Apple Music Renames Hip-Hop Playlist to 'Rap Life'

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
Hip hop isn’t rap though. That makes no sense and is actually pretty racist.
lol

dude

please explain how this is racist

.. i get it that in your brain it’s somehow racist and makes sense to you.. but please, enlighten the rest of the class with the inner workings of your brain
[doublepost=1563553640][/doublepost]
Whoever thought up this change is clearly ignorant about music and groups “hip hop” in with “rap” as if hip hop is just another way to say black rap music. They’re not the same genre, not even close.
i think you need a culture and history lesson

Last edited:

R3k

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Sep 7, 2011
That’s apples to oranges though. Those renames kept the genres the same and didn’t assume they were interchangeable.

Rock still focuses on rock. The metal change still contains the word metal etc.

Whoever thought up this change is clearly ignorant about music and groups “hip hop” in with “rap” as if hip hop is just another way to say black rap music. They’re not the same genre, not even close.
All hip hop is rap but not all rap is hip hop.

Hip Hop is a sub genre. It was never used to specify rap music made by black artists. The terms were in use before Eminem.

Your trolling has reached new heights, you post history reads like cancer.

Last edited:

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Sweet Jeebus. We are all dumber having read that. :oops:
This is the very type of claim of racism that devalues real issues of race. Using hip-hop and rap interchangeably has nothing to do with racism. It may be an indication of a lack of genre awareness, but it ain't racism.

_Refurbished_

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2007
Any color & any color. One of the best-selling rap artists of the last few decades was white, that would be Eminem.

The point stands, hip hop and rap are two separate genres, as evidenced by Billboard having different hit charts for both genres with different artists topping both charts.

Renaming “hip hop” to “rap life” is racist whether anybody likes it or not. They’re not the same.
Just because something is incorrectly named doesn’t make it “racist”. Incorrect, debatable. Racist? No.
What if the team of people that decided to do this were of color? Is it racist then?

az431

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2008
Portland, OR
Oh lord. Here come the comments about how Apple features too much rap as if it’s hard to find other music on there.
And how the people that worked on this project would have spent their time better working on hardware.
[doublepost=1563557610][/doublepost]
Every dictionary and authoritative musical reference on Earth disagrees with you. And no, it's not racist, though I'm assuming you didn't make up your own definition for that as well.

az431

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2008
Portland, OR
Renaming “hip hop” to “rap life” is racist whether anybody likes it or not. They’re not the same.
One could make an extremely weak argument that using the term "rap life" in conjunction with the new cover art stereotypes black people, but even that is a stretch, and it most certainly is not racist.

Racism is the belief that one race is superior over another race, and you'd have to explain how renaming a playlist "Rap Life" implies anything about relative standing among races. There is nothing that could be construed discriminatory, prejudicial, or disparaging other than your own subjective belief, which makes you a racist, not Apple.

thefourthpope

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2007
DelMarVa
It’s odd to think of racism as a scale.
[doublepost=1563561536][/doublepost]
Any color & any color. One of the best-selling rap artists of the last few decades was white, that would be Eminem.

The point stands, hip hop and rap are two separate genres, as evidenced by Billboard having different hit charts for both genres with different artists topping both charts.

This is a bad take.

You could say renaming “hip hop” to “rap life” is inaccurate and I bet you’d find a lot of agreement. But it’s certainly not racist.

Claiming this as racism is the sort of thing that makes people like my dad reflexively deny genuine allegations when they appear.

Reactions: jjini

Glockworkorange

macrumors 68000
Feb 10, 2015
Chicago, Illinois

I’d call it ignorant as opposed to racist.

Bawstun

macrumors 68000
Jun 25, 2009
lol

dude

please explain how this is racist

.. i get it that in your brain it’s somehow racist and makes sense to you.. but please, enlighten the rest of the class with the inner workings of your brain
[doublepost=1563553640][/doublepost]

i think you need a culture and history lesson
The genres are different and whatever white dude at Apple thought of this change is at the very least, ignorant.

Sooooo much pushback on my comments, why? BILLBOARD, the leading authority in music, has separate charts and chart history for Hip Hop and for Rap.

I understand to ignorant whites, it’s “all the same” but it doesn’t change the facts that it. is. not. the. same. All music by black artists is not the same just because you may not like it or listen to it. Get over my comments because they’re 100% true.
[doublepost=1563577686][/doublepost]
I agree that they are not the same... but that makes the renaming inaccurate, not racist. How is it racist to conflate hip hop and rap?
Who do you think conflated them? White dudes at Apple who don’t listen to either genre and think they’re interchangeable. Ignorant and SLIGHTLY racist, IMO. Even a tiny bit of research and educating themselves would show that the two genres are not the same just because they’re both primarily by black artists.

Last edited by a moderator:

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009
And I think you need to shut up. The genres are different and whatever white dude at Apple thought of this change is at the very least, ignorant.

Sooooo much pushback on my comments, why? BILLBOARD, the leading authority in music, has separate charts and chart history for Hip Hop and for Rap.

I understand to ignorant whites, it’s “all the same” but it doesn’t change the facts that it. is. not. the. same. All music by black artists is not the same just because you may not like it or listen to it. Get over my comments because they’re 100% true.
[doublepost=1563577686][/doublepost]

Who do you think conflated them? White dudes at Apple who don’t listen to either genre and think they’re interchangeable. Ignorant and SLIGHTLY racist, IMO. Even a tiny bit of research and educating themselves would show that the two genres are not the same just because they’re both primarily by black artists.
Ain't "white dudes (people)" runnin Billboard?
It might make more sense if you give your take on the difference between Hip-hop and Rap.

Last edited:
Reactions: jjini and R3k

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
And I think you need to shut up. The genres are different and whatever white dude at Apple thought of this change is at the very least, ignorant.

in your opinion... whose opinion do you think is more valuable on this topic.. BAW-STAN? or KRS-ONE?

Reactions: jjini and sinsin07