Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nrvous1

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2019
San Antonio, TX
It patinas, just very selectively. The inside corners on the front are very dark (since its where the palm of my hand sits). I think the trick with BullStrap and Mujjo is that you just have to really enjoy the color it comes in, because it won't vary much. That said I think its overall a great case, it protects the camera and has plastic buttons. I'm looking at picking up either their Bourbon case (which basically looks like a 1 year old patina'd Apple case) or the OCEAN color (which might look phenomenal with my white iPhone XR).

I thought about going the Nomad route but I want leather all around as I like the feel, and the side of the nomad case is tpu. Let us know how it patinas though! I've always been curious how those age.

Overall I just really wish Apple would release a leather XR case, as I've always been satisfied with their leather cases (I REALLY REALLY wanted them to release a forest green leather for the XR, but oh well).
You’re exactly right. The sides of the nomad are sort of a rubbery coated material that wraps over the hard plastic shell. I also love the feeling of my bullstrap cases since the leather wraps completely around the case and it just feels more premium.

I have no idea how I missed the bourbon case! Lol, already ordered it after I read your post, but I’ll continue to use my nomad as a daily driver for the next couple of weeks to see how it shows it’s character.

I also wish Apple would have released a leather case for the xr, but here we are. Maybe I’ll just buy an xs or xs max and then have another variety of leather cases to choose from. Lol. I’ve also been looking at the vaja cases as well, but my case collection is starting to creep up to what I paid for my xr. It may just be worth swapping to the xs and selling my xr and going first party. To bad though, I’ve enjoyed my xr since the day I purchase it back in April of this year. It’s been my first iPhone coming from a long line of Android flagships dating back to the G1 in 2007.

nrvous1

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2019
San Antonio, TX
As promised, here are a few pictures of my nomad rugged case. It looks a lot darker in the pictures than it really is.

Attachments

• 4DED682D-C381-44EB-86AF-130CDBFD0477.jpeg
    4DED682D-C381-44EB-86AF-130CDBFD0477.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 475
  • 47697404-4C43-48A5-8B3A-696FAA9A535D.jpeg
    47697404-4C43-48A5-8B3A-696FAA9A535D.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 509
  • ECDE208E-806F-458A-AEE7-335E7B89B2E7.jpeg
    ECDE208E-806F-458A-AEE7-335E7B89B2E7.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 560

nrvous1

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2019
San Antonio, TX
My leather case obsession continues. While waiting for my bullstrap bourbon case to arrive I ordered a brown/tan Sena case and also came across this interesting looking case from saddleback leather.

https://saddlebackleather.com/leather-iphone-case

While not the prettiest it is definitely the most unique leather case I’ve seen and each one is handmade. The company is based in Dallas which is a few hours away from me as I also live in Texas. This a love it or hate it type of case and I personally really like the way it looks. I emailed Dave at saddleback and am waiting for more pictures of the case on an xr before I order one.

Here’s a link showing how each case is made which takes about 4-5 hours.

Reactions: CR4V3

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
My leather case obsession continues. While waiting for my bullstrap bourbon case to arrive I ordered a brown/tan Sena case and also came across this interesting looking case from saddleback leather.

https://saddlebackleather.com/leather-iphone-case

While not the prettiest it is definitely the most unique leather case I’ve seen and each one is handmade. The company is based in Dallas which is a few hours away from me as I also live in Texas. This a love it or hate it type of case and I personally really like the way it looks. I emailed Dave at saddleback and am waiting for more pictures of the case on an xr before I order one.

Here’s a link showing how each case is made which takes about 4-5 hours.
I have this case on my iPhone X and really like it. It’s definitely a more rugged case and thicker than the Apple leather case. It feels great in hand. I go back and forth between the Saddleback and Apple brown or black leather, if I’m in the mood for a more refined look.

