Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

namethisfile

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2008
Can someone help me and explain why there are so many people begging for a 12" Air? I don't understand the need. If 11" is too small then 13" is really too big for this many people? And the other way around too?
Thanks!

i think they're secretly hoping that this 12" Air will be like the 12" powerbook of yore. so basically, a macbook air with macbook pro specs; specifically iris pro igpu like the base 15" rmbp model.

i think this is why there is so much interest with it b/c u r right. a 13" air won't be that much bigger than whatever size the 12" air will be. and if it's too big, there is an 11" air.

i also think ppl are interested in it for the price. basically hoping it's like the $2000 base 15"rMP in terms of specs but a lot less since it's in 12" form.

or maybe it's just me having all these secret wishes?

MMANN113

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2014
California USA
i think they're secretly hoping that this 12" Air will be like the 12" powerbook of yore. so basically, a macbook air with macbook pro specs; specifically iris pro igpu like the base 15" rmbp model.

i think this is why there is so much interest with it b/c u r right. a 13" air won't be that much bigger than whatever size the 12" air will be. and if it's too big, there is an 11" air.

i also think ppl are interested in it for the price. basically hoping it's like the $2000 base 15"rMP in terms of specs but a lot less since it's in 12" form.

or maybe it's just me having all these secret wishes?

Thanks, this is helpful. However i personally think it's unlikely that they will provide any significantly higher specs on the Air line because that is supposed to be the "lower end" notebook line. I think if you want better specs they just push you to the Pro. i was considering the Air at first, but just couldn't justify the specs at $1000, so i went for the Pro. But hey, maybe that's the purpose of upgrading it like you say. :p

sir1963nz

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2012
Intel should look at history

When IBM/Motorola became a problem child with getting newer lower power processors out on time, Apple switched to Intel.

If Intel becomes a problem..... AMD, or ARM ?

My guess is ARM, Apple has a LOT of design experience in house.

Maybe the "i" line will be the ARM based laptops, and the MacBook the intel ones.

pearvsapple

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2012
Apple won't downgrade to ARM processors. Too slow and literally zero AAA software written for it. This is why we have iOS and Android. Low-end apps with millions of shovelwares--fitting for such slow hardware.

elvisimprsntr

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2013
Florida
And the 21.5 inch iMacs as well.

It will work to Apple's advantage. There is already a multi-CPU target development tool chain in place along with applications and libraries which support different CPUs using a scheme which is transparent to the end user. Apple will send less money to Intel, Apple will have more control over its hardware, and any lessened performance will go unnoticed by most users. Apple also stands to gain by selling or renting different versions of the same application for different CPUs at whatever prices the market might bear.

If Apple can make any substantial performance improvements with its ARM SoC series, the Apple can keep these for itself and not have to share the same model CPU with competitors. And as in the past, Apple will use the switch to a different CPU series as a means of encouraging hardware replacements, a big revenue source. Those with a substantial investment in the Apple ecosystem who are unhappy with an ARM CPU in the lesser machines will be motivated to buy a Mac Pro, so Apple wins again.

It's a given that Apple can easily recompile Mac OS X for ARM. The same kernel source already runs on ARM as iOS. Apple already gives all it's home grown productivity and creativity apps away, and could easily recompile them for ARM, not to mention its own documents in the cloud thru Safari. Hardware prices will be more affordable/profitable, have lower battery demands further reducing weight and cost, thus appeal to more consumers and educational institutions. You did read recently the FCC wants to help broaden the adoption of WiFi in schools? Think of the long lasting impression Apple has on young developing students, who take their demands back home to their parents, who also become parents themselves some day. Apple generates brand loyalty like no other, except perhaps in the automotive industry.

Apple products, while you may pay an initial premium for, are made of higher quality, which help lengthen their usable service life well beyond the original purchasers use. This allows more Apple devices to be passed on from parents to students, or to younger siblings, which only increases brand loyalty. Thus it is in Apples long-term sustainable interest to continue to offer free OS and app updates on as many older generation devices as technically possible to maintain their loyal customer and developer base. Apple also has the advantage of controlling prices. They set their prices at a level to maximize the revenue over the product cycle, i.e. maximizing the area under the curve. This does three things. One, it removes consumer purchase hesitation. Two, helps maintain higher resale/trade-in value of last years model, helping fuel consumer repurchase. Three, it maintains new product price levels. A stark contrast to the disposable electronics and computers offered by other companies.

Last edited:

motrek

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
And the 21.5 inch iMacs as well.

It will work to Apple's advantage. There is already a multi-CPU target development tool chain in place along with applications and libraries which support different CPUs using a scheme which is transparent to the end user.

Won't happen for a while at least. The performance just isn't there at this point. I am just as impressed as anybody else with what Apple has managed to accomplish with the A8, and it's a miracle of technology that my iPhone 5S is slightly faster than my 2010 MacBook Air (1.4GHz Core 2 Duo) but the Haswells in modern computers are SOOOOOoooooo much faster than that.

I would not pay good money for a new computer that's only marginally faster than my 2010 laptop which arguably had an outdated CPU when it was released. I still use it for useful work but it's not the best experience.

motrek

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
Rumors have also suggested the 12-inch MacBook will have a redesigned ultrathin chassis with a revamped trackpad design that doesn't incorporate a mechanical button as well as no fan assembly for quieter operation.

Wonder why nobody has keyed in on this yet. Passive cooling. Kinda invalidates the entire rumor. The only Broadwell Apple would consider putting in a MacBook still has a TDP of 15W, same as the current Haswell TDPs. And those get HOT under load. And that's WITH a fan.

