Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

newipad.jpg

Apple has posted a new section on iTunes highlighting "Great Apps for the New iPad". The section lists many new Retina-enabled iPad apps that take advantage of the new iPad's high resolution screen.

The apps include games such as Flight Control Rocket, Sky Gamblers, Infinity Blade II. Also listed are Apps such as Tweetbot and Evernote.

The 3rd Generation iPad has already launched in some countries with the U.S. launch kicking off tomorrow. Wal-Mart will begin selling the new iPad at 12:01 AM local time while Apple Stores will open at 8:00 am.

Article Link: Apple Lists Retina-Enabled Apps for New iPad

its93rc

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
Texas
I can't at "the new iPad", but my the new iPad will appreciate the new iPad compatible apps tomorrow!

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Just been over there updated a few...Bought Sketchbook Pro, that's enough to keep me going until the good stuff begins to appear. With the ATV3 and the new iPad coming in a few hours, I will have plenty to play with.

It's going to take time for apps that take full advantage of the retina display to come out....I can';t even find a clear rear shell for m,y newbie in the UK.

The list isn't long, but it is useful.

ericinboston

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2008
32 apps. Hmm.

Yeah...I hear ya...I'm sure fanboys here will reply/scream "but it's not even released yet!!!!" but the fact is that more than 32 apps should be ready to go on Day 1. Out of the tens of thousands of apps (and yes, I know not all NEED to be retina-quality), we have a whopping 32. I was really expecting at LEAST 100 on launch day of iPad 3.0. This seems to be a recurring theme with Apple since Apple was born....release something new/cool/exciting and have almost nothing 3rd party ready to launch with it. :(

ppilone

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2008
Looks like my retina update didn't make the deadline. Bummer, I was really hoping to make the iPad launch.

someone28624

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2007
Buffalo
The Kindle app has been updated for the iPad's retina display, but obviously iTunes isn't going to feature that with iBooks and all. Just bought Flight Control Rocket. Loved the original and having a universal sequel for 99c is a great deal.

mattburley7

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2011
well none of my apps have been updated for retina display yet so those who think only 32 apps on launch day is not enough.. welcome to the club.

bettaboy123

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2010
Michigan
Techcrunch posted that Apple told them Facebook should be approved by tomorrow. No Facebook for me (Lent) but actually really surprised Facebook was this quick. They usually take forever. I'm hoping Twitter is retina in the coming days though.

Side Note: Just got glasses today and everything is wayy more clear, so I bet when I get my iPad tomorrow it will be like seeing for the first time. :D

Edit: Just saw that Twitter was updated for retina in a tweet. :D #YAY!! #Twitter4Life

Last edited:

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula

mattburley7

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2011
yeah just checked for updates and twitter and has been updated for retina display :) give me facebook and weather channel and im good to go for now.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
This seems to be a recurring theme with Apple since Apple was born....release something new/cool/exciting and have almost nothing 3rd party ready to launch with it. :(

Yeah, and the XBox 360, the Playstation 3, Wii all had lots of 3rd party apps at the launch. Oh, it's JUST Apple. I see.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
That link is misleading - it leads to a "download Itunes" link, not to a page about "The new Ipad" apps.

Your browser must not think iTunes is installed. It loads the appropriate page for everyone else.

arn

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.