Apple Park Decorated With Rainbow Colors in Celebration of Steve Jobs and Formal Opening of Campus

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 17, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple Park is decorated with the colors of Apple's classic rainbow logo today in celebration of the formal opening of Apple's new headquarters, and as a tribute to its late co-founder Steve Jobs, who helped conceptualize the spaceship-like design of the main building on the campus prior to his death.

First and foremost, Apple has set up a stage with a rainbow arch within the inner circle of the main building, as we shared last week.

[​IMG]

The rainbow colors can further be seen on some stairs and walkways at Apple Park, on coffee cups at the Caffè Macs employee cafeteria, and on some of Apple's shuttle buses. Apple employees have also received classic Apple rainbow logo pins with the message "thank you for being part of what makes Apple, Apple."

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Apple's design chief Jony Ive reflected on the rainbow's significance in a recent interview:
    Rumors suggest that Lady Gaga will be making a special performance at Apple Park later today. The pop star has visited Apple before, having previously dropped by its Infinite Loop campus to visit Steve Jobs. Apple executive Eddy Cue recounted that experience in an interview with Steven Levy last year:
    Lady Gaga also performed at the iTunes Festival at the Roundhouse in London in 2013.

Apple employees began moving into Apple Park as early as the spring of 2017, but the process took many months, and some construction and landscaping also continued for quite some time. A recent drone video showed that the campus now looks lush and green, with hundreds of trees and a large central pond.

Lady Gaga's performance would in all likelihood be a private event for Apple employees.

Article Link: Apple Park Decorated With Rainbow Colors in Celebration of Steve Jobs and Formal Opening of Campus

2. twocents macrumors regular

twocents

The horror... the horror... definitely designed by Apple in California :p

3. Baymowe335 macrumors 601

Any way we can keep this clean? Or will everyone be a comedian/snark?

4. Mansu944 macrumors 6502a

5. Master Atrus macrumors regular

I want one of those pins ... anyone want to send me one?

6. meaning-matters macrumors 6502

meaning-matters

I remember the days of the rainbow Apple logo.
    Days on which Steve Jobs was in charge.

7. Kaibelf Suspended

Kaibelf

Because that was one of Apple's most famous logo styles.

8. JohnnyQuest macrumors 65816

JohnnyQuest

I'd give a limb to see Gaga perform at Apple HQ.

9. lagunab macrumors newbie

I have no lack of criticism of how Apple has become lame since Jobs died but I have to say the spaceship campus is an outstanding piece. Now Apple has to live up to it. I like the rainbows but they might have overdone it a bit. Apple is a very progressive company. That said they really should pay their store help proportional to their contributions. (did I cover enough topics?) :)

10. Mansu944 macrumors 6502a

Is it?

11. keysofanxiety, May 17, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2019

keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

Yes, but not for long — only since the late ‘70s through to the early 2000s.

12. bpeeps macrumors 68030

bpeeps

Yes it is, since you seem to need further clarification.

13. eightdotthree macrumors newbie

Oldest, not most famous.

14. markaceto macrumors regular

markaceto

How is this idiot still employed???

15. ferdinandcc macrumors member

It’s not the oldest, though. Just the first to use the iconic apple shape. (Even the apple shape was altered a bit over the years—it started out much more awkward than what we have now.)

16. richpjr macrumors 68040

richpjr

I understand the historical significance for the company, but that is truly hideous.

17. FightTheFuture macrumors 65816

FightTheFuture

SJ would never tread in the past. That said I love seeing this.

18. Deefuzz macrumors 6502a

Deefuzz

Wow that must be a vibrant environment to be working in. Those stairs really POP with such color surrounded by the white on both sides. I really dig it!

19. Applebot1 macrumors 6502a

More like celebrating watch straps! My guess is Steve wouldn’t like this.

20. Kaibelf Suspended

Kaibelf

Then just decline your invitation to attend or ignore it when you're there.

21. NickName99 macrumors 6502

NickName99

Love it! So fun to see the old rainbowish logo referenced in this way.

I like this old Jean-Louis Gassée quote:
    “One of the deep mysteries to me is our logo, the symbol of lust and knowledge, bitten into, all crossed with the colors of the rainbow in the wrong order. You couldn’t dream a more appropriate logo: lust, knowledge, hope and anarchy.”

BBC9968E-72FB-4CBA-9CFD-925FED7E32F7.jpeg

22. Queen6 macrumors 604

Queen6

Flying over the rainforest at dawn - Priceless
    I really liked Apple's Rainbow motif, sadly replaced with well nothing these days. So much for Thinking Different, Following Others might be more appropriate now...

Q-6

23. NickName99 macrumors 6502

NickName99

Steve Jobs actually retired the colorful logo in 1998, the year after he returned to Apple.

24. OneBagTravel macrumors 6502a

OneBagTravel

Talk about a mixed signal. Here we have a memory of what made Apple unique and great yet it seems lately everything Apple does has been outside of thinking different. Failed to launch products, canceled airport lineup, limited hardware releases and refreshes, and an over abundance of social activism. The era of the multicolored apple logo is long gone as a focused tech firm pairing hardware and software together brilliantly seems to value their image over their products.

Sorry for the cynicism, I'm just taken aback by this move from Apple to praise a period that's long gone.

25. Eduardo1971 macrumors 65816

Eduardo1971

Wow! That looks really awesome. Wish I could be there!