Apple Misleading Mbp Pictures!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by SchneiderMan, Jul 4, 2008.

1. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

As you know almost all of the mbp's have warped screen, and i call it defective or really poor build quality.

But on apple posts a picture of the front of a closed macbook pro without any gap, just like it should be! take a look: http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/
    This should not be on a $2,000+ laptop, even a $500 laptop is perfectly built.

This makes me really mad and i dont think i would buy my mbp untill apple fixes this asap!

I say if you guys dont feel good about having this problem then try to show those jerks at the apple store this and demand a new and normal mbp just like apple shows you when you go and buy one.

Attached Files:

2. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

I wouldn't hold your breath then as there been like it since release

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

My MBP looks exactly like the pics on Apple's site. I have no warps or defects of any kind.

4. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

the fact that your holding it upside down and pushing your thumb on the screen wouldn't be helping it at all.

5. SchneiderMan thread starter macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

first of all its not my pic.. you want one that just sits on a table? :rolleyes: ok

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and i went to the store, all the mbp's are like this!

6. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

well then why post it if its not yours??

apple is allowed to advertise like that, everyone else does!! cant blame them. its probably a CGI and whatnot, not as many people would buy it if they saw it like that in ads and TV im sure.

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Well....yeah. I didn't think it was an irrational request. :confused:

8. nastebu macrumors 6502

and the winner of the "most whiny and pointless thread" category is...

9. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

*clears throat*

OH NOES THE EDGES ARE HIGHER THAN THE MIDDLES! OMGWTFBBQ!!!111 HOW COULD I USE SYSTEM WITH HIGHER EDGES!

(Apologies for the caps)

I don't get the problem. It's not grossly bent out of shape and it makes no change to the functionality of the system.

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If that's the worst complaint they have to deal with, I'd say Apple is doing pretty good! I'd rather deal with a microscopic variation in lines than slow performance, viruses, and everything else that goes with PCs! nit-pickers! And it's not like every MBP looks like that! I'm sure most are perfect, like mine is!

11. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

I think you may be over-exaggerating the problem just a little bit. I won't say the MBPs never have problems or anything, but I've never seen an MBP with gaps like that, and certainly not that bad. My Macbook didn't have anything, either, until I dropped it, and even after, the gap is almost un-noticable unless you're looking. I wouldn't call the pictures misleading, as it's simply marketing, the same way every company does, and I wouldn't say my Macbook was any worse compared to the pictures as my Inspiron was (Much worse, actually).

12. SchneiderMan thread starter macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

unlike everyone else, apple does not put a small print saying "actual picture may vary" under the photo

edit: i understand where you guys come from, you owning macbooks and me paranoid about buying one for a good amount of $ and wanting it to be really awesome and perfect (like all the apple products)

its weird, i didnt even think before buying my hp/vista laptop like now lol

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Oh! Well! Since you put it THAT way...! Let's call the "actual picture may vary" police! This is too ridiculous! End of thread (I hope!)

14. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

[​IMG]

Where?

Attached Files:

15. SchneiderMan thread starter macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

ziggy, lol you got me :eek:
    yeah im just going crazy about all this waiting for updates and really wanting the mbp :(

16. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

Have you EVER had a Big Mac that looks like the poster behind the counter?

17. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

It's quite all right. Macbook Pros are not Gods and it doesn't really make a difference to me if you're unsatisfied and refuse to buy them. I'm just curious why you want one so bad if you're so upset at the perceived build quality?

18. SchneiderMan thread starter macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

because i wanted one even before i knew about this problem

j26- yes i did, not every time but yeah..

19. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

ah well you can care about your <2mm offset i will just chill with mine. i hardly ever notice anyway because it spents 95% of the time open.

20. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

there should be a small gap, otherwise wouldn't the friction be damaging over time? Anyways, you probably will never find a perfect one. Apple has problems with their QC but few people will admit it. As long as the gap isn't large enough to allow stuff to get in, I would quit worrying.

21. jonnos macrumors regular

if it works and does everything you want then dont complain? you could get urself a dud screen if it might get replaced?
    mine is like that too on both sides. i got the best?/decent panel also so im not complaining. im just happy it does everything i want it to do and have had no problems and no dead pixels.

22. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

You're quite right. You will never find a perfect ANY laptop, because, well, they don't exist. I don't think there's any real evidence which says Apple's quality control is worse than other computer manufacturers overall. I could be wrong, and if I am, please point it out to me. Inspirons and other laptops also have gaps when shut, and by any pragmatic standard, I think the built quality of the MBP is just as perfect as any other similar laptop.

23. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

You're right - I have no proof - I could be wrong. But I've owned so many computers and I've never had as many out-of-the-box defects as I have with Apple. I had to return my iMac 5 times, a MacBook 5 times, etc. all for really serious problems (not just a bad pixel...I'm talking bad super drive, vibrating, kernel panic, etc.). I've been through a ridiculous # of iPod touches also before getting one with a decent screen. Yeah, I admit to being picky, but if there wasn't really a problem with any of this stuff why would I return it so many times haha. Why shouldn't Mac users be picky about things like the lid not being flush? Often, Mac users are paying DOUBLE what they could have paid had they gotten a PC (forget design, specs, whatever, point is you CAN get laptops for half the price of the Pro!) Before my Mac-switch, I've used tons of Dells and never had any defects. because of the Apple design (small, compact, etc.), I guess they're more prone to defects. Not to say other companies don't have problems - go check out NBR and look at all the users with defective Dells. I guess I just got lucky. Back in the day I remember buying a compaq desktop and only the 4th one I got actually powered on!

If Apple wants to charge their customers a premium to buy their products, then they can expect customers with premium taste right back at them and premium expectations as well, right?

24. SchneiderMan thread starter macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

i have two hp pavilions and they dont have any gaps and they close like the macbook (i dont know if its because they dont have a latch) but still
    all the hp's ive seen have no gaps, and ive seen alot

i have this one, one in black and one in white

[​IMG]

great build quality i must say, really solid :D but vista sucks

25. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Stick some weighty books on top of your MBP for a few hours and it should level out a bit. It's metal, some of them are a bit warped. Mine is, but only slightly so I don't much care. Yours is more severe. If books don't sort it, ask Apple to :)