Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
As the evidence mounts against there being an iPhone5/redesign, I'm just burying my fingers deeper into my ears while shouting "LALAALAAAALAAALAAAAA".

Perfect!!

There are all kinds of fancy psych terms and concepts to explain many of the post here, but the above says it all.

RyanR.

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2008
Virginia
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A5313e)

I miss Steve ...

Pro31

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2009
Steve Jobs will not be releasing this phone, I dont know why people keep thinking that. It will be Tim.

D4F

Sep 18, 2007
Planet Earth
If there will be no iPhone 5 then things are about to get ugly...

All you stock holders better check the #'s on tuesday.

applefan289

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2010
USA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A5313e)

I miss Steve ...

I'm thinking the keynote on Tuesday will not have the same atmosphere with Tim as with Steve. Steve gave off that "passion" vibe - the vibe that he's the head of the company and he's loving to tell you about the next new product.

I don't know about Tim.

markmarshall

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Why have they pulled the beta os?

Zunjine

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2009
Lots of people seem certain that without a big cosmetic change the next iPhone can't possibly maintain the market share that Apple want.

This is odd, because...

iPhone 3GS - looks the same as the iPhone 3G which came out in July 2008. That's over 3 years ago. And how's the 3GS doing sales wise? Second best selling phone on the market!

And what's it second to? The iPhone 4!

So, what I'm asking here is, if the iPhone 3GS with a 3 and a bit year old design can do so well, why are people so sure that the iPhone 4 which is only 16-17 months old needs a facelift?

redkamel

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2006
All they've done is confirmed the 4S. That's one half the story. I'd love to know where people are reading the invisible "There won't be an iPhone 5". I can't see it.

Yeah, where are they getting this information? Also, where are they getting the information that an iPad 3 WON'T be released on Tuesday either? or MacPro refreshes? How do they keep saying with such confidence these things won't be released on Tuesday?

CWT1965

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2010

I miss Steve ...

Not long till we see him again i think :D

Apple lower expectations via leaks of iPhone 4's, everyone expects low key upgrade on Tuesday with Tim Cook making a geeky speech

10am Steve Jobs walks on stage and unveils revolutionary iPhone 5

Its gonna happen ;)

Hedrush

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Pro31 said:
Steve Jobs will not be releasing this phone, I dont know why people keep thinking that. It will be Tim.

You....Go stand in the corner till Steve finishes speaking.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
If all it is is an iPhone 4 with an A5 and a better camera I ain't buying.

Sounds pretty awesome to me. Then again, I'm still using a 3GS so it'd be a rather large upgrade for me. But, I also upgraded from a 3G to the 3GS and have never regretted it. Extra speed does make a big difference, and it will be compatible with apps that take advantage of A5 features for longer (for example, full screen antialiasing or complex shaders).

mholtz2323

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2008
iOS 5 was not ready. iCloud was not ready. iTunes Match was not ready.

And they had to of known that because of these major improvements to the software, they had a lot more time to design the iPhone 5. Software teams and hardware teams are entirely different, even though they have to be on the same page.

I still say iPhone 4s is just an upgraded 4 and the iPhone 5 has 4 inch screen, 8mp camera, a5, slightly tapered.

pjhamill

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2010
Not long till we see him again i think :D

Apple lower expectations via leaks of iPhone 4's, everyone expects low key upgrade on Tuesday with Tim Cook making a geeky speech

10am Steve Jobs walks on stage and unveils revolutionary iPhone 5

Its gonna happen ;)

That's wishful thinking. It's very unlikely even one of those scenarios will happen.

sparks9

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2003
Copenhagen
iPhone 4S is being introduced to have a universal iPhone 4. One model for all the carriers, which will simplify the supply chain. The only difference will be the cellular chip, same as the one in the Verizon phone, has all frequencies and protocals (GMS/CDMA) enabled.

iPhone 5 will be the new king with the A5, 8 MP camera, etc.

Lets recap:

iPhone 4S = Universal iPhone 4
iPhone 5 = Apple Love

This seems like the most sensible post in this thread. Sounds very plausible.

Pro31

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

You....Go stand in the corner till Steve finishes speaking.

You...wake up!! I think you are dreaming!

na1577

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2008
I am seriously surprised that Apple is willing to undermine their product with a lesser name. I thought that Apple would name the next phone iPhone 5 whether it was redesigned or not.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
Lots of people seem certain that without a big cosmetic change the next iPhone can't possibly maintain the market share that Apple want.

This is odd, because...

iPhone 3GS - looks the same as the iPhone 3G which came out in July 2008. That's over 3 years ago. And how's the 3GS doing sales wise? Second best selling phone on the market!

So, what I'm asking here is, if the iPhone 3GS with a 3 and a bit year old design can do so well, why are people so sure that the iPhone 4 which is only 16-17 months old needs a facelift?

+1

if there is just a spec bump the apple will sell just as many phones as if there was a new design. I for one hope there is a iPhone 5 with a new design but I will most likely buy the cheapest unlocked iPhone that works internationally.

CWT1965

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2010

He will

I will get a tattoo of I Love Steve Ballmer done if Steve Jobs does not do at least part of the keynote

Hedrush

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2011

Zunjine said:

This is odd, because...

Because that was 3 years ago and the iphone had no competition and they could afford to go without a re-design. Times change.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.