There is no way we will see a passively cooled MacBook in the near future. To think we might is ridiculous. Might as well throw the rest of this rumor straight into the trash.

sdz

macrumors 65816
May 28, 2014
Europe/Germany
Lte / umts

Please give it a SIM Slot. I want 3G/LTE Connectivity with such a portable device. :confused:

And no, I don't want an iPad.

koban4max

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2011
this is so not like apple... who said intel dictates apple direction....
It should of have been apple telling intel to hurry the hell up.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
I still think they can announce them in October and customers can preorder from November. Not a big deal because i don't think Apple will make another event just for the MacBooks

Doolbr

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2013
I'm more interested in bringing back the 17" macbook pro, preferably with retina screen, +/- same components as 15" models (but upon purchasing upgradeable to a real horsepower) and maybe with better graphics card for the bigger screen that won't significantly affect battery lifetime because the 17" has the extra space for more battery capacity.

Mackan

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
Need a true edge-to-edge screen on this. Gone with those bezels. I know they can do it. They are just too afraid to make the Air too attractive compared to an iPad...

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
I would like to see 15" MacBook retina.

Yes... Bring in a 15' Retina... :apple:

Bezels are kind of looking out-dates now...

With our new products we have, some have less bezels than others in our "Mac collection"

time to shave a few more inches of the turn pike...

TakeAByte

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2014
Does this mean that the next batch of 13 inch Retina Mac Book Pro's will run broad well at some time? Also they need to make a 14 inch Mac Book, I had a lenovo that was had a 14 inch display it was the perfect size.

kenroberts83

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2012
I wouldn't go that far. Samsung and IBM are both quite talented. IBM designs and fabricates much higher clock speed processors than Intel, for example -- as high as 5.5 GHz currently. /QUOTE]

You should know that processor clock speeds are a very poor indicator of actual performance these days. Intel processors frequently have lower clock rates than competing AMD processors, yet blow them out of the water in benchmarks. Wish I could adequately explain why, perhaps some other member can.

In any case, I certainly wouldn't want to see MBP's leave the intel family. In terms of performance, it would absolutely be a downgrade. Although you could make a strong argument for an ARM-based Air to compete with Chromebooks on the low-end, which have been outselling Apple laptops 5:1 lately.

On a side note, I think those of you hoping for 15" MBP performance on the 12" Air are kidding yourselves.

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
Apple May Push Back Launch of Rumored 12-inch Retina MacBook Due to Broadwell...

Is there anything that apple is planning for release this year that hasn't had a rumored delay. I wonder how this hold up with Tim and cue's statement that 2014 is the best product lineup ever. If the air is delayed to 2015, the iwatch is delayed the 5,5" iPhone is delayed and all other machines as well due to broadwell, then what is apple actually releasing this year??

Last edited:

EwanMcTeagle

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2012
Lodz, Poland
I easily see the Air and Mini switching to ARM.

I have to disagree. I can see it happen, but I think it would be pointless, messy and bad business.
First of all, Apple has iPads for those not needing a computer's power - there are lots of accessories and keyboards for them and I've seen quite a lot people using iPads with bluetooth keyboards. Those not needing a laptop would stay with the iPad, those needing both would go with OSX Macbook, cause what's the point in having two low power gadgets...
Also selling ARM and Intel MacBooks would be very confusing for customers - ARM MacBooks wouldn't run OSX. If they would run iOS than the iOS would have to be redesigned to work with touch and trackpad. Therefore it wouldn't be iOS per se. Same goes for OSX - it would have to be some other version of OSX adapted for the new architecture. Putting all the software/compatibility issues aside, that would be horribly confusing and would result in a messy Samsung like portfolio. That's not very Apple:)

As for the 12" Macbook Air - I don't see that coming. Having 12 and 13" laptops, both with retina screens would be good differentiation. Customer needs crystal clear variants.
I think Apple could and should make an 11" Retina Macbook and have:
• 7" iPad Mini (Retina)
• 9.7" iPad Air (Retina) - I hope they will come up with some logical iPad naming... iPad, the new iPad... iPad Air... Seriously? Even I got confused at one point:)
--------------------------------------------
• 11" Macbook (Retina)
• 13" Macbook (Retina)
• 15" Macbook (Retina)

Whether they're called "Pro", "Air" or just "Macbook" is a lesser issue, because this way Apple has a clean-cut portfolio that's easy to navigate for customers - it's a fairly easy decision which Mac to buy:
• light Macbook with longer battery life for simple tasks
• "normal"/standard computing power, but still very portable 13" for more advanced tasks when you don't need superb graphics
• 15" top of the line beast that can handle almost anything you throw at it for real professionals and rich people:)

Apart from that (it's probably the customer in me talking now), they should up the storage on those higher end models:
• 11" with 128GB standard
• 13" with 256GB standard
• 15" with 512GB standard - I mean, you're paying a ********* of money for that computer. It's a premium, top of the line machine and they wanna be cheap with storage? Same goes for Mac Pro - $4000 higher end model with 256GB? Are they serious?
So that way they have multiple differentiating factors for each machine among which the screen size, processors and storage are the most eye-catching, thus directing the customer towards one of the models.

Anyway, that's how I would see it.

yellowtruck

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2013
So to end the confusion, there are two separate stories going around at the same time. One, all broadwell's are delayed. Two, Some broadwell's have shipped.

Here is a link from Intel that broadwell has shipped but they make no mention which tier are getting shipped. The below link is str8 from Intel on Wednesday, 3 days ago.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2454...ell-but-next-gen-skylake-chip-could-slip.html

There are other stories they say the K series is what's actually delayed. This is the high end of the broadwell.

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
Maybe it's finally time to merge the laptops into one line since the retina screen is the main differentiator at the moment.

No it's not - the air is designed to be thin and light and the pro is designed to be powerful.

The air can get away with being less poweful and the pro can get away with being a bit thicker/heavier.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.