Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
Some people were having the same problems with the Macbook Air. It's aluminum, it bends. I suspect that when the MacBooks are given aluminum cases the problem will carry over to them as well. I don't think Apple considers this a problem. I remember people taking a slightly warped MBP in and not being able to get it replaced since it doesn't affect the performance of the computer.

smartalic34

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
USA
Some people were having the same problems with the Macbook Air. It's aluminum, it bends. I suspect that when the MacBooks are given aluminum cases the problem will carry over to them as well. I don't think Apple considers this a problem. I remember people taking a slightly warped MBP in and not being able to get it replaced since it doesn't affect the performance of the computer.

exactly. apple is using aluminum because it is a light-weight, high-performance metal. it's also prone to bending. this occurs especially when someone opens a MBP by only lifting up one corner of the lid after pressing the latch button.

just bend it back. the lid shouldn't "seal" when shut... see the tiny plastic nobs by the top corners of the lid (when open)? there should be a slight gap (albeit even) to prevent the screen/lid from contacting the keyboard/palmrest

to the OP: dont let this deter you from getting a MBP...

Frozonecold

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2005
NorCal
My MBP had this problem too, but it was so slight that it was not really noticeable. My friend's MBP does not have this problem at all, but rather his keyboard bends up a little on the sides.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
... this occurs especially when someone opens a MBP by only lifting up one corner of the lid after pressing the latch button. ...

After pressing the latch button, I always lift the screen by the center, near the latch, rather than one corner. Also, if you ever pick up your MBP while it's open, pick it up by both sides, not just one. Mine is in perfect condition and just a little bit of care will keep it that way.

DeuceDeuce

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2007
San Dimas, CA
OMG, I bought a Six Dollar Burger from Carl's Jr and it didnt look exactly like the picture. the lettuce was different and the cheese melted of the meat different. Im gonna protest!

This is what I wanted...

six-dollar-burger.jpg

This is what I got...

carljr_burger.jpg

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
OMG, I bought a Six Dollar Burger from Carl's Jr and it didnt look exactly like the picture. the lettuce was different and the cheese melted of the meat different. Im gonna protest!

This is what I wanted...

This is what I got...

Were you smart enough to buy the BurgerCare Warranty, so you can just take it back? :D

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 25, 2008
god damn you people :D stop comparing the macbook pro to food! LOL

ok i got one for you! we all know the macbook right? it closes just like this pic and it looks just like the pic apple puts online:

now why can the macbook look exactly the same as the pics on apple.com in real life but the macbook pro doesnt?

i dont want to hear about food okay:rolleyes:

that burger looks good btw

Attachments

• buynowstrip20080226.png
    buynowstrip20080226.png
    30.4 KB · Views: 39

CleverUsername

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2008
Okay, first of all, $6 =/= $2300, no matter what your exchange rate :rolleyes:

Second, it is completely understandable that companies use the ideal shots of their perfect example to sell a product, but if the majority of the items actually sold do have such an obvious deviation from the represented version, then maybe they should do something to address the issue, one way or another? Either change the picture, check the computers for this before they leave the factory, or at least tell people who call in that it's not that big of deal as long as it doesn't affect performance. I really didn't think this was something common until finding this thread since when I talked to Apple, they seemed completely confused as to how mine could have arrived warped.

And as far as 'bending it back' goes, I did consider it. I even mused about it out loud, which got a horrified look from my mom :p When I talked to Apple I asked if that was something I should try and they said "Absolutely not." Maybe it's just that I'm a complete n00b to laptops, but I listened to them and started the exchange process. Had I seen this thread sooner, who knows? Maybe I would have tried it. Would have saved me waiting an extra two weeks (maybe more :(), but I might be too chicken to try something like that on such an expensive machine straight out of the box.

BTW, I did get the warped one in the mail yesterday, and supposedly the replacement is released for shipment. Nothing has happened on the Order Status page yet though.... *refreshes it harder*

patrickmacrumor

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2008
... when I talked to Apple, they seemed completely confused as to how mine could have arrived warped.

They do that sometimes. When my May 2006 MB started to display Random Shutdown Syndrome, they seemed very surprized that something like that was happening. The tone changed completely when I mentionned that the web is full of similar stories, and that someone even created a web site for this problem.

--
Patrick

tom burns

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2008
My GF bought a new mbp 2 weeks ago, and it was warped like this.
I returned it to the store saying that the lid is warped, and they gave me a new one...

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
Damn that burger looked good! :D. But anyways I have to agree with the OP. That uneven gap has been like that since my first 17" Powerbook 5+years ago. It's a crap shoot when you buy an aluminum Apple notebook. When my 17" died, Apple replaced it and the new one was even all the way around but then my buddy bought a Powerbook and his had an uneven gap. Sloppy. Buttons and controls should be the only thing that varies in company pictures but sloppy workmanship should not.
After 5 years I thought Apple wouldn't addressed this. I'm sure the Apple employees at their headquarters have mentioned it many times in meetings.

CleverUsername

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2008
They do that sometimes. When my May 2006 MB started to display Random Shutdown Syndrome, they seemed very surprized that something like that was happening. The tone changed completely when I mentionned that the web is full of similar stories, and that someone even created a web site for this problem.

