Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
That is what I am waiting for years now. A small Mac Pro with only 2 bays for harddrives and only one slot for a graphics card, but with the same power than a Mac Pro.

Remember the Quadra 700?
Let the form factor speculation commence!

A dockable pad?

A touch Lion Pad

A mini-tower

A pro with blades

A much smaller mini (nano)

A necklace

Head's up Mac

Talk among yourselves and make those models!

Rocketman

Macdeez

macrumors member
May 10, 2011
Leeds, UK.
But apple have all 3 kinds of computer in both desktop and laptop form.

Mac Pros are powerful desktops, Macbook Pros are powerful laptops.
iMacs are your average desktops, Macbooks are your average laptops.
Mac Minis are light usage desktops, Macbook Airs are your light usage laptops.

What else can they introduce that is different from all 6 products I just listed?

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
Given that fingers have been around for much longer than the computer mouse, I would say they are far more proven and reliable. There is nothing more natural than manipulating content with our fingers. Humans have been doing it for a long time.

Ever since the first ape picked up a rock and banged it against another rock human beings have been using tools to accomplish many tasks. Our fingers are not always the best tool for the job. What may be "natural" is not always the best. As far as I know the Mona Lisa wasn't painted with fingers.

Anyway, everyone can see it will be the iCentipad.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
LOL the last thing the corporate world needs is more MS-ware.

That entire paradigm is due for a major refresh.

Yea, thats entirely what businesses want, to have to redesign all their expensive software, to suddenly have to replace all their projectors and monitors, or buy hundreds of thousands of VGA + HDMI adapters.

To put themselves at the mercy of a company who won't allow their IT guys to repair the machines themselves, who will insist they send it back, wait a few weeks and have it returned. To leave themselves so vulnerable to a company that doesn't care about compatibility with older devices, which stops supporting an older OS pretty much the instant the new one comes out. To have to buy machines that cost nearly twice as much just to get the same job done.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
Oh no, not the touchscreen Mac, NOOOOO!!!!! :eek:

It looks like my nightmare might come true.

Either that or Apple is making a cheap Mac starting at $250 like Dell does.

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
Wow, this is poorly written.

Adding a new model to the existing Mac product line and planning an entirely new Mac product line are two completely different things.

Moving to an entirely new product line would mean killing off the MacBook, MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, iMac, Mac mini, and Mac Pro then creating entirely new devices without similar designs.

nylonsteel

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2010
re lost in translation

"According to a rough translation provided with the original Japanese version,..."

the passage from the original article reminds me of revisiting the movie last night of
"lost in translation" - 2003 - bill murray and scarlett johansson
good movie btw

"suntory time..." - lost in translation

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
Yea, thats entirely what businesses want, to have to redesign all their expensive software, to suddenly have to replace all their projectors and monitors, or buy hundreds of thousands of VGA + HDMI adapters.

To put themselves at the mercy of a company who won't allow their IT guys to repair the machines themselves, who will insist they send it back, wait a few weeks and have it returned. To leave themselves so vulnerable to a company that doesn't care about compatibility with older devices, which stops supporting an older OS pretty much the instant the new one comes out. To have to buy machines that cost nearly twice as much just to get the same job done.

The Mac systems' structures are way better than MS stuff. I'd pay extra for an OS that actually makes sense and doesn't have so many security breaches.

Rivix

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2005
Please don't touch the iMac or the optical drive or make it a stupid touch screen.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
Wow, this is poorly written.

Adding a new model to the existing Mac product line and planning an entirely new Mac product line are two completely different things.

Moving to an entirely new product line would mean killing off the MacBook, MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, iMac, Mac mini, and Mac Pro then creating entirely new devices without similar designs.

Maybe they're bringing back the iBook, PowerBook, PowerMac, Cube, and....keeping the iMac?

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
Please don't touch the iMac or the optical drive or make it a stupid touch screen.

Don't touch the optical drive? Seriously, I got an HP disc stuck in my iMac's optical drive a couple of weeks ago, and it won't come out.

They should use the slot-loading mechanism that the Wii uses, which is more stable and can read mini cds.

Bluenose17

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2008
The mysterious transition...

Could this be the start of the quote in last months conference call:

Q: 12% downtick in revenue guidance is more than usual. Why?
A: Let me start with the units. For education buying season, September is weighted toward higher education, and we expect increases there. We also expect increases in iPhone, etc. There is also a future product transition that we are not going to talk about today. Those factors are already in our guidance. Confident in our pipeline. Tim Cook talking about some cannibalization of Mac by iPad. But also cannibalizing Windows. Very happy with 14% growth in Mac. :cool:

NewGenAdam

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2008
Ever since the first ape picked up a rock and banged it against another rock human beings have been using tools to accomplish many tasks. Our fingers are not always the best tool for the job. What may be "natural" is not always the best. As far as I know the Mona Lisa wasn't painted with fingers.

Anyway, everyone can see it will be the iCentipad.

Yeah but the ape didn't use a rock to hold the other rock - he used his hands to hold the rock directly...

You seem so boxed into the old standards of having a mouse that you've forgotten what a mouse is for: using something.

A mouse is not an end in itself; it is a means. It's a tool which lets us use another tool, through an interface.

Don't forget that a computer is a tool. If we can use our hands directly rather than indirectly, this is an improvement to the simplicity and usability of the technology.

The only costs are to precision and obscuring the display - I'd say that's worth it, particularly for a portable...

Damtoft

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2010
Macbook Touch

macbook_touch.jpg

macbook_touch6.jpg

dernhelm

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2002
middle earth
Speculation

Maybe they're bringing back a server product that isn't a traditional XServe. Something to help build a cloud infrastructure?

<grin>

Ok - so it has to be a consumer thing. Not a Pad form factor, but also not just an iMac with a touchscreen. That isn't a whole new line that's just a big update to an existing line. The biggest gap in their lineup has always been a pro-sumer desktop machine. But it seems weird to make one now, especially when desktop sales have plummeted to an all-time low.

My guess would be some sort of appliance-type device. Perhaps a headless home media server?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.