Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BigDO

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2012
I see that Apple has discontinued the leather cases for the X? They seem to only sell for XS now and as far as I know there are small differences with the camera hole?

overtheline

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2018
Been following this thread for a while. Figured it was time to join in on the fun.

Got my silver xs max on Friday and went with the black leather case. Always seem to end up sticking with the black leather on all my previous models. I've tried saddle brown a few times, and while I appreciate the patina, I can't seem to get past seeing a different color on the front lip against the black screen. If that makes sense. The black is just such a clean look. Personal preference I guess.

Also, gotta say this years leather seems more premium than the last few models.

I do think even the black case develops a nice smooth patina over time. A pic of my X case versus the new guy...

upload_2018-9-24_9-59-53.jpeg

Last edited:

Dino F

Suspended
Sep 16, 2010
Croydon, South London, UK
A few more pics of the forest green with XS max gold. I’m liking it more and more!

View attachment 787091 View attachment 787092
I had the Cosmos Blue on my previous 8 Plus, which developed a really nice patina over the past year.

I was initially gonna go for the Cape Cod blue case for my iPhone XS but when i saw it in store, it was far too light and almost looked like a baby blue colour - not very nice looking!

So, I too, opted for the forest green leather case and it is a beautiful colour! It seems to change colour depending on the surrounding light, so much so that sometimes, it looks almost like a navy colour....!

Reactions: Boardiesboi

b_scott

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2008
Been following this thread for a while. Figured it was time to join in on the fun.

Got my silver xs max on Friday and went with the black leather case. Always seem to end up sticking with the black leather on all my previous models. I've tried saddle brown a few times, and while I appreciate the patina, I can't seem to get past seeing a different color on the front lip against the black screen. If that makes sense. The black is just such a clean look. Personal preference I guess.

Also, gotta say this years leather seems more premium than the last few models.

I do think even the black case develops a nice smooth patina over time. A pic of my X case versus the new guy...

View attachment 787942

I know what you're saying, but after a decade of black cases, it's nice to have a change.

bbednarz

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2017
Chicago
Managed to get one of the last electric blue iPhone X leather cases from the Apple store near my house. Super happy it fits on the Xs. I think it's the nicest looking color case they have ever made. looking forward to see how it ages.

mbhforum

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
Managed to get one of the last electric blue iPhone X leather cases from the Apple store near my house. Super happy it fits on the Xs. I think it's the nicest looking color case they have ever made. looking forward to see how it ages.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but not well. This is after almost 4 months. I just bought Saddle Brown and won't be using this case for obvious reasons.

a24c51be0bde1c2e650dff2ad5d5e25e.jpg

deep1

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2011
Yeah not upgrading this year but have midnight blue and red leather case and just ordered Mujjo tan leather case so can’t wait to try.
If anyone selling their saddle brown would love to get it.

Jeff5i

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2005
Do you all feel the Apple leather cases offer enough protection combined with AppleCare? I’ve always gone with a naked iPhone and leather sleeve, but the $999+ phones have me wanting a bit more protection.

mbhforum

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
Do you all feel the Apple leather cases offer enough protection combined with AppleCare? I’ve always gone with a naked iPhone and leather sleeve, but the $999+ phones have me wanting a bit more protection.

The Apple Leather case provides good protection considering how thin and lightweight they are. I have dropped my phone many times and along with a screen protector, it’s a good setup.

I have it along with AppleCare.

gjr74

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2017
PA, USA
I have this one and I don’t even notice it’s there:

iCarez [ 3D Full Coverage Glass + Tray Installation Screen Protector for iPhone X/XS 5.8 Inch Easy Install [ 2-Pack 0.33MM 9H Hardness] https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077M3V6LC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_p5yQBbBWRQX6E

Would you mind letting us know if the full screen protector causes any issues with Face ID or the front facing camera, being that there’s an extra layer of glass over them? I have a protector on order with the notch cut out, but may go with this instead. Thanks!

mbhforum

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
Would you mind letting us know if the full screen protector causes any issues with Face ID or the front facing camera, being that there’s an extra layer of glass over them? I have a protector on order with the notch cut out, but may go with this instead. Thanks!

I’ve had no issues.

Reactions: gjr74

Nartnailuj

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2018
I work in a hospital which cleaning the phone and case is a must. What should I use clean it without ruining the patina process. So alcohol pad is a no. And that’s the least abrasive wipe we have :/ guess no leather case for work

Jeff5i

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2005
Have any of you tried a sleeve for your leather case/phone to go into? I have been thinking of this approach when my phone is charging, in the car, etc. I’ve been looking at https://www.byrdandbelle.com/

They offer a wool sleeve that fits with the Apple leather case.

eneisch

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
Just bought by new case today and put some leather oil on it

Sorry it was not really oil but this...
For timberland boots

Your case looks great! Thanks for posting the leather treatment you used. I think i'm going to try this as well. Not only will it look good, but will also provide the case with some protection from water.

athletejmv

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2011
I posted this on another topic regarding dropping my iPhone X with a leather case. despite minimal protection from drops (I never expected excellent drop protection for how minimal it is), i loved the apple leather case. the bottom opening was never an issue for me. had the saddle brown, midnight blue and product red on my iPhone 6 for 2yrs. my iPhone 6 is still mint.

have dropped it on the pavement and only damaged the case, the iPhone was fine.

here's mine. dropped it inside my house on our brick fireplace. still fared well IMO. obviously saved the phone. i've dropped it a few other times on my tile at home but no damage. the bottom photo shows about a month of wear.

iPhone X
by Robert, on Flickr

iPhone X
by Robert, on Flickr
After I dropped my iPhone X case in saddle brown, I thought it was done with. However, I ended up loving how much it added to the character... looks just like yours, just a heavier patina :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.