Reactions: CR4V3 and nrvous1

nrvous1

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2019
San Antonio, TX
I have this case on my iPhone X and really like it. It’s definitely a more rugged case and thicker than the Apple leather case. It feels great in hand. I go back and forth between the Saddleback and Apple brown or black leather, if I’m in the mood for a more refined look.
Would you happen to have any pics of the case installed or side by side with the Apple leather case? I’m curious as to how much thicker the saddleback case is.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
16E79D7B-4B19-41AC-A498-A52466C9CEBF.jpeg
8B9AB446-FED0-4F35-BE25-3D6B843F9A5C.jpeg
C19D2E35-64AF-4540-B427-12DFF325C08C.jpeg
5846ED98-3C8B-49F6-A87D-E9F380D0041B.jpeg
Would you happen to have any pics of the case installed or side by side with the Apple leather case? I’m curious as to how much thicker the saddleback case is.
[doublepost=1564414952][/doublepost]
Another with the phone in it.

Last edited:

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
That looks awesome!!!! Such a unique looking case.
I do really like the Saddleback. Others on their Facebook page have complained about the buttons not working well. Mine actually are more tactile than the Apple cases with the metal buttons. But I also like both my Apple leather cases in black and saddle brown.

iFone88

macrumors 68020
Oct 5, 2018
Those saddleback cases look absolutely huge.

Probably in a minority here but, great craftsmanship, ugly as hell :D:rolleyes:

Greysider

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2019
Ohio
39C88558-1003-4C89-9FFD-60D058C354A6.jpeg
My xs max saddle brown daily driver after four months of considerable use and time in the sun. I actually got a compliment on it from an android loving co-worker a few days ago. Now she is looking for a leather case for her s10. I thanked her for the compliment, but had to tell her that leather is cool only for iPhone. :p:)

nrvous1

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2019
San Antonio, TX
Those saddleback cases look absolutely huge.

Probably in a minority here but, great craftsmanship, ugly as hell :D:rolleyes:
Lol, it definitely is an acquired taste.

Almost a week in with my nomad case and it’s already showing signs of use. It has a few pits and scuffs which I’m really enjoying.

s2k_esoj

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2019
Been thinking picking up a Midnight Blue leather case does anyone have any examples of the patina process with this one?

nrvous1

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2019
San Antonio, TX
Scratch the Sena case. I did a little more reading and it seems that the “leather” now used to make Sena cases maybe PU and not full grain. After searching and reading a few more reviews, I settled on ordering a Burkley full grain snap on back cover. The entire case is covered in full grain leather while leaving the buttons exposed. I have a similar case like this on my 6t which I do like how minimal it is. I opted for the burnished brown color as the antique golden brown is out of stock. I’ll post pics once it gets here.

My Bullstrap Senna case is no longer in my line up. I gave it to one of my tenant’s teenager who has an xr.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

iFone88

macrumors 68020
Oct 5, 2018
Been thinking picking up a Midnight Blue leather case does anyone have any examples of the patina process with this one?
Search the thread for ‘midnight blue’ and it’ll show all the posts with pics of it

I had it, the case looks great out the box and for a good couple of months, but once the corners and edges wear, they turn black. Which gives it a dirty, tired look rather than a patina.

Reactions: s2k_esoj

Arni99

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2011
Vienna, Austria
Here my 1 day old Taupe leather case with manually applied "character" ;)
Now it finally feels like Alcantara leather.
Used abrasive paper + tanning oil.
Looks grey and not as blueish as on this photo.
IMG_0055.JPG

Last edited:

ghosttrooper

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2017
Here my 1 day old Taupe leather case with manually applied "character" ;)
Now it finally feels like Alcantara leather.
Used abrasive paper + tanning oil.
Looks grey and not as blueish as on this photo.
View attachment 850947

Be carefull with tanning oil, the leather on these cases are so thin that oils tend to come back up or loosen the glue that holds the leather to the plastic shell. I tried the same thing with an old iPhone 7 leather case and it got really gross after a week.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.