Apple Preparing Fix for Glitch Causing Lightning EarPods Remote to Stop Working

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 19, 2016.

1. dv8r macrumors 6502

dv8r

Apple does not make computers anymore, they did a couple of years ago, but it seems they stopped...

2. daviddth macrumors 6502a

daviddth

It's not the quality - I am happy enough with the quality of a good bluetooth or Lightning connection, it's the actual connector that I have an issue with. Over the years headphone cords have gone from something you plug into your amp at home to a portable device that is often found in pockets. Headphone manufacturers have adapted and have created right angled plugs, or those that are very flexible as they exit the phone. Combined with the sturdiness of the 3.5mm plug inserted into the phone this made breaking the leads near impossible when put in a pocket and having lateral force applied to it

Fast forward to the Lightning connector which is huge, long, and not very sturdy. Applying force will easily snap the connector in the phone, and possibly damage the phone in the process, I have seen a minor news report already about people breaking the new earbuds, but cant find anything much from major news organisations, but it will happen.

3. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

Might as well. In for a penny, in for a pound.

4. Mac 128 macrumors 601

Mac 128

They already have Right angled lightning adapters. Don't know if they support audio, but you can bet someone is working in this now ...

5. daviddth macrumors 6502a

daviddth

I saw one that was just charging only, but with luck....

6. jwdsail macrumors 6502

Um, so the jack wasn't the problem, the *broken* headphones were then, right? So the fault wasn't the jack, so much as the defective/crappy made in china headphones.... right? And if the Lightning EarPods develop a similar fault at the connector end, you know, the stress point in most all headphones, they won't work at all.

How is this an improvement again?

7. Greymacuser macrumors regular

Greymacuser

Oh, and a missing headphone jack needlessly removed just to push a new Apple EarPods on us. That's a new low for Tim Kook.

8. daviddth macrumors 6502a

daviddth

Because it's digital? I agree though, you have a reasonably strong headphone connector that has developed and adapted over the years, and it rarely fails or puts undue stress on the device it plugs into.

Now how many of you here have had to replace a lightning cable? We have 4 iPh0nes and 3 iPads using the Lightning cables and one iPad with the old 40 pin connector. With chargers in 3 cars, at work, and a number at home I think I replace one cable every second week as it fails in some way. I gave up replacing them with Apples cables long ago as they were lasting only a few months in the cars before they failed (I think it was the heat of Australian Summers that killed them).

9. tentales macrumors 6502a

tentales

Aren't we all and I do wish them well, but inevitably internal politics and bureaucracy has a way of introducing feature-creep and blurry vision of the mission.

Unlike other big companies, Apple came back from the brink in 1997 and acted like a disruptor the 2nd time around.
    They need to catch their 3rd wind, somehow, thru someone. Not sure that will be Cook, but whoever it is, hopefully that cash horde will be put to good use and not just a glorious spaceship HQ.

10. javescobar macrumors newbie

I think it is an iOS 10 thing. I was a beta tester since beta 1 and the same bug happened from time to time on my 6s with regular Apple EarPods

11. jpme226 macrumors newbie

I guess I understand that new products can have unexpected issues, but it seems like they would have tested for this since it directly relates to one of the biggest changes in the phone. Feels a little shoddy to me. I can totally live without a headphone jack, as long as the alternative actually functions, which in this case is still up in the air. Good news is that while you can't listen to anything, at Least you have text message confetti!!!

12. Jsameds macrumors 68030

Sigh.

13. macintoshmac macrumors 68000

macintoshmac

Apart from the depth, how exactly is one port different from the other where entry of lint is concerned?

14. WilliamG macrumors G3

I've never had once had an issue with Lightning ports being THAT filled with lint, and never had a connectivity issue with the port. 3.5mm? All the time.

