Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CWT1965

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2010
You'll be disappointed then....

I won't be ;)

Apple can't take its users for granted, the hardcores will buy anything with an Apple logo but an iPhone 4s being the only release on Tuesday would only be the case if Tim Cook is a paid Samsung plant, the only winner in a minor specs update after 16 months would be Samsung

Frankied22

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'd like to go all in on iPhone 5 please.

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
Ugh... how many times do we have to go through this?

Step 1) Apple release new product.
Step 2) People realise it is not what they wanted.
Step 3) Everyone complains.
Step 4) Everyone suddenly loves it and all is forgiven.
Step 5) Return to Step 1

My guess is that no official details combined with mob mentality builds unrealistic expectations (marketing genius). People complain because something made up didn't come true (think socks at Christmas). Everyone falls in love because it's incrementally good enough to justify buying a new one or switching from another platform. In the case of the iPhone there are so many incremental improvements that the sum is "must have" for most.

Why did they pull the beta then?

"Cannot process your request may not be the same as pulling the beta. With the problems MobileMe has had they may just be down or overloaded.

Padraig

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2005
if it was just a specs refresh it would have happened 4 months ago, there is no way Apple would wait all this time just to announce a specs upgrade to an existing phone, it is fantasy land, just can't believe the panic on this board

I'd agree. Unless they couldn't resolve issues with the 5 and the 4S is the fall back.

mholtz2323

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2008
I will be thoroughly disappointed if it is exactly the iPhone 4 with upgraded internals. I am mostly interested in a large screen.

The reasoning that Apple will use for the delay (if there is only a spec upgrade) is for the software components (iOS 5, iCloud). Of course they're important but I really don't believe they're adding anything that is worth delaying the phone hardware for 4 months. Assistant sounds like it's going to be extremely overhyped and barely used, to me.

I could see apple using that reasoning, but if they knew they had extra time for the hardware because of the software, then what were they doing all this time? Arghh!

pjhamill

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2010
I won't be ;)

Apple can't take its users for granted, the hardcores will buy anything with an Apple logo but an iPhone 4s being the only release on Tuesday would only be the case if Tim Cook is a paid Samsung plant, the only winner in a minor specs update after 16 months would be Samsung

I agree, there will be many disappointed, but there could be many other reasons for the delayed release. iPhone 4S it is.

CWT1965

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2010
There's an arrogance and ignorance to this that just doesn't sit right with me.

The iPhone 4's has been rumoured for some time to be a low spec iPhone to sell to people who can't afford a regular iPhone4

Anyone who can afford a regular iPhone 4 gets an iPhone 4, this 4s is for those that can't afford a regular 4

saichand

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2011
Apple doesn't like to complicate buyers.

It always keeps the options simple.

Yes, I want the iPhone 5, but this leak seals all the rumors.

iPhone 4 - 8GB - $99 - Black and White - AT&T and Verizon

iPhone 4S - 16GB and 32GB - $199/$299 - Black and White - AT&T, Verizon & Sprint

Simple. Adding a new iPhone 5 to that mix creates confusion. Apple doesn't work like that.

o0jelly0o

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

How amazing would it be if apple created the entire iPhone 4S speculation to further shroud the iPhone 5 in complete secrecy. Distracting everyone until they announce it, blowing everyone's mind!! Haha

TigerWoodsIV

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5313e Safari/7534.48.3)

There's no way....If it was just a 4S- Apple would've shipped this since June.

That's what I am thinking. If it's the same form factor, they already had access to the rest of the parts. Why delay 3 months to add an 8MP camera and the A5 chip that was already ready for the iPad 2 6 months ago. Even if they had to tweak the chip for power consumption or something, there's no way it should've delayed the phone. I'm just hoping the voice stuff didn't delay it for some reason. New amazingness>using my voice to control my phone.

liddil101

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2011
Wow!

WOW! I am completely caught off guard and am very disappointed in Apple. What a waste. I can't believe they would actually wait this long for some minor updates....and yes having that voice assistant is super minor, along with everything iCloud related. If there isn't an iPhone 5 then Apple is showing signs of hitting a wall and all the other competitors will be going much further with their updates. Apple not only needs to get caught up with what other devices are doing but they need to have a brand new model as well. It's always seemed to be their business model.

saichand

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2011
That's what I am thinking. If it's the same form factor, they already had access to the rest of the parts. Why delay 3 months to add an 8MP camera and the A5 chip that was already ready for the iPad 2 6 months ago. Even if they had to tweak the chip for power consumption or something, there's no way it should've delayed the phone.

iOS 5 was not ready. iCloud was not ready. iTunes Match was not ready.

murdercitydevil

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2010
california
I can only interpret this one way - Apple purposely let this get out and get discovered to keep expectations about an iPhone 5 low before the event. No way they would not scour the beta for any instance of iPhone related stuff before releasing it, this close to the announcement date. Either this is to make us believe there's only a 4S and surprise us with a redesigned 5, or to make us accept the fact and start waiting for Apple to convince us that it's magical and revolutionary and that we still need to buy one.

PJWilkin

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2010
It's still a BETA ..

I don't know why people are getting upset

"It's still a Beta ... all bets are off until they release it for real"

It is perfectly possible that apple will release both a iPhone 4S and 5, however it is possible that on the 4th they just make one available next week, and the other at a future point (just in time for the Christmas rush)

"The iPhone 4S and IOS 5 are available today, the iPhone 5 will be here in December"

I can see benefits to releasing a cheap "cut down" iPhone (especially with iCloud Streaming (if it happens)), this would help people who can't quite afford the "Premium" to get one, and allow Carriers to entice more people on the "Slightly more expensive" iPhone related tarrifs

I really do hope they release a "Full Fat" iPhone 5 with ground breaking hardware/facilities/design, one that will push the competition to go further. If however they release a "Minor Upgrade" to the iPhone 4, then people will really consider the Samsung Galaxy II HD / LTE phones.

Apple can have their cake and eat it by releasing 2 models, "Cheap" and "Premium" , I suspect they will have different "On Sale" dates so as to allow supply

If they do separate "On-Sale" dates, that'll give them time to add the later phone into iTunes

Just my $0.02 worth

jhall527

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2008
Columbus, Ohio
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8L1)

At first, I was disappointed at the prospect of a lack of redesign but I'm not that upset anymore. The iPhone 4 design is extremely popular and it doesn't make sense to redesign just for the sake of a redesign. Between a spec bump, iOS 5, iTunes match, iCloud there is a ton I am still looking forward to.

markmarshall

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Think were all going to have to wait. They have hyped iOS5 and the new phone up so much. That I don't believe they will dissapoint.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.