Apple Offering Pre-Approvals to iPhone Upgrade Program Customers Ahead of iPhone 8

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 13, 2017.

1. jamface macrumors member

jamface

Yeah, way better. I'd love to pay for a device in full, and then have to give it back before I got my next one, which I'd then have to continue paying for and so on...

2. ckurt25 macrumors 6502a

ckurt25

I called Citizens and they said Equifax. I'd suggest giving them a call yourself to double check.

3. WannaGoMac macrumors 65816

Good thinking. Also, it's $250 difference between the 8x and 8+ base models & applecare (plus tax on that $250).

I am debating the 8+ or the X. The 8+ is the phone to get for the old models as the 7+ is essentially the same price as the 8+ (7+ 32gb is too small so would to upgrade to the 129gb).

Another thing, there is no way the 8X doesnt have bugs and issues that apple has to work out. You also avoid all those hassles and maybe the Face ID experiment will die and touchID back in the display in 2018?

4. RickInHouston macrumors 6502a

Breaking it down on a monthly basis, you have to ask yourself why we switch out phones so often.

5. bopajuice macrumors 6502a

bopajuice

"You've already made the choice. Now you need to understand why you made it".

6. hiroden macrumors regular

7. Phonephreak, Sep 13, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2017

Phonephreak macrumors member

Phonephreak

Problem is this is how you get into financial trouble. Buy it outright or you really can’t afford it

8. chrisbru macrumors 6502a

chrisbru

Pay off the loan, sell the phone.

9. Wags macrumors regular

Agree. Getting new phone every year is not a rationale financial decision. Wants vs needs.

10. i hate phones macrumors 6502a

That's not how it works... if you pay for it in full, you own it and don't have to give it back. If you trade it in after 1 year, you've only paid for half of it and trade it in to pay off the rest of your loan (it would be the equivalent to paying full price and then selling it for half price after 1 year)- you have to factor in the phones worth with your remaining loan balance to decide if its worth trading in or paying off loan and selling yourself. Half value isn't too bad (it's actually good when comparing to typical trade in values).. you might be able to make an extra 100 selling yourself but there's also the convenience factor..

It's not really a lease. It's a loan with a trade in/upgrade option

11. Dr_Charles_Forbin macrumors member

Dr_Charles_Forbin

Or you get a subsidy from your company. I get $60/month for using my own phone for company business.

12. wigby macrumors 65816

Every single purchase in an Apple Store sends up red flags to all credit card companies and banks. I get fraudulent alerts every time I make a purchase at Apple Stores because they have a huge rate of fraudulent purchases using stolen cards and IDs. It's a form of money laundering since Apple products are valuable like gold or another form of currency.

After the Experia and Equifax breaches, I do not use any credit check services unless I'm forced to when buying a house. It's not worth engaging with those companies voluntarily since they don't respect our security.

I think this iPhone Upgrade Program is just a test for something much larger. I'm predicting an Apple Loyalty Card someday in the near future that gets small discounts or points on purchases and also guarantees a place in line for future products. I would pay $100/year just for that privilege. Now all Apple has to do is repatriate their cash so they can start their own bank in the U.S.

13. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

If you upgrade yearly the upgrade programs, whether from a carrier or apple directly, are definitely the way to go. The second hand market for phones has tanked. I remember getting ~$550 for a year old iphone.

14. brianlbaker macrumors member

brianlbaker

Actually that's cheap. With the pound being worthabout 32% more than the dollar, right now. A true comparative price for Brits should be $65.88 compared to the US $49.91..

15. michelg1970 macrumors regular

michelg1970

Not only the Brits...

In Holland it will cost € 1159. Excluding VAT that is € 957 or $ 1130... 13% more expensive (excluding taxes).

But then again, it has been like this for years. A few years ago I bought my MacBook Pro in the USD including all taxes for around € 400 less than in Holland...

16. Dr_Charles_Forbin macrumors member

Dr_Charles_Forbin

Can anyone come up with a selling point for upgrading? I have a 6S+ that's still working fine and suits my needs and will be paid off in 6 months or so. Unless they toss some kind of incentive my way on a 6 trade in - I don't see it. Why buy an 8 when its not that much more for an X? Why even spend the money in the first place?

17. marty11 macrumors regular

Probably just going to use my 6s+ for another year since it's paid for and look for a used 8+ next year when the 8s comes out.

The utility of a smartphone has kind of maxed out with me. The only real draw is the improved camera, but that's not enough to spend $800 on a 8+.

A $1000 iphone X is a total non starter for me. But I see why people are in to it.

18. L-Viz macrumors member

There is this image floating around the internet. I think, there is still hope for the ones, who don't want phablets.
    [​IMG]

19. marty11 macrumors regular

I'm of the same thought. I just cant see what the point would be to upgrading, expect for the camera. Sure, there might be some perceivable speed improvements when editing photos, or loading apps, but for email, internet, FB, reddit, and a few games there's really no reason.

20. Beowulf1 macrumors newbie

Beowulf1

You do realize you paid $200 on a 2-year Carrier based contract right? Do the math, in those 2 years, you paid thousands of dollars for that phone.

21. shk718 macrumors 65816

i went to the app to get pre-approved and it says T-Mobile requires you to go into a store for approval. WTF??!!?? all the other carriers can do it online - what's wrong with T-Mobile - I thought they were supposed to be the progressive up-to-date carrier - guess not.

And - i'm going to be on vacation the weekend it comes out - will apple hold it for me until i get back (that Sunday)?

22. slippery-pete macrumors 65816

slippery-pete

No, didn't get a case #. If you have some time, there were many threads about this last year and it was clear no "hard inquiry" was done for returning customers.

23. TheShadowKnows!, Sep 13, 2017

TheShadowKnows! macrumors regular

TheShadowKnows!

I think you need to review your understanding about hard credit checks.

There are two kinds of credit checks:
    1. soft which have no impact (and not relayed to inquirers, other than you), and
    2. hard which do have an impact on your score.

Hard credit check attributes:
    1. [Persistent] They stay with you for two years.
    2. [Multiplier] Number and frequency do impact, and lower, your score.
    3. [Mandatory] Any financing request (car, credit card application, credit purchase) forces a hard credit check -- no exceptions.

Why? The number and frequency of hard checks on record indicate that you may be trying to live precariously. It scares off the finance companies, even though you may be paying on time, and penalizes you by increasing their perceived risk.

It is not a good thing unless you cannot resist -- obviously.

24. jamface macrumors member

jamface

Thanks for explaining - that makes a bit more sense. Still not sure it's that great. I guess you pay at least the same (or more) then the value of the phone and AppleCare before you actually get to keep the thing, in exchange for the added value option of trading up after 12minths.

25. macduke, Sep 13, 2017

macduke macrumors 604

macduke

Can someone corroborate this? I spoke with Apple and they don't seem to know what's going on. I've left a message with my contact I have in Apple Online Store Executive Relations to see what is up so hopefully she calls me back soon.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 13, 2017 ---

So I tried to go through the pre-approval process to see what it says. It says I have to use the Apple Store app on my iPhone. So I go into that, but it's locked to my iTunes account, and my iCloud and iTunes/app store accounts are separate because I have old accounts and you can't merge them. It says I have to log out of everything on my iPhone and log in with my iCloud account for iTunes/App store to be able to use the Apple Store app. But that will foul up a bunch of other stuff. This is so much BS. I really hate Apple's shopping experience. It shows I have no devices, but their help says that I just have to be logged in with iTunes stores on a device for the list to show up. I have no idea what's going on and I'm more confused now than I was before.