Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
I smell a rat...a fAndroid in disguise. :D

And I see tons of iFanboys here as well.

Geeez speak anything against iOS and boom the fanboys come out in drones (or vice-verse for Android on Android forums).

iFanboys and Fandroids are the worst. :rolleyes:

CrzyP

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2012
I totally agree with the contacts. I hate how Facebook added so much crap to my contacts. It is overboard! All I wanted from facebook integration was for it to update contact pictures. I do not need a Facebook email, IM and duplicate addresses on my contacts. It really sucks.

CatsTide

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2012
I have been playing around with iOS 6 and I am hugely disappointed.

Apple Maps - it's so bad, it's so bad.

Contacts - too cluttered. You have fields for Facebook profiles, Facebook chat, Facebook e-mail address, Facebook profile link, regular e-mail address.. There is also buttons for added accounts. "Name in iCloud" "Name in Facebook". Just if you forgot where where you added the contact?!

Colored status bar - sometimes black, sometimes colored. Ugh??!

Dial buttons - if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

= how did they end up here when they tossed ideas around? Did they scrapped the idea of a wifi-bluetooth toogle for a colored status bar? It is obvious that they focused too hard on Facebook intergration. Was the new map solution included in the last second? Just not ready for prime time.

Siri vs Google voice search = Google dominates.

Apple Maps vs Google Maps = Apple isn't even in the game.

Hardware design = Users love curved backs on mobiles. The iphone 4, 4S just feelt odd. I stuck with iPhone because of the software. I thought I would never say this but I will sell my iPhone 4S and get a Galaxy Nexus. I will miss the camera but Google is just better in search and mapping.
my buddy has one to sell. He's getting his i5 Friday. PM me if you're interested in buying his.

eagandale4114

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2011
I totally agree with the contacts. I hate how Facebook added so much crap to my contacts. It is overboard! All I wanted from facebook integration was for it to update contact pictures. I do not need a Facebook email, IM and duplicate addresses on my contacts. It really sucks.

Go to settings>facebook and disable contacts. It will revert your contacts to pre-iOS 6 + FB integration. If you want the profile picture stuff press update all contacts. That gives you the profile pictures in your contacts.

Huge125

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2011
Charlotte, NC
As always a new iOS will take a while to get use to. Typing on my iPad2 and my once zippy device is taking forever to register keys. Maybe a restart is order after this post...

App Store looks cluttered. Probably redesigned to show more apps. And it does that's for sure.

Don't care about maps on the iPad but the clocks is kind of crappy too. Expected more like weather and a local clock with changeable faces instead of world clocks.

Not saying the whole thing is bad, but wish I'd of waited. Is there anyway to go back to 5.1 if I need to?

chiefpavvy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2008
It should be noted that humans hate change. As some one else pointed out, there were hundreds of similar threads for EVERY SINGLE iOS RELEASE. It happens every single time. People do not like to change their routine or method of doing something. We're naturally resistant to it.

Candlelight

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
New Zealand
I'm no fan boy by any stretch but I personally can't see much of a change between iOS 5 and iOS 6. Sure there are cosmetic changes but I hardly use Maps and stuff like Siri and Panorama don't work on my iPhone 4 anyway.

Business as usual really.

Only thing I've noticed is my battery is draining faster than it did under iOS 5.

scottytwo

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2012
I'm no fan boy by any stretch but I personally can't see much of a change between iOS 5 and iOS 6. Sure there are cosmetic changes but I hardly use Maps and stuff like Siri and Panorama don't work on my iPhone 4 anyway.

Business as usual really.

Only thing I've noticed is my battery is draining faster than it did under iOS 5.

Re battery make sure you do the customary full discharge/ charge after having a bit of a muck about. Hard resets don't hurt. Lastly make sure your apps are generally updated, generally battery drain comes down to software hiccups

Candlelight

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
New Zealand
Re battery make sure you do the customary full discharge/ charge after having a bit of a muck about. Hard resets don't hurt. Lastly make sure your apps are generally updated, generally battery drain comes down to software hiccups

I usually download new versions of apps within a couple of days of them appearing (that red notification indicator is so annoying :p).

Will try a full discharge recharge and see what happens.

moosquared

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2010
Hardware design = Users love curved backs on mobiles. The iphone 4, 4S just feelt odd. I stuck with iPhone because of the software. I thought I would never say this but I will sell my iPhone 4S and get a Galaxy Nexus. I will miss the camera but Google is just better in search and mapping.

