Apple Loses Fourth Place to Xiaomi in Booming China Smartphone Market

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 18, 2017.

1. GrumpyMom macrumors 604

GrumpyMom

As a former owner of a Note 7 I may just decide to become superstitious. Though I do like my iPhone 7.

I checked out a Huawei Mate 9 last night. Overall it was a very nice phone but you do sacrifice quite a bit on camera quality (despite the Leica name) when you go down to that price level from the Samsung and IPhone stratosphere. What I don't know is what the phones they reserve for the Asian and European markets are like. Those have way better specs than the phones they sell here.

The best bang for my buck I ever had so far was the HTC 10 for $525. That phone compares well to my more expensive Samsungs and IPhone 7 Plus. That phone is made in Taiwan, I believe.

2. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I'm sure there may be some truth to that but I don't think it's as big of a deal as some may suggest. You're absolutely right that numbers like the #4 is not well-taken by the Chinese community/population but the same type of people who don't like the number 4 on their license plates are still out buying cars like a BMW 4-Series or Audi A4 yet it hasn't stopped sales of those cars, for example, to slow down.

My point is, while the number may be frowned upon with the Chinese, it's not applicable on all consumer goods. I can see not wanting "4"s on something personal like a license plate but when it comes to the actual good (phones, cars), I don't think it matters that much - people will buy regardless.

3. bobajoul macrumors member

Who cares, and how profitable is Xiaomi? Apple laughs all the way to the bank.

4. macintoshi macrumors 6502

macintoshi

Well thats theyr way of believing, i hope that number judges them, for its unluck to them, cause they are beeing evil...

5. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

Even though it is nice to have security its not the main reason I choose IOS.
    I choose iOS because of ease if use, facetime and imessage,

The days of getting skype working with my parents are gone, they just click facetime and they see my daughter.

6. getbretweir macrumors member

Yup. And you don't even have to go to China to get em. Take the One+ for example ... If Apple used the exact same hardware they'd charge $900+ easy

7. SomaliPride, Feb 18, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2017

SomaliPride macrumors newbie

SomaliPride

China imposes heavy tariff on foreign companies to help their companies. iPhone 7 base price is currently around $1000 in china. With that price tag Apple has little chance to compete in China's unfair market. Samsung and other foreign companies are facing the same problem.

Europeans and American are too stupid. They let Chinese import products with little to no tariff, but can't sell anything in China at reasonable price.

8. BoltmanLives, Feb 18, 2017

BoltmanLives Suspended

BoltmanLives

2009: China rich "iPhone is here" YEA! Buy BUY BUY

Today: Meh
    --- Post Merged, Feb 18, 2017 ---
    If so thats sad..that is the way Microsoft used to think, how many windows seats sold.
    They got better, now its about customer delight quotient with products they can uniquely deliver.

"We will be insatiable in our desire to learn from the outside and bring that knowledge into Microsoft, while still innovating to surprise and delight our users." -Satya Nadella

"MAU-Monthly Active Users is the health metric of any service" -Phil Spencer

----

This is NOT the way Apl thinks...in Apl its all about margins and what margin to hit the #, that's ok when you have desirable products...that seems to be a fleeting endeavor though recently as that requires new/hot...like Spencer's Gifts

9. macTW Suspended

Apple doesn't mind this. They target the top end of markets, while other Chinese brands target various levels and tiers beneath them.

10. BoltmanLives, Feb 18, 2017

BoltmanLives Suspended

BoltmanLives

Nah that's a Lumia or X3, iPhone is for those that think its the best phone. What gate? this year #ChipGate ..that's bad design and/or materials

The reality: today is iPhone is about the only phone that works with all the Apple Devices and media collections you collected over the past decade or so, "moving on" is daunting . For that convenience some pay top dollar. At-risk Apl users created daily, like in China many are over the top dollar part of it, they did not collect as much proprietary media and devices either.Top dollar for "convenience" sake ....does not fly ,especially when new and amazing tech is whizzing by.

MOST will decide renting an apl iphone like a house or car is NOT a great idea, some are ok hence apl users on the monthly iPhone for life plan. Reminds me of TIMESHARES. My phone was "paid off" day 1, a great deal.

Keep in mind a family of 4 is FOUR rentals...ouch, worse than a car lease or a mortgage payment where all share in the cost.

