - but it does help with keeping your phone in your hand.

I preferred the thicker/heavier leather cases that Sena made in the past (and now Bullstrap) - because they tend to not get as bad with heavy usage.

Just my opinion. I really dislike how thin Sena and Apple have gone with their leather cases over the last few years. Most people won't have a problem with it tho, I think.
The Apple leather case I got for Christmas has a nice plush feel to it but it’s still a little on the slick side. When I got it I was expecting it to feel like cardboard so I was pleasantly surprised.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

nrvous1

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2019
San Antonio, TX
The Apple leather case I got for Christmas has a nice plush feel to it but it’s still a little on the slick side. When I got it I was expecting it to feel like cardboard so I was pleasantly surprised.
Are you referring to the apple leather case? The saddle brown? I have a Nomad on the way for my mini and have a brand new apple leather case that I need to return. Maybe I’ll exchange it for the mini version.

maxilian7

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2020
So I joined the Bullstrap party as well.
And it's the real deal. The leather case Apple should have made.

It feels and smells far superior compared to the Apple one.
As someone else wrote, it feels like Apple's leather case for the iPhone 11 but made for the 12 series.

If you want a leather case that deserve its name, go for the Bullstrap one.

20210104_143256.jpg

20210104_143324.jpg

20210104_142928.jpg
20210104_142939_001.jpg
20210104_143005.jpg
20210104_143042.jpg

Last edited:

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
So I joined the Bullstrap party as well.
And it's the real deal. The leather case Apple should have made.

It feels and smells far superior compared to the Apple one.
As someone else wrote, it feels like Apple's leather case for the iPhone 11 but made for the 12 series.

If you want a leather case that deserve it's name, go for the Bullstrap one.

View attachment 1706530

View attachment 1706531

View attachment 1706532 View attachment 1706533 View attachment 1706534 View attachment 1706535
Beautiful, innit? I still can't get over the smell. I feel a little weird each time I sniff my phone but it's totally worth it.

aRByJr

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2019
Somewhere in NY
I know that we are seeing more leather for the iPhone 12’s, but i just ordered the iPhone 12 Pro Max this afternoon along with the blue and brown leather cases,
And to share some images this is my Apple saddle brown iPhone 11 Pro Max case after 12 months of use, with this case i did not try to speed up the patina, just let it age naturally...

Attachments

• 62A28EA6-D7A3-4DCF-A1B4-7F7250BE132C.jpeg
    62A28EA6-D7A3-4DCF-A1B4-7F7250BE132C.jpeg
    503.4 KB · Views: 207
  • 1311A707-109C-421C-9B23-8CE895EFC6C5.jpeg
    1311A707-109C-421C-9B23-8CE895EFC6C5.jpeg
    494.8 KB · Views: 203
Reactions: shr631 and nrvous1

WNYX

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2018
I like everything about the Bullstrap cases, including the logo on the back and the color choices. The only thing I’d give a very slight edge to the Apple leather cases is the buttons (by a small margin).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.