Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has paid over $25 million for the rights to upcoming movie "CODA," setting a new Sundance Film Festival acquisition record, reports Deadline.

Apple-TV-Ray-Light-2-Blue.jpg

Directed and written by Siân Heder, "CODA" stars actress Emilia Jones as Ruby, the only hearing individual in her deaf family. As her high school years come to an end, Ruby is torn between staying at home to help family or heading off to college to pursue her dreams.

Deadline reports that a "pitched battle" between Apple and Amazon took place for the film's worldwide rights. The $25+ million deal set a new record for a film acquisition at this year's virtual Sundance Film Festival, beating last year's $22.5 million acquisition from Hulu/Neon for the film "Palm Springs."

Apple TV+‌‌ has been available for free since November 2019 for those who purchased an eligible Apple device in September 2019 or later. Apple recently announced plans to extend all ‌‌Apple TV+‌‌ free trials until July 2021, giving the company more time to present original content to viewers.

Apple TV+ is priced at $4.99 per month or $49.99 per year in the United States, but Apple is currently crediting paid subscribers as well.

Article Link: Apple Pays $25+ Million for Worldwide Rights to Upcoming Film 'CODA'

Last edited:

MrTechAdvice

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2020
United States of America
This is a good step in the right direction. Apple TV+ is amazing. But the library is weak. Apple TV+ should release 24 NEW shows per year. Apple TV+ should release 24 movies per year with 10 being big box office films. Apple should continue to snag up these cheaper and indie movies to help build its library. If this can happen they'll eventually gain interest.

Dr.Seb

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2020
Sounds interesting, but the plot can be tricky. But people love it, so probably a good buy.

Osamede

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2009

Apple has paid over $25 million for the rights to upcoming movie "CODA," setting a new Sundance Film Festival acquisition record, reports Deadline.

Apple-TV-Ray-Light-2-Blue.jpg

Directed and written by Siân Heder, "CODA" stars actress Emilia Jones as Ruby, the only hearing individual in her deaf family. As her high school years come to an end, Ruby is torn between staying at home to help family or heading off to college to pursue her dreams.

Deadline reports that a "pitched battle" between Apple and Amazon took place for the film's worldwide rights. The $25+ million deal set a new record for a film acquisition at this year's virtual Sundance Film Festival, beating last year's $22.5 million acquisition from Hulu/Neon for the film "Palm Springs."

Apple TV+‌‌ has been available for free since November 2019 for those who purchased an eligible Apple device in September 2019 or later. Apple recently announced plans to extend all ‌‌Apple TV+‌‌ free trials until July 2021, giving the company more time to present original content to viewers.

Apple TV+ is priced at $4.99 per month or $49.99 per year in the United States, but Apple is currently crediting paid subscribers as well.

Article Link: Apple Pays $25+ Million for Worldwide Rights to Upcoming Film 'CODA'
Two other pieces of relevant news:
- Apple profits and bonuses are at all time high levels
-the majority of “Apple TV+ “ so-called “subscribers” are on “free trial subscriptions”, many of those extended after they declined to pay

In other words you and me and others who buy Apple devices are underwriting this gigantic throwing away of money on a triviality.

Sadly such plain speaking is glaringly absent from what purports to be a publication dedicated to enlightening the buyers of Apple’s products..,

Whathappened

Suspended
Mar 15, 2018
Or about the equivalent of 417,000 yearly (monthly payments) paying subscriptions (without considering extra costs).
Or about the equivalent of 417,000 yearly (monthly payments) paying subscriptions (without considering extra costs).
Or about half a Dollar from every iPhone they sold during the last quarter.

sideshowuniqueuser

macrumors 68020
Mar 20, 2016
Or about half a Dollar from every iPhone they sold during the last quarter.
So how many movies do they have to buy until their biggest selling product is no longer profitable.... and how many do they have to buy to start earning prescription money? I'm sure someone has crunched the numbers, but I'm not convinced their curating is on the money, a lot of shows all appealing to the same narrow audience.

derekamoss

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
Houston, TX
Then you watch all the movies once and that boring mandalorian thing and never log into Disney plus again.
except for you know, all of star wars, all marvel movies, pixar and other disney movies along with natonal geographic (the world according to jeff goldblum). People buy disney+ because they 1. have a huge catalogue of pre existing franchises that they want or 2. They have kids which makes Disney Plus worth way more. Apple pretty much has.... Tad Lasso, which I admit is great and worth subscribing for 1 month to watch but after that there is nothing to fall back too. If I can watch the complete media library of a streaming service in 1 week, that's kinda a problem.

Last edited:

Johnny907

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2014
Then you watch all the movies once and that boring mandalorian thing and never log into Disney plus again.
I log in to Disney+ every other day at least. I haven’t touched Apple TV+ since... I honestly don’t even remember. I have no plans on it either until the entire second season of For All Mankind is available because to heck with that weekly nonsense.

bassanoclapper

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2008
London
Two other pieces of relevant news:
- Apple profits and bonuses are at all time high levels
-the majority of “Apple TV+ “ so-called “subscribers” are on “free trial subscriptions”, many of those extended after they declined to pay

In other words you and me and others who buy Apple devices are underwriting this gigantic throwing away of money on a triviality.

Sadly such plain speaking is glaringly absent from what purports to be a publication dedicated to enlightening the buyers of Apple’s products..,
The hottest of hot takes
<sarcasm emoji>

Kierkegaarden

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2018
USA
Stop with the feature length films. Stick with serials that are released each week. Don’t drop all episodes all at once. Buy the rights to a book series and develop a serial out of it. Take an event in history and develop a serial around it. Create your own production company and directly hire directors. Serial!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.