11. HJM.NL macrumors 68020

HJM.NL

Define best... it's quite obvious that Chinese people are not paying for an Apple logo only. Huawei is selling well built smartphones with technology comparing to apple's latest and greatest. All of that for a price considerably less than Apple. Huawei phones are number one in the Netherlands too now. If Apple wasn't that eager on profits and get its focus back on delivering the best money can buy I would get my love back to the company I used to like. Apple used to be a front runner in technology. Something that justified higher prices. Today their products are stalling (hard-and software). Consumers are taking notice and an iPhone 8 will already get beaten by other vendors months before it will see the light of day. Only a fool will pay $ 1000 or more if you can have the same or better for far less.
    Huawei is taking on Apple in the Netherlands too by offering the same the iPhone 7 plus has to offer for half the price. You say huawei doesn't target the top? :rolleyes:

12. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Debatable. But they might realize its silly to pay a lot money for the most secure consumer phone when you live in a country where privacy doesn't exist.
    Reminds me of the de-badged Chevy Malibu ads where "customers" think it's a BMW or Audi with it's sleek styling and array of amenities. Either they were paid off to say that, i.e., actors, or they don't really understand what makes a BMW or Audi a BMW or Audi and those cars are not in their market in the first place -- Chevy Malibu is.

13. bladerunner2000 macrumors 68020

bladerunner2000

Considering the iPhone 7 didn't live up to expectations, it won't be surprising if the 8 also sucks.

14. BoltmanLives Suspended

BoltmanLives

Most secure consumer phone is NOT from Apl:

Windows Phone Is the Most Secure Mobile Platform
    http://mobilityarena.com/windows-phone-is-the-hardest-os-to-crack-white-hat-hacker/
    Windows Phone picks up all nine FIPS 140-2 certifications, clears path for government customers
    http://www.windowscentral.com/windowsphone-gets-all-nine-fips-140-2-certs

IT should be as it runs...WINDOWS 10 Mobile and not some shoddy mobile OS

15. Ramius macrumors 6502

The downfall begins. Especially as these amazing chinese brands have learned to make smart phones that looks and performs like an iPhone for 1/3rd of the price.

Seriously considered buying the Oppo F1S when I was in Thailand last year. Theres virtually no reason for people in this market to pay three times more for the iPhone. Based on what they are looking for, what they need, and normal peoples economy, the iPhone is just stupidly expensive without any justifications for the high price.

16. Bart Kela, Feb 18, 2017

Bart Kela Suspended

Bart Kela

For some, no iPhone will ever live up to expectations because those people have unrealistic ones.
    Ahahahahahahaha!!!

The Mobility Arena article is over a year old.

The Windows Central article is over three years old.

Time doesn't stand still. Operating systems change, new vulnerabilities are discovered.

Apple releases a new one every with multiple minor updates, and some bug release updates as well. You cannot assess the security of today's consumer phone models with 3+ year old analyses.

17. DevNull0 macrumors 68020

And yet Timmy wants to kiss the ass of the Chinese market while giving a huge middle finger the the Americans. He figures he's got the American market locked up no matter what he does so he's free to pursue everything else.

18. antonis macrumors 68020

antonis

In contrast with what ? US ?

19. 69Mustang macrumors 604

69Mustang

Source? I ask because every data point I've observed says Apple is down in China. That data includes Apple's own financial reporting.

What exactly is BS in the article?

20. macTW Suspended

Until they refine their software, no they do not. Smashing specs into a device for paper impressiveness isn't shooting for the top.

21. TechGeek76 Suspended

If it doesn't fit their narrative of what Apple should be, it's BS, didn't you know?

22. Tycho24 Suspended

Tycho24

The 1600's called (err, I mean.... sent a parchment), they want their baseless ignorant superstitions that almost nobody makes real world decisions over back.

23. pat500000 Suspended

pat500000

Subjective, isn't it?

24. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

Not surprised. Chinese phone company doing well in own home country, playing well with Chinese government support/subsidies, and has the benefit of Chinese laws/courts. No brainer.

25. TheShadowKnows! macrumors 6502a

TheShadowKnows!

You would make Schiller proud. Take a deep breath, because it is just a fooking [phone, communicator, music player] and nowhere near $1,000 retail, unless it is your only computer.