Apple Music Renames Hip-Hop Playlist to 'Rap Life'

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 19, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple Music has renamed its "The A-List: Hip-Hop" playlist to "Rap Life."

[​IMG]

Ebro Darden, global editorial head of hip-hop and R&B at Apple Music, will host a companion "Rap Life" segment during his daily Beats 1 show and there will also be a weekly show called "Rap Life" which will feature music from the playlist and cultural discussions around hip-hop, according to Billboard.

The playlist's description:
    Apple Music has been a leading streaming platform for hip-hop since it launched in 2015, reportedly topping Spotify in engagement for major releases such as Drake's recent projects "Scorpion" and "More Life."

Article Link: Apple Music Renames Hip-Hop Playlist to 'Rap Life'

2. Kaibelf Suspended

Kaibelf

Oh lord. Here come the comments about how Apple features too much rap as if it’s hard to find other music on there.

3. blacktape242 macrumors 68000

blacktape242

4. H3LL5P4WN macrumors 68020

H3LL5P4WN

Where's our "Metal Promotes Positive Thinking and Balance" playlist?

5. MrGuder macrumors 68030

Wait...isn’t this going to offend someone? This will be in all the news media lol

6. rizzo41999 macrumors 6502

rizzo41999

7. triton100 macrumors 6502

As a hip hop fan I can’t decide whether this is a good rebrand and representation of the genre or just wanky pretentiousness. I’m torn.

8. DeanLubaki macrumors 6502a

DeanLubaki

Rap sells, so it makes sense for Apple to focus on that ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

9. Bawstun macrumors 68000

Bawstun

Hip hop isn’t rap though. That makes no sense and is actually pretty racist.

10. macduke macrumors G4

macduke

Question: What color do you have to be to perform/record rap music or listen to it?

Thanks.

11. nfl46 macrumors 604

nfl46

12. Bawstun macrumors 68000

Bawstun

Any color & any color. One of the best-selling rap artists of the last few decades was white, that would be Eminem.

The point stands, hip hop and rap are two separate genres, as evidenced by Billboard having different hit charts for both genres with different artists topping both charts.

Renaming “hip hop” to “rap life” is racist whether anybody likes it or not. They’re not the same.

13. infiniteentropy macrumors regular

They've been renaming all their "A-List" playlists over the past few months. About a month ago, for example "The A-List: Rock" became "The New Rock," "The A-List: Metal" became "Optimus Metallum," "The A-List: Singer/Songwriter" became "Today's Acoustic" and more.

Were all the other name changes written about on MacRumors? Legit just asking. I enjoy all different genres, including rap.

14. radiology macrumors 6502

radiology

15. Bawstun macrumors 68000

Bawstun

That’s apples to oranges though. Those renames kept the genres the same and didn’t assume they were interchangeable.

Rock still focuses on rock. The metal change still contains the word metal etc.

Whoever thought up this change is clearly ignorant about music and groups “hip hop” in with “rap” as if hip hop is just another way to say black rap music. They’re not the same genre, not even close.

16. dumastudetto macrumors 68040

Huge breaking news.
    I might rename one of my own Apple Music playlists to celebrate.

17. InLikeALion macrumors 6502a

InLikeALion

I agree with your assessment that the name change is sloppy and potentially furthers misinformed interchanging of the two genres. However, it's not just limited to Hip Hop => Rap. I see the same with Singer/Songwriter => Acoustic whatever. Singer/Songwriter _doesn't_ have to be acoustic stuff at all. So with the renaming of these playlists, they are actually pigeonholing a lot of stuff in a sort of backwards stepping manner.

18. lunarworks macrumors 68000

"A sophisticated gentleman such as myself only listens to artisanally crafted grindcore."

19. Kabeyun macrumors 68020

Kabeyun

Ignoring white rappers? Does that make you racist?

Or maybe people should release their hair trigger outrage and relax. Apple, a company with a conspicuous record of not being prejudiced, is just trying to sell music.

20. Böhme417 macrumors 6502a

Well, it's true. And, I do find it difficult to discover new (other) music on Apple Music. Spotify was much, much better at this. Or rather, it was just much betting at suggesting new music that I would like.

21. farewelwilliams macrumors 68020

saying it’s racist when it doesn’t have a anything to do with race is actually a bit racist

22. Spacetime Anomaly macrumors member

Spacetime Anomaly

I like Apple, but wait a minute. The neighbourhood supports, so put some money in it.

23. QCassidy352 macrumors G4

QCassidy352

I agree that they are not the same... but that makes the renaming inaccurate, not racist. How is it racist to conflate hip hop and rap?

24. EEzycade macrumors regular

EEzycade

Revolutionary! The world may never be the same

25. blacktape242 macrumors 68000

blacktape242

good grief...