Apple Preparing Fix for Glitch Causing Lightning EarPods Remote to Stop Working

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 19, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple is working on a fix for an issue that can cause the new Lightning EarPods designed for the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus to stop working properly, the company said in a statement given to Business Insider.

When using the EarPods, there's an occasional bug that can cause the remote portion of the accessory to become unresponsive. While audio will continue to play, the remote does not work, so there's no way to control the volume, access Siri, or answer a phone call.

[​IMG]
    Apple plans to issue a fix in an upcoming software update, but there's no word on when it might be released. Business Insider is not sure if third-party Lightning-based headphones are affected, but there have been reports of similar bugs with the Lightning adapter. Some headphones, such as Beats headphones with a 3.5mm connector, appear to have a non-functional remote when plugged into an iPhone with the Lightning adapter.

Because the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus do not have a headphone jack, Apple shipped the devices with a set of EarPods that feature a Lightning connector instead of a 3.5mm headphone jack. The EarPods plug into the Lightning port, making it more difficult to charge and listen to music at the same time. Apple has also included a 3.5mm to Lightning adapter for customers who want to use their own headphones.

Article Link: Apple Preparing Fix for Glitch Causing Lightning EarPods Remote to Stop Working

2. WiiDSmoker macrumors 65816

WiiDSmoker

My 3.55mm headphones work just fine on my 6S. Shouldn't have changed it to a proprietary port.

3. moeafg macrumors member

Whoever is doing software testing at Apple is pretty rubbish. Tim Cook if you are reading this, hire me and I will teach you the ways of the software test.

4. Totti macrumors member

5. JoEw macrumors 65816

JoEw

As much as I support the elimination of the headphone jack, I find it amazing Apple's QA managed to drop the ball on this.

6. developer13245 macrumors 6502

developer13245

Apple is in total software fail mode at this point.. but of course they are because Apple is a hardware company.

7. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Happens on my Klipsch from time to time. Usually if I unplug and replug once or twice, it kicks back in.

8. penajmz macrumors 68030

penajmz

Get over it or don't get an iPhone 7.

9. 920R macrumors newbie

920R

Another example of Apple fixing something that's not broken and, in the process, breaking it.

10. shaunp macrumors 65816

You could work for Apple's marketing department with that attitude! Customers hate it when something useful is courageously removed in the name of 'progress'.

11. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

12. Zirel Suspended

Zirel

Exactly the response I expected.

Right on the first post!

13. jwdsail macrumors 6502

But .. I thought digital was... better?

Sometimes, an old standard continues to be used, not just because of inertia, or lack of "courage" (barf) but because it really is the best solution for the task at hand.

Not often, but it does indeed happen, from time to time...

apple.com/feedback

14. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

15. Zirel Suspended

Zirel

Better be that than a advertising company (Google), or an expensive explosives company (Samsung)

16. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Welcome to the age of firmware updates for your headphones. Get ready for 'this device is not authorized' warnings as your perfectly functional headphones are made obsolete.

17. simon lefisch macrumors 6502a

simon lefisch

literally LOL'd in the office when I read this and everyone looked at me all weird.

18. 555gallardo macrumors regular

555gallardo

Remember how the 3.5mm jack used to "just work"?

19. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

The remote stops working on my 6S Plus sometimes. I always thought it was my Bose headphones acting up but maybe it's the same bug. The remote works 90% of the time but the other 10% the volume or on off controls don't work and music keeps playing even if I unplug the headphones.

20. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

The 3.5mm jack will be around for another 100 years...

So far the removal of the jack has been nothing but a pain in the ass all around.

21. mr.steevo macrumors 65816

mr.steevo

I had to take my 6S just last week because it was doing this exact thing. Was getting sound but no controls.

Amazing what pocket lint does to a 3.5mm port.

22. Porco macrumors 68030

Porco

A shorter title could have been: 'Lightning Strikes'.

23. KeepCalmPeople macrumors 65816

KeepCalmPeople

Perhaps it would have been better if Apple had designed a 1/16" micro headphone jack rather than this.

24. Kissaragi macrumors 68020

Someone is a realist that has more important things in life to worry about.