Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iThink Apple

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 27, 2011
hello all!

So how does Apple Music work with iOS4.1? I thought I would get accesed to the whole AM library. Or do I still need to add music in my watch and then i can stream the music without actually downloading it to my watch?

iThink Apple

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 27, 2011
That’s Watch OS 4.1. It gives you access to the whole AM library via streaming if you are a subscriber. You can also sync music to your phone for offline listening.

Right and I am subscribed but when I open the music app on my watch I only see what I have synced....can’t I not search songs to stream just like I would on the iPhone app? I thought that’s what it would allow you to do with 4.1

Solver

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
USA
Right and I am subscribed but when I open the music app on my watch I only see what I have synced....can’t I not search songs to stream just like I would on the iPhone app? I thought that’s what it would allow you to do with 4.1

That’s what I get also. Which Apple Watch model do you have? I have a series 1. I do not have Apple Music, but I can use the watch to call up Beats 1 radio or play an album on my iPhone via Siri. I can then control the music from the Now Playing app. However, it only plays on my iPhone or connected headset.

keeper

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2008
“Play music from Apple Music. If Apple Watch Series 3 is near your iPhone or connected to a Wi-Fi or cellular network (cellular model only), you can stream music from your music library to Apple Watch. Open Music on Apple Watch, tap Library, then tap an album, playlist, or song not on Apple Watch to play it.”

Excerpt From
Apple Watch User Guide
Apple Inc.
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/book/apple-watch-user-guide/id985786488?mt=11
This material may be protected by copyright.

I’ve not got any Bluetooth speakers to try but I think to stream you need to ask Siri to play what you want to listen to.

a.y.n

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2009
San Francisco
To stream from Apple Music just ask Siri to play something, there's no browsing/searching UI, you can still sync playlists and those are the only ones you can scroll through. It plays in the Music app, Radio app is just for radio.

Reactions: riverfreak

ujjbd16

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2015
Are you guys opening the music app or the radio app? WatchOS 4.1 added a radio app.

I can open Apple Music on my LTE watch and I now see and can stream all my playlists in the cloud. I can also stream using the radio application.

I have not tried playing music that is not on any of my playlists in Apple Music as yet.

Seems to work very well

Reactions: deadworlds

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
Did they bring back the ability to control your entire music collection?

techiegirl

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2007
Neither music nor radio app are streaming for me. I’m on AT&T with cellular turned on.

garethjs

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2008
Is anyone having missing covertart of some songs on Apple Music on the watch? Its perfectly fine on my other devices.

PatrickNSF

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
One thing I haven't been able to find – is there a way to just limit selection to what I've already transferred to my watch? Or at least show me what part of my library is locally stored?

For example, if I go on a long run I may want to play music locally stored rather than take the additional battery hit that (I assume) streaming by LTE would require. And I don't necessarily want to turn LTE off in those circumstances as I'd like to be reachable by LTE in case of an emergency.

K Anderson

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2017
The only music I have on any device is from cds that I put on my Mac so I could put them on thumb drives to play in my truck because it did not come with a CD player but it did come with a USB port. So I can see and play them on my Mac and through home sharing I can see/play them on my iPad and iPhone but I can not figure out how to get it to my watch. Does anyone have any idea how to use home sharing on the watch or how I can get the music from home sharing on my Mac/iPad/phone to my watch?

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
Can someone please definitively answer these two questions for me? I would really appreciate it.

1. I’m all but certain the answer is no, but can a Series 0/1/2 AW now control your music collection again like previous to 4.0?

2. I’m reading on Reddit by a few users that LTE AW S3 owners can indeed control their entire music collection (like prior to 4.0) and that’s WITHOUT LTE even activated with a carrier. Is this true? They are also saying it doesn’t work with GPS S3 AW’s.

Mercenary

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2012
You need to use Siri. It just wouldnt be practicle to let you search and browse all 40,000,000 songs in apple music.

Another way to view specifics is to add them to your library. Then they will show up in your watch.

actcyclist

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2017
OMG. I've got remote music playing back using Siri.

"Play <music> on my iPhone" and then "now playing" on my watch controls the iPhone within that album/list.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
It’s really badly integrated, which is just confusing. It’s lile they just slapped in Apple Music support without actually adapting the app at all.

You can’t view Recently Added, which is where most people go to select the music they want to hear. Also if you’re looking through Album virw and you click an album, it’ll immediately play the first track on the album rather than showing you the songs in that album - how is that logical? There’s also absolutely no iCloud Music Library settings for Apple Watch to be seen anywhere.

I’m also getting very spotty success with even playing music. Some very weird issues with track skipping and stuttering going on.

What is it with Apple these days and rushing out features before they’re polished or even well supported?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.