Apple Preparing to Seed Developer Builds of Mac OS X 10.6.5

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

MacRumors has received word that Apple is gearing up to begin seeding certain developers with builds of Mac OS X 10.6.5, the fifth maintenance release for Mac OS X Snow Leopard. While the release has undoubtedly been under development for some time, only now is it approaching a state where it is ready for testing by third-party developers. Through the testing program, Apple will gain feedback on areas where it has made changes as well as other areas requiring its attention, allowing the company to tweak things until it is satisfied enough to make a public release of the update.

The length of time any one update spends in developer testing is highly variable, and thus we do not yet have an estimation of when Mac OS X 10.6.5 might become available to the general public. We do believe, however, that the first developers to get their hands on the testing builds may see something later this week.

Mac OS X 10.6.4 was released in mid-June and brought fixes for a number of issues.

Article Link: Apple Preparing to Seed Developer Builds of Mac OS X 10.6.5

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
It seems to be a massive rumor day for Apple today :) Always good to see an update.

CIA

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
I'm just going to lay this out:

10.7, whenever we see it, is going to be REALLY jolting to long time mac users. Given the direction that the company is heading with consumer devices and iOS, I think 10.7 is going to be a lot of that, and not much else.

Touch everywhere.

alakazzam

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2010
MA
Good to know, I think this update is clearly for the upcoming imacs :]
I agree with you. The new iMac's are definitely going to be part of the reason for this update. Lets hope we get some updated graphics card drivers please :(

hassoon

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2009
hope they just send the next update not be a 600+ Mb i didn't update my mac to 10.6.4 'cause the internet connection in my country is extremely slow and it goes off every now n then ! :S

macpro2000

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2005
Love to see updates...although between home and work I have 10 machines to update. Takes a while. :)

thertrain

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2005
I'm just going to lay this out:

10.7, whenever we see it, is going to be REALLY jolting to long time mac users. Given the direction that the company is heading with consumer devices and iOS, I think 10.7 is going to be a lot of that, and not much else.

Touch everywhere.
You are completely right. I would not be surprised if OS X 10.7 never sees the light of day. iOS 5 will be the Apple OS and will be expandable to all platforms.

Just my personal though.

kgeier82

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2008
You are completely right. I would not be surprised if OS X 10.7 never sees the light of day. iOS 5 will be the Apple OS and will be expandable to all platforms.

Just my personal though.
iOS 5 for Mac
iOS 5 for iPad
iOS 5 for iPhone
iOS 5 for iPod

Bingo. Unification.

Auchron

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2009
Preparation for the rumoured iLife '11?

Leopard required a special update 10.5.6 to run iLife '09. Interesting that in one day we hear rumours about both iLife '11 and a new seed for Mac OS X 10.6.5.

reubs

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2006
I hope this fixes this mysterious keyboard dropouts and the airport dropout issues (or has that been narrowed down to a router problem?). Either way, updates are good.

I'm not in the camp that thinks everything is going touch-screen just yet...

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
Release notes for the next build of Snow Leopard:

- This update fixes the fact that Snow Leopard is slow, buggy and unreliable overall, and makes it almost as good as Leopard used to be.

Mattie Num Nums

macrumors 68030
Mar 5, 2009
USA
Another one already!!!

This is getting really tough for people that run IT infrastructures. Hopefully, they will actually fix some nagging issues (smb, dns, vpn, drivers, kerberos, and ad binding.)

MartiNZ

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2008
Auckland, New Zealand
I might as well go for the same requests as always: SMB browsing improvements (no they didn't quite sort it with 10.6.4); iTunes dashboard widget fixes so it doesn't crash on demand (as it has done since at least iTunes 8's release).

It would be nice to get 'Forward' ability in Finder's toolbar on text only mode, but I've moved to icon only now so don't notice it so much.

Oh and fixes to the graphics drivers that they were supposed to fix but by some accounts broke with 10.6.4. I guess I'll wait until a few hours from now when I see how sc2 really performs on my '08 MBP and then start wanting specific improvements :D.

Mattie Num Nums

macrumors 68030
Mar 5, 2009
USA

- This update fixes the fact that Snow Leopard is slow, buggy and unreliable overall, and makes it almost as good as Leopard used to be.
Magically delicious.

I might as well go for the same requests as always: SMB browsing improvements
Apples response... get an Apple File Server.

We're slowly migrating to ExtremeZI-P because Apple+SMB=Nightmare.

MartiNZ

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2008
Auckland, New Zealand
Where is 10.7? :eek:

Integrated Intel graphics chip steals power from the CPU and siphons off memory from system-level RAM. You'd have to buy an extra card to get the graphics performance of Mac Mini
Your signature there reminded me I saw yesterday Intel HD integrated graphics being marketed as saving physical space and increasing energy efficiency. I guess they have to come at it from some angle :).

Apples response... get an Apple File Server.

We're slowly migrating to ExtremeZI-P because Apple+SMB=Nightmare.
Surely you mean 'bag of hurt'!

petvas

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2006
Mannheim, Germany

Snow Leopard is very stable on my Mac Pro and I have no issues whatsoever. I do not understand how you can just say that it isn't stable without explaining the issues you are having.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
Hmm, the timing does provide some creditability to both iMac/MacPro being updated soon. It is likely that Apple is holding off the first beta until they announce the new hardware to prevent the leaks of new hardware information.

I just hope there's USB 3.0 support in 10.6.5.

mdriftmeyer

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2004
Pacific Northwest
I might as well go for the same requests as always: SMB browsing improvements (no they didn't quite sort it with 10.6.4); iTunes dashboard widget fixes so it doesn't crash on demand (as it has done since at least iTunes 8's release).

It would be nice to get 'Forward' ability in Finder's toolbar on text only mode, but I've moved to icon only now so don't notice it so much.

Oh and fixes to the graphics drivers that they were supposed to fix but by some accounts broke with 10.6.4. I guess I'll wait until a few hours from now when I see how sc2 really performs on my '08 MBP and then start wanting specific improvements :D.
Wake me up when Samba 4 is released.