Apple LIED about the lens cover being made out of Sapphire c

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by entraik, Sep 15, 2016.

1. macduke macrumors G4

macduke

Even accounting for that unlikely possibility, real sapphire is 9 and most gorilla glass is at least around 7 or higher which is quartz (with the latest version approaching sapphire). A 6 is pretty low. For comparison, common glass is around a 5.5 and tooth enamel is a 5. I'm not saying this test is accurate, but if it is, yay we're a step above tooth enamel and glass made in the 1800s. Seems rather incredulous so color me skeptical.

2. jetlitheone macrumors 6502a

Telephoto lens has OIS.

3. entraik thread starter Suspended

Like I said you can be biased all you want. (I mean I'm on a Apple fan site. I get it!). But at the end of the day I've been following jerry for a while now. He did a video for the note 7 and everyOne thought he was lying. Turned out he was 100% accurate and the note 7 had a hardness level of 4 for the glass.

4. skwood macrumors 6502a

skwood

Ok you're not going to get it - I'm not being biased, you (and he) aren't presenting a fair case. I'm out.

5. dwfaust macrumors 603

dwfaust

Sweet. Don't buy it. That frees one up for someone who does want one.

6. entraik thread starter Suspended

I'm presenting facts to you. You are in denial. It's really just that

7. benz240 macrumors regular

No, it doesn't...

8. jetlitheone macrumors 6502a

It does. I'm watching ifixits teardown.

9. entraik thread starter Suspended

Oh I bought it and I know it will be a pleasure to use. Apple gets props where due (dual camera, color gamut upgrade, new home button etc),but they lied about one thing and it's important that people know. I will use a case and screen protector. But for those that use no case, and put their phone on random surfaces... a scratched lens cover may be in your future.

10. benz240 macrumors regular

Unfortunately they didn't do anything to prove that, and just stated "two sets of optical image stabilizers." I believe they are misinformed. It's been widely noted in reviews that the telephoto lens, when selected, doesn't have OIS.

11. jetlitheone macrumors 6502a

Yeah I think you might be right... but they kind of know what they're talking about so who knows :/

12. benz240 macrumors regular

It's being debated in their comments...will be interesting to see who is right. But from the close up of the two camera assemblies, the wide angle definitely has what looks to be the OIS coils whereas i don't see anything for the telephoto:

https://d3nevzfk7ii3be.cloudfront.net/igi/B6HaR5iIJ4ayjiRU.huge

13. jetlitheone macrumors 6502a

Yeah I noticed that as well I was the first in the comments to say they're wrong lol

14. westcoastcyc macrumors regular

Probably would be wise for admin to lock this thread... Nothing to see here.

15. TheRealAlex macrumors 68000

What Else h
    what else have they lied about ?

16. dwfaust macrumors 603

dwfaust

You can't prove that they lied. Some schmuck says they did. Let's see what iFixIt says before heading to Cupertino with the torches and pitchforks.

17. benz240 macrumors regular

Hah I see, nice call dude

18. rawlus, Sep 15, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2016

rawlus macrumors 6502

K
    i didn't see any facts, I saw someone I don't know except to know he is not an expert in minerology, claim that the lens is not sapphire. This is a claim, it is not a fact.
    It may become a fact when more of these phones are out in the wild and more scientifically controlled tests can be done, but this guy makes his living off of social media views and being the first out the gate to tear things up and with his voiceover narrrative.
    Testing to see if it was sapphire would have been easy with the proper equipment, it instead he offers up a fallacial argument of if this then that...
    so to me, his report is unsubstantiated at this time... especially in light of facts that Apple has publicly stated the lens is sapphire for the last several models of phone.

Is it possible it is not sapphire? Of course.
    Does Jerry or anyone know with scientific certainty at this moment? No.

19. DADDYDC650 macrumors 6502

DADDYDC650

Pre order canceled!!!!!! Lord Jobs is rolling in his grave right now.

20. kerrikins macrumors 65816

I would advise caution on this until we have confirmation from more reliable sources. I find it extremely hard to believe that a company like Apple, that cares so much about their reputation, would list something on their website that proves to be completely false.

21. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

my wife thought I was watching some gorey LiveLeak video judging from my comments and moans.

22. Dmal99 macrumors 6502

This things have a way of being discovered, true OR false. Unless you are so upset you won't buy the phone, let it play out.

23. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I see many saying it's an anti reflective costing.

Ok. What the point of a scratchable costing in a nearly un scratchable lends cover? It seems to me having a sapphire lens cover is pointless in a scenario like this.

Not saying I'm inclined to believe this guy (though he did provide video proof), but I feel like s costing defeats the entire purpose of using the material in the first place.

24. dmx macrumors 6502a

This 100 percent. Apple wouldn't use scratch proof sapphire only to coat it with something that scratches easily - in that case, might as well just use glass!

I've never had an iPhone lens cover scratch - believe me, I have tried multiple times with old iPhones.

I'm hoping and expecting this to be somehow debunked, or at least evidence that the 7 is as strong as any previous iPhone.

25. jetlitheone macrumors 6502a

Not exactly. Sapphire isn't the best at glare resistance. And the coating wears off completely. Apple did the same thing with the stainless steel Apple Watch.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 15, 2016 ---
    Well they can and they have. The Sapphire on the Apple Watch has a coating that's weaker than sapphire on it.