15. macintoshmac macrumors 68000

macintoshmac

Very interesting. I never found lint in the 3.5mm jack in my phone, or the lightning port for that matter. However, have found a stray strand once in my father's iPhone (lightning) and on multiple occasions in my 4s 30-pin wide welcoming slot. :D

16. Ciclismo macrumors 6502a

Ciclismo

Except it happened once with a car (2014 Audi A3), and twice with different headsets on a rather expensive Sony Walkman. But thanks for trying to shoot down my comment so you maintain the feeling that your opinion is infallible.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 21, 2016 ---
    I've had a 3.5mm jack fill with enough lint to cause issues, but nowhere near as quick as a lightning port.

17. daviddth macrumors 6502a

daviddth

Total opposite here. Always cleaning out the Lightning port, but never had to clean out the earphone port, and I use earphones a LOT on my 2 year old iPhone 6

18. falainber macrumors 6502

falainber

But right angled lightning adapter will be more prone to breaking (than 3.5mm one) because it can't rotate.

19. Mac 128 macrumors 601

Mac 128

Neither can rotate, but at least the right angle reduces the height profile of the Lightning plug so it's less likely to be put into a situation to break.

20. daviddth macrumors 6502a

daviddth

The 3.5mm can easily rotate as the shaft of the 3.5mm jack provides a perfect pivot point, so if the cord is pulled or bumped at a right angle the 3.5mm jack just rotates and you never notice. If the same thing happens to the lightning jack it resists the force until it simply breaks, possibly damaging the lightning connection in the process

21. Mac 128 macrumors 601

Mac 128

Again, what's the use case? The whole point of the right angle connector is create a low-profile connection to take the strain and minimize pressure applied to a plug sticking straight out of the bottom. So there shouldn't be a lot of front to back motion to torque the connector, especially in a pocket. But in that same application there would be considerable opportunity for a long plug to encounter opposing forces.

22. daviddth macrumors 6502a

daviddth

Phone in pocket, or on table and pull cables at right angles to the plug. If you pull it towards the front of the phone then that's probably the worst way for the Lightning as it will create a twisting force on the plug itself, as well as the casing that will be required to house the electronics. The same thing with the 3.5mm and it will rotate and then put the strain onto the wires and cable attachment point in the plug. The pressure on such a long 3.5mm plug wont put excessive pressure on the audio plug due to the size and length

Now lets pull straight down away from the phone, so the phone is upside down in your pocket and you pull on headphone cord. The 3.5mm will simply disconnect - been there and done that hundreds of times. While I think the Lighting plug will do the same in its current design, the right angle plug might actually cause the Lightning plug to try to rotate across its width and thus jam it in a little tighter. We wont really know till we see this in the wild I guess

An option to counter this might be a Lightning plug with just the plug and a very low height very flexible rubber cable guard that can easily be bent 90/180 degrees just millimetres up the cable from the lightning plug. Then just a couple of cm up the lead have a small "lump" to house the electronics for the headphones. That way you move the mass in the lightning plug up away from the base of the phone where it would cause the issues. The only problem then is designing a small enough lightning plug with adequate flexibility and strain relief for the cables

23. Mac 128, Sep 21, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2016

Mac 128 macrumors 601

Mac 128

I can't imagine the phone on a table scenario -- what's holding the phone such that the cable could do any damage if pulled up 90 degrees? And the pocket is where I'm least concerned. Slip the phone in with the connector bottom down and there's no problem. There's far more likelihood of the Lightning connector snapping off if you carry the phone upside down in a pocket and sit down for instance.

I agree a better connector should be devised, but we're talking about what's available, and I'd rather take my chances with a low-profile, right-angle adapter. But since that doesn't exist either, I guess we'll see how many broken Lightning plugs there are reported soon.

Maybe something like this in the interim: http://www.mode-al.com/product_detail.php/product/iPad Lightning Reverse Cable

[​IMG]

24. Teon macrumors regular

Teon

you are heretic?

25. daviddth macrumors 6502a

daviddth

Lol. I still have a Nokia with a 1.something mm headphone - lost the adapter about a month after I got the phone :(

I think anything that's not a standard size is a flop in terms of headphone connections