Personally, I don't like the curved design. Sure, when 3G and 3GS first came out it was really cool, but after seeing the 4/4S... :eek: I love the smooth glass square design. It's sleek. And when i5 finally makes its entrance in my country, I will upgrade to that.

I'm not too hung up with specs. I don't need to do all the wild things that androids phones can do and apple can't. I'm just a regular phone user. iPhone specs suits my needs and I absolutely love the design. So it's iPhone for me.

I hope you find what you're looking for in other phones. :cool:

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
Theres stale and underwhelmed, and then there is iOS6 where functionality is actually worse than before in some very important cases.

Things like passbook are currently underwhelming, but they are new features so this can be expected. However, as seen by the other huge thread apple maps is much, much less functional than its predecessor despite maps being one of the core functions of any smart phone.

I think it will be a tad harder for this reaction to wear off, at least until google releases a stand alone map app and we can all try and pretend like apple never wandered into the dark forest of navigation.

That's what I thought when I started using the first beta. And I use Maps all the time -- including Street View. Yes it still needs improvement but most people's reactions will calm down (imo).

OzyOly

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2009
Might as well the 920. Anyway, they have some nice features but they no apps! Devs basically only write programs for iOS & Android! You will be running back when you discover your fav apps don't exist on the Windows OS

It is a problem to be sure. But I only use Facebook, Twitter, National Rail, BBC iPlayer and Maps these days. Hopefully in time they'll be about.

Trager

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2010
It should be noted that humans hate change. As some one else pointed out, there were hundreds of similar threads for EVERY SINGLE iOS RELEASE. It happens every single time. People do not like to change their routine or method of doing something. We're naturally resistant to it.

Actually, the preponderance of early adopters and immediate upgraders in this forum would argue against your "humans hate change" argument. While there were some changes in OS 5 that I thought were a bad idea (and still are... the Music app on the iPad is still awful, and the Contacts app is still hard to use and ugly to look at), the OS itself offered some significant advantages that caused me and most of my friends to upgrade quickly. OS 6 offers no real advantages, and in fact manages to break some rather important core functions. Mapping isn't a little thing -- it's one of the most used functions on my iPhone. And the lack of control over caching and downloading for iTunes Match makes it hard for me to trust Match for the times when I'm offline. At this point, if Google Play supported rating and smart playlists the way that iTunes does, I'd be really tempted to switch to Android.

(side note: I HATE most Android phones, and I hate the idea that bigger screens are better, and I do not sync everything through Google apps. However, considering Apple continues to have really awful calendar and contact management functions, and the new iOS makes iTunes Match a lot less useful, and the lack of forethought needed to wreck something as useful as Maps, I have to start thinking that it's time to look for an alternative that just, you know, works.)

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011
You can disable the Facebook stuff in Settings.

Loyal customer? Not hardly.

SprSynJn

Sep 15, 2011
Japan
If you think you're going to find a better design in Android based off those arguments, you're going to be heavily disappointed.

Trager

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2010
If you think you're going to find a better design in Android based off those arguments, you're going to be heavily disappointed.

Are you talking to me? Because Pimlical (the offshoot of the Palm OS product Datebk6) is available on Android, and it is a calendar product that is about as far ahead of iCal as the original iPhone was ahead of a Motorola StarTac.

SinkOrSwim

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2012
California
Some dude definitely don't know the real meaning of loyalty. If you can only hang through the good times and dissapear in the bad times, you are definitely far from being loyal.

joshmacbosh

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2009
I miss the time, way back in 2007 when not a single retard owned an iPhone and everyone was just super happy at this advancement in mobile phones. Then sadly people found out about what was going on, they jumped on the bandwagon and its been all downhill since the 3G. I for one am just happy with every iOS update and every iPhone refresh, but that's me a loyal customer.

jollyreaper

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2011
I miss the time, way back in 2007 when not a single retard owned an iPhone and everyone was just super happy at this advancement in mobile phones. Then sadly people found out about what was going on, they jumped on the bandwagon and its been all downhill since the 3G. I for one am just happy with every iOS update and every iPhone refresh, but that's me a loyal customer.

Excellent satire. 10/10.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.