Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Vision Pro customers will likely be pushed to pick up the device at an Apple Store, Bloomberg's Mark Gurman reports.

vision-pro-components.jpg

In October, Gurman reported that Apple was in the process of inviting retail store employees from each Apple Store in the United States to Cupertino, California to receive training on using and selling the Vision Pro headset. Apple apparently sent a memo to retail employees asking them to apply for the "secretive" event, with acceptance dependent on an application and interview process. An extract from the memo read:
Selected team members will travel and participate in an event in Cupertino, California, at some point in the first months of 2024. Upon returning to their home store, they'll deliver training and ongoing support to store team members. This is a group opportunity for those who have a deep passion for demonstrating Apple products and teaching others.

In the latest "Power On" newsletter, Gurman said that these seminars are now being scheduled with staff training set to start in mid-January. Each Apple Store employee in attendance will receive two days of training, featuring instructions on the Vision Pro's setup process, approaching a customer, and placing the device on a user's head. Gurman previously said that flagship retail stores are set to gain dedicated Vision Pro hands-on areas, while other stores will only receive one or two units.

Gurman noted that "while customers will be able to reserve a Vision Pro online, it increasingly sounds like they'll be pushed to pick up the device at a store" with an appointment. Apple is planning to assemble customers' Vision Pro headsets in-store, compiling the appropriate headband, light seal, and optional prescription lenses. Retail stores are purportedly due to receive new equipment to assemble and package the headset in the near future.

Gurman still believes that the device will likely be released before March. Apple simply says that the Vision Pro headset will launch in "early" 2024.

Article Link: Apple Preparing to Push Vision Pro Customers to Pick Up at an Apple Store

Last edited:

spaxxedout

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2018
Apple Watch training sessions in Cupertino / Austin were in February for an April release (2015). Lots of people on Weibo are speculating on January launch.

uller6

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
I have almost every Apple product. I’ve been a fan since my first Apple iiCX back in the early 90s. But this is the first time I have zero interest in an Apple device. It feels like a solution in search of a problem, and is being pushed by investors rabid for the “next big thing” to keep the stock price inflated. I’m not going to buy one…

sesnir

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2008
Nope - I wouldn't be spending thousands on something to have someone else open it in a store and touch it before I do.
Exactly this

That always bugged me when they open it and handle it in front of me. Don’t rob my unboxing experience where I take a dozen photos as I slowly open the box lol

I can go into the store for a fitting if I must, so that I get the right strap etc but not opening mine in the store

JCCL

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2010
Well at least wouldn’t expect this to cause huge crowds or lines, just some curious people passing by

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
While people in the Apple Store take pictures of you and posting it without your permission on all social media sites.

This needs to be one of the first apps for Vision Pro. Turn the front visor into one of those things that strobes light into cameras.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I have almost every Apple product. I’ve been a fan since my first Apple iiCX back in the early 90s. But this is the first time I have zero interest in an Apple device. It feels like a solution in search of a problem, and is being pushed by investors rabid for the “next big thing” to keep the stock price inflated. I’m not going to buy one…

It's an entirely new category for most people. I suggest not judging it too early. Apple took their time to do a Mixed-Reality headset better than anything on the market.

Is the high price influencing your position? If it was $400, would you feel differently? Given the incredible technology built in, they are probably losing money on the first several thousands of units sold. It's a long-term vision (pun intended).

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I’m skipping this one and wait for the 2nd gen. What’s the point of buying this when there aren’t any apps.

There's going to be thousands of apps ready to use on it. Most iOS apps will run on it as-is, and there will be many apps built specifically for it. Got a Mac? Your entire Mac can run on it, too. So no shortage of apps.

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
Exactly this

That always bugged me when they open it and handle it in front of me. Don’t rob my unboxing experience where I take a dozen photos as I slowly open the box lol

I can go into the store for a fitting if I must, so that I get the right strap etc but not opening mine in the store
Rob your unboxing experience? lol what?? Surely it's about your enjoyment using what you've purchased, not the 'unboxing' nonsense that all ends up in the trash anyway. Clearly you are on a wind up and I've taken the bait.

freediverx00

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2020
This has already been discussed to death, but jumping in to say that you can't judge the potential of a new product category based entirely on its version 1.0 model. If not for the absurdly high price point, I think a very large number of people would be interested in a headset that could simulate the experience of watching a movie in a huge IMAX theater or perhaps working on a large display Mac without the need for said display. And looking further into the future, the day when the product can be shrunken down to the size of a pair of sunglasses will be a game changer.

One might argue that Apple should have waited until the tech was ready to produce a smaller and more affordable version, but that's like arguing Apple shouldn't have released the first Macintosh or Apple Watch until years later, which most would agree would've been a mistake.

freediverx00

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2020
There's going to be thousands of apps ready to use on it. Most iOS apps will run on it as-is, and there will be many apps built specifically for it. Got a Mac? Your entire Mac can run on it, too. So no shortage of apps.
That was the basis for my original excitement. But I think this will be more of an iPad experience than a Mac experience. As such, it will have limited utility as a laptop/desktop alternative, which is ironically where I think much of its potential lies.

freediverx00

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2020
I’m not a fan of buying electronics in store. I hate the experience
In the early days of Apple retail (pre-iPhone), visiting an Apple Store was a delight for fans of the company. The stores were much smaller and not quite as opulent, but they were also quiet and staffed with very knowledgeable sales reps who would spend time with you discussing the product without the noise and distractions we have today. If you visit a Leica store today, that's very close to what the experience was at Apple stores back then.

But I agree that visiting an Apple Store today isn't a particularly pleasant experience beyond trying out some new product in person. I find myself wanting to leave as soon as possible to escape the crowds and the noise.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.