Apple LIED about the lens cover being made out of Sapphire c

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by entraik, Sep 15, 2016.

1. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Not exactly... what? I don't really think you answered my question. I don't understand why you would use a material to keep scratches at bay (in this case sapphire) and costing it with a material much more readily scratched. Maybe I just don't understand. Which is why I ask.

2. dmx macrumors 6502a

Fair enough. I can understand that as it's meant to be touched. I'm really hoping they wouldn't add it to a camera lens, but perhaps they figured some people don't understand you need to wipe it off periodly with a shirt.. we'll see.

3. jetlitheone macrumors 6502a

Because a lens needs a coating for glare resistance and fingerprint resistance. Sapphire alone wouldn't be the best option. I'm just speculating but apple did it with the Watch too..

4. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I see. Seems like a waste to me. But what do I know? Lol.

5. Truefan31 macrumors 68040

Truefan31

Hmm that'd be a contradiction to previous reports.

6. Truefan31 macrumors 68040

Truefan31

Hmm maybe Apple can respond to this info then. I've never had a scratched camera lens or Touch ID but I'm not trying to start having one either.

7. IMEX1PCT macrumors member

IMEX1PCT

Two things:

1) Im not sure anyone cares about what youre 'fed up' with. Actually I am sure: No one cares.

2) If its not Sapphire, and Apple marketed the product as in fact having those components as Sapphire, it is bad for Apple, and they must be held accountable. Consumers trust your company, that does not mean take advantage of their trust by making them fools.

8. doboy macrumors 68020

I guess you haven't used a camera before. Lenses have coating on them to control flares, glares, etc.

9. MrBukey, Sep 16, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2016

MrBukey macrumors regular

This guy thought he found something and tried to share it - probably not completely benevolently (he wants hits on his videos, right) - but nevertheless, there was a "public" capacity to what he did....

That said, he can't say - categorically - that it's not sapphire, nor can anyone else, unless it's tested properly. Ideally you'd want to be getting a lab report if you're going to claim a huge multi-national company is lying..... Just, ya' know, to cover your own back.... Until it's proven though, it's just a claim - and it's likely that it is a misinterpreted claim.

A coating is the most likely explanation. "Why would they do this" people ask? Well, it's for different reasons - anti-reflection does a fundamentally different job to something that's providing scratch resistance. One of the two things would always have to be harder or softer than the other.

Ultimately which would you want to fail first - the coating (which could be removed, not be quite optimal - but still work), or a big dirty scratch that would require the whole lens to be replaced?

This said, if a razor blade can't damage either - then I'm happy. Others? That's their choice to make!

Just as on prescription eye glasses, many of us have both scratch resistance and anti-glare coatings added, it really is no different.

Remember folks.... Controversy = clicks = $$$ + fame.....

(It's not "something seems up with the lens, what could it possibly be - let's find out scientifically..." it's "Apple LIED!!!!!"....)

10. Benz63amg, Sep 16, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2016

Benz63amg macrumors 68030

Benz63amg

This stress test confirms that the lens glass on the iPhone 7 is not sapphire

11. MrBukey macrumors regular

No. It doesn't. It shows that the glass scratched - with what we're told is a tip of a certain hardness.

If it can be conceived that Apple may have lied/got something wrong... Surely it can be conceived that this guy may have used another tip? Not on purpose - maybe just a genuine mistake or human error. Or he might not have done - he may have used the tip he says he has.

It may be the coating that's scratched. It may be the actual lens that is scratched. The lens may or may not be sapphire...

But lets at least get confirmation from a lab report, eh? You know - science instead of pitchforks....?

12. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

Not only in this the video that OP was referencing in the first place, it's also posted in the second post in the thread.

13. jk4lebron23 macrumors 65816

jk4lebron23

Yeah but it's facts from a YouTube video, the camera typically has a coating over the lenses and I'm almost certain that's what the scratches were

14. cardfan macrumors 68000

Whatever the case, it's good to see tests like this as I don't exactly trust Apple that much these days. Anything that keeps them honest is good. This scrutiny is the price paid for being the most valuable brand in the world. But this is also why we don't see too much innovation that quickly because it takes time to get it right. I'm good with that.

15. jk4lebron23 macrumors 65816

jk4lebron23

Because so many people buy it just for the sapphire glass on the lense, McDonald's pictures looks nothing like what you get but people don't say anything and they keep making money and you'd probably be surprised at how many things you own that's supposed to be better than what it actually is for materials

16. rKunda macrumors 65816

rKunda

Indeed. High end watches and flashlights also use sapphire lenses with AR coatings. This hysteria is pretty comical.

17. iphone4life6901 macrumors member

Funny, Jerry Rigs didn't even make as big deal out of this as the people on this thread :D:D

18. ovo6 macrumors 6502a

Saw two drop test and the first thing that broke was the camera :eek:

19. TurboPGT! Suspended

Can you even imagine what goes through the minds of people who make threads like this? Frightens me, honestly.

20. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

If my watch that I paid 700 dollars for... isn't actual sapphire, im going to be a little pissed.

21. Setarip macrumors member

Coming from a background with watches that have sapphire crystals and cameras lenses with coatings...sapphire is not scratch proof, and coatings aren't either. If the lens is indeed coated (which would make sense), then the coating will easily be damaged by a test like this. No photographer in their right mind would even touch the surface of their lenses with their bare fingers, let alone try and scratch at it. Coatings are sensitive, and required for the best image quality possible in a camera system.

As far as the sapphire lens cover goes...who really gives a rip? Having owned many iPhones without them I have never had a lens cover get scratched before. Even my watches that have had mineral crystal versus sapphire have never scratched with *sensible* day to day use. Ultimately, if Apple says its sapphire, it's sapphire. If it turns out to not be sapphire, then they are accountable for false advertisement. Not a huge deal at all in my opinion (unless all of you complaining are going to pick at the lens with hard objects for kicks and giggles...to each his own I guess!).

22. P0stalTek macrumors 6502

P0stalTek

No you aren't. You are fear-mongering.

I suspect you aren't even in the market for an iPhone 7, but instead are a Samsung fanboy over from their forums after some iPhone user trolled you about Notes exploding.

Come clean. You are combative and trollish, and frankly "you go test it" when you are presenting someone else's findings as fact is the ultimate copout.

23. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

I really hope it's truly sapphire. I just broke the lens on my Note 7, and that was with VERY careful use so I have no idea how it happened. A big crack you can feel with a finger from one corner to the next. So for those of you who say why bother with sapphire if you can scratch the coating, I'd say it's for crack resistance.

24. jjlannoo Suspended

It was the anti-glare coating that was scratched.

25. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

Cost-cutting on the 7???

Anything to increase profit...Apple isn't any different than Samsung, etc. Maybe a tad better, but essentially the same.

It's all about dollars and cents, magnified by millions.