Apple LIED about the lens cover being made out of Sapphire c

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by entraik, Sep 15, 2016.

1. canyonblue737 macrumors 65816

yep, apple computer intentionally LIED!!!! (lol) about a tiny piece of sapphire so sell an iPhone you would buy anyway! that's how they got to be the biggest tech company on the planet! LIARS!!!!

(ps: its called sarcasm. if apple says it is sapphire, it is sapphire. if it scratches at a 6 whatever, it is still sapphire.)

2. azfalcons Suspended

azfalcons

i just hate when I leave my opened razor blade in my pocket..with my phone

3. kre62 macrumors 68020

So many have seen the video where the guy scratch tests the new iPhone 7. He uses metal of different hardness levels that seem to show that the lens cover on the camera and the home button are the same glass as the rest of the display. This is pretty huge since Aple claims these parts are sapphire crystal which should not scratch. (Vid: )

Well here is more evidence that we've been conned. In this drop test vs a 6S, the 6S camera lens ultimately survives in tact even though the rest of the phone is destroyed. When dropped from the exact same height, the 7's camera lens shatters just like regular smartphone glass:

I think Apple has some explaining to do on this cost cutting measure - especially since they are lying about the lens still being sapphire.

4. kre62 macrumors 68020

5. JohnApples macrumors 65816

Also, sapphire is actually more brittle than "regular" glass-it'll shatter easier. Shattering doesn't prove much but the scratching test is raising eyebrows.

6. Neebee macrumors 6502a

Hmm. This is baffling. Were there no tests done on previous versions of the iphone? When did the sapphire lens first appear?

7. Truefan31 macrumors 68040

Truefan31

Might be time for a response from Apple.

8. Geert76 macrumors 68000

response from Tim:

''it's an amazing new technology Apple is using this year, we tell all people its made of sapphire, but its actually not...only Apple can do this!"

9. Steve686 macrumors 68040

Steve686

Flat

10. Neebee macrumors 6502a

All Apple has to say is they made a mistake and blame their marketing team for not removing sapphire glass on the web site and spec sheet. Only a judge can decide what if any damages would be appropriate. Perhaps everyone get's an iTunes gift card right before the prices on iTunes go up? lol.

11. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

If it's sapphire, it's going to have a hardness of 9. It just is. Otherwise it's not sapphire.

On to the main point, I guarantee you that Apple didn't say the lens cover is made of sapphire and then try to slip in glass. Apple is not a bunch of stupid people. Also, one guy whipping out a few tools and scratching one phone does not a scientific study make. The most likely scenarios are
    If you don't know the difference between hardness and whatever you want to call resistance to cracking/shattering, stop posting about it. Hardness has zero to do with resisting cracks. Sapphire cracks easier than glass.

12. entraik thread starter Suspended

Ok well believe what you want. Truth is that this glass will scratch a lot easily than the 6s. Test it yourself if you're so confident. I trust j

Attached Files:

13. Steve686 macrumors 68040

Steve686

Cost difference of sapphire vs. glass for both modules put on an Apple gift card for each phone bought until they change.

If sapphire is actually not used.

14. 0000757 macrumors 68040

What I'm curious about is the fact that nobody has actually used a diamond tester to test if the glass is sapphire or not?

That would be both the easiest way and more accurate way than scratching it with random tools.

15. entraik thread starter Suspended

I Think the facts are there. Basically if you're still in denial or want to believe otherwise you're not being logical.

16. jerwin macrumors 68020

Sapphire has a hardness of 9. Quartz (a important constituent of sand) has a hardness of 7.

17. boygiant macrumors member

boygiant

"Sapphire lens definitely blended. Why did Apple lie to us?"

18. Taco1933 macrumors 6502

It's YouTube...

Don't expect it to be referenced in any professional journals.

19. entraik thread starter Suspended

Eh YouTube or not, I look at the credibility of the person. Just because foxnews is on tv, you trust everything they say? Lol

20. SteepJobs macrumors newbie

SteepJobs

SAY WHAT? An interesting video, but your commentary is totally misleading. The 6S fell to its death from ear height. Totally dead (and who gives a **** about the camera lens when the device is DEAD?). The 7 did not sustain any damage until the dude climbs a latter and drops it from 10 feet above the concrete. Even then, the only damage anywhere on the phone was a minimal crack to the camera lens. The camera still worked.

On the second drop from 10 feet (and the eighth serious drop on concrete from any height) the screen on the i7 breaks...but the phone continues to work.

I don't have an answer to what material is used for the lens, but what I got a message from Tim Cook this afternoon, loosely addressing some of my concerns:

Hi Restless Consumer, we appreciate your zest for destruction. However, all tests are null and void until you've correctly restored the new phone from iCloud backup, downloaded all of your purchased apps, and logged into all of your accounts. For even better scientific results, erase your 'old' phone and sell it on ebay before entering the laboratory. Yes, my favorite color is Bondi Beach, and I do buy Apple Care for my products even if I have never personally been so careless with my $1000 pocket computer (you know, I can't afford to waste half of my day pleading with service reps and worrying about whether a second iPhone this month is going to compete with my kids' tuition payment). Thanks for writing -tim

Better to ask yourself: is this a real hotdog or have I been 'conned' again into eating colorful piggy scraps?

Then admit it: you don't care, and you probably couldn't even taste a difference...

21. digitalcuriosity macrumors 6502

In the past i wonder just how many iPhone buyers have had their camera lens scratched?
    Myself have never heard or read of this iphone camera, lens scratching item happening.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 17, 2016 ---
    The first cell phone i owned and it was around 17 years ago, was this black phone in picture bought from Sprint has no Mfg. markings, used to stick in a shirt pocket and bet i had it fall out maybe 50 times before i wised up and quit sticking in my shirt pocket.
    Phone never had a cracked screen and it never stopped working, they just quit making a battery for it and the one i had was dead.
    Today i have a Apple iPhone6 and it's in a Thule tough case, and i don't put it any place it might be in harms way.
    My old and new Phones 70D 01112014.jpg.JPG

22. Kiimora macrumors 6502a

Kiimora

I simply don't want JR near my matte; the razor blade treatment is so mean:(

23. I7guy macrumors Core

I7guy

Or you can believe a random YouTube video as "proof" without a proper methodology. People in denial may not be exactly who you think.