--
Patrick

A policy like that seems insane to me! Especially in this case, where it might have saved them a new computer if one of the 5 people I talked to on the day had said "Yes, that is normal. As long as it doesn't affect the running of the computer don't worry about it. You can bend it back with a little gentle pressure if you wish." Instead, all of them acted like it was the weirdest thing they had ever heard and had no idea how to word it in their reports :rolleyes: ....oh, except for the one who said I would have to send it in and they would fix it "if they were able to" which as I mentioned before is just a completely outrageous thing to say to someone who just opened their MBP :eek: I can only assume she hadn't heard me when I said I had just taken it out of the box.

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
I think this one will be the 15th-ish (not counting warranty replacements) MBP of either size since early '06 that I use myself on a daily basis. Yellowing out of the box as well. This one is better than typical of all I've used and handled to be honest - and no occasionally expanding batteries, excessive overheating, occasional instability or panel gaps appearing after a period of normal relatively intensive portable use which would be expected in a typical MBP.

mbpcroptu4.jpg

My 6th-ish (could be 8th, not entirely sure, once again not counting warranty replacement especially since I've never had to ask for one from Sony, HP or Lenovo in recent years) Sony SZ since the same time. Runs Vista like the proverbial butter. Once again, pretty typical of all I've used and handled - very tight build quality of a standard largely alien to Apple, although they used to have a rattling battery issue since cured. The original design intent is clearly not as clean, but in terms of being built to how it should look in real-life use - a heck of a lot better.

szcropjw3.jpg

eddx

macrumors regular
May 12, 2005
Manchester, UK
I have had my MacBook Pro for two years. I was a refurb when I got it. It came with the same issue discussed here.

This is a cosmetic issue and doesn't effect the performance!

If it bothers you so much leave the laptop open as I do 24/7 - mine is only closed when I put it into my laptop bag, therefore I never notice the issue and all is good.

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
I stand corrected, and am rather impressed by your command of random exchange rates at the drop of a hat :D

....Does this mean we should all go to Zimbabwe to buy our computers?

No, I'm sorry. As it turns out, that was the exchange rate from July 3rd.

100,000,000,000 Zimbabwean dollars is now equal to $5.94 US.

Converter on the iPhone. That's just sick, you know?

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 25, 2008
Damn that burger looked good! :D. But anyways I have to agree with the OP. That uneven gap has been like that since my first 17" Powerbook 5+years ago. It's a crap shoot when you buy an aluminum Apple notebook. When my 17" died, Apple replaced it and the new one was even all the way around but then my buddy bought a Powerbook and his had an uneven gap. Sloppy. Buttons and controls should be the only thing that varies in company pictures but sloppy workmanship should not.
After 5 years I thought Apple wouldn't addressed this. I'm sure the Apple employees at their headquarters have mentioned it many times in meetings.

everybody should, all apple product pictures on apple look exactly the same as the real product, but not the macbook pro

TimTheEnchanter

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2004
Minneapolis, MN
god damn you people :D stop comparing the macbook pro to food! LOL....

HEHE!

Okay, lets try something more expensive. Look at any car brochure and I dare you to find any car at a dealer (besides your $100,000+ cars) that is as perfect as the brochure car. You'll see slight inconsistencies in panel gaps and alignments on the lot, but not in their advertising.

Again, I'm not saying the warping is a non-issue, it is and you should pursue it if you buy one and it happens. All I'm trying to point out is, in advertising and marketing, companies will use perfect or near perfect specimens for product photography. It's nothing new and for the most part, not deceiving. As in this case, Apple isn't misleading consumers. The photos are of a new MBP that hasn't seen the light of day prior to the shoot. It hasn't had time to warp, if it will at all.

Anyway, I have an older MBP that is also warped some, but I'm not worried about it. If it turns into a half-pipe, then maybe I'll get pissed! :p

Good luck and don't sweat the small stuff! :D

Dustman

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2007
As you know almost all of the mbp's have warped screen, and i call it defective or really poor build quality.

But on apple posts a picture of the front of a closed macbook pro without any gap, just like it should be! take a look: http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/
This should not be on a $2,000+ laptop, even a $500 laptop is perfectly built.

This makes me really mad and i dont think i would buy my mbp untill apple fixes this asap!

I say if you guys dont feel good about having this problem then try to show those jerks at the apple store this and demand a new and normal mbp just like apple shows you when you go and buy one.

Ever notice that the burgers at dairy queen NEVER look the same in real life as they do on TV?

No company is going to show its flaws in advertising that they spend millions on.

goinskiing

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
Meridian, ID
I have had my MBP now for 2 weeks and didn't even notice it until it was pointed out to me. Do I realy care that there is a small gap when it's shut (meaning it's in my neprene case where I CANT see it), not really. It has been a fantastic computer and works splendidly. I'm happy to see nitpicks over cosmetics than trying to figure out serious hardware/driver/OS issues. Sure, it has a gap, I'm too busy computing than to worry about a gap when it's shut. Just my 2 cents. :cool:

stainlessliquid

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2006
My friend has a highend Vaio, the thing is built like its made of one solid piece of metal. Best build quality Ive ever seen for electronics, feels more like a car than some computer. Theres no uneveness and the screen doesnt wobble no matter how much you shake it, apple could do better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.