Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today updated its online store for refurbished products, introducing refurbished Apple Watch models for the first time since the Apple Watch was released in the spring of 2015.

The Apple Watch refurbished section includes both Apple Watch Series 1 and Series 2 models at 14 to 16 percent off depending on configuration. No original Apple Watch models are included.

refurbishedapplewatch-800x446.jpg

Both aluminum and stainless steel Apple Watch models are included, in 38 and 42mm size options. All Apple Watches listed in the store feature Sport bands in a variety of colors.

Aluminum Apple Watch models start at $229 for the 38mm version ($40 off), while 38mm stainless steel Apple Watch models start at $469 ($80 off).

Refurbished stock varies on a day-by-day basis according to the models that Apple has on hand, and supplies can potentially go quickly. Refurbished stock is refreshed on a regular basis, however.

All of Apple's refurbished Apple Watch models include magnetic charging cables and a full one-year warranty, just like non-refurbished products. Series 2 models ship with a power adapter, while Series 1 models do not.

Article Link: Apple Offering Refurbished Series 1 and Series 2 Apple Watch Models

Last edited:

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012
I wish the Refurbished program was available in Mexico, or can I ship from the US Apple Store?

m.x

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2014
I wonder what it will take, if anything, to turn Apple Watch sales around?

It's a solution to a problem that didn't exist is really the heart of the problem.

They should have gone for the masses instead of selling it as a jewelry. Look to which companies they compared their sales in the keynotes (Rolex, Patek Philipe, ...). The stainless steel one could be considered a piece of jewelry. The sport one should be extremely attractive to the masses so it attracts more developers, who could come up with much broader support. More developers = more possible apps which could work as the missing "killer" app. I would stop the mess with Series 1 and Series 2, keep only the Series 2 versions around. Pricing has to be attractive: $199/$229 or $229/$249 for 38/42mm. Drop the price of the Sport bands from $49 to $29.
I think that's the only way to turn the sales around, otherwise it ends up like the Apple TV 4: the long awaited App support is there, but it's fading away since the device is way too expensive to attract the masses ($149/$199 is way too much for Siri, a new remote of questionable use and App support in relation to the $70 for the predecessor). You can see it with their new TV App, it's basically useless since it doesn't support Netflix and Amazon. I don't think sales will rise much if they continue to see it as a fashion-notification wearable which fits well (from the looks and price) to your Burberry coat (I'm looking at you, Mrs. Ahrendts!).

GamerBoredom

Suspended
Oct 29, 2013
Colorado
So I called my biz rep and asked what the deal is, she told me these watches mostly failed OS install of the latest version and failed "new" protocol. She said essentially it is a new product but will all come in a slim long box with basic cables and instructions (all new). So I bought a space black, delivery for tomorrow! Haven't had much stock here in CO, so was a no brainer! Can't wait to see if she was just pulling my leg or not, curious to see how the casing looks, etc,.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
At this point I have no idea when I would ever upgrade my Watch. Not much reason to, aside from the hairline crack going down the side from barely bumping into something getting worse. Makes more sense to wait until apps are more usable as I hardly ever use many third party apps with it. I wish they would sell it without the band as an option for $50 less as I already have a few.

Reactions: bhodinut and Huck

techfreak23

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2013
I wonder if I take my original Apple Watch in for an AppleCare replacement if they will give me a Series 1 with the S2 as a replacement...

dgdosen

macrumors 68030
Dec 13, 2003
Seattle
I'm wondering out loud here - is Apple fearful of Android Wear 2.0 watches coming in a few weeks? Just as Apple leapfrogged over MS in the iDevice space - might Google be about to leapfrog over Apple with iot devices (including watches)?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.