Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kerryn

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2007
08_macbook_080114b.jpg

I hope it looks something like this!

As much as i love the whole White apple thing that is current. I do agree with comments that its starting to look a little dated.
Does anyone know anything about Apples decision to stop using the white? or is it just because of reasons i've stated?

Sorry but I like my white Macbook. That thing you came up with looks awful in my opinion.

Red111

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2005
I just hope that the new MB - MBPs don´t have any issues

Needless to say there are usually a good number of first version macs that have some sort of dissapointing defect. God when I got my brand new Powerbook 15 with a white spot the size of an coin in the middle of the screen due to unproper packing from apple side and they recalled like a few thousands of them but my serial number wasn´t one of the recalled units I almost killed myself.

Should the mini get an update??? More than one will agree with the fact that an dedicated graphic card and about 2 Gs of Ram sounds desirable. Needless to say you can´t ask that much for 600$. Sure you can buy a Pc box out therefor that much. And truth be told the mac mini was design as a switcher´s system. Nowadays you can run windows in every other mac so maybe they are dropping it altogether or replace it.

macbook123

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2006
It's time for a MBP refresh of design. What I hope most (but don't think will happen) is that they'll have an option without the internal optical drive, or at least that the thing will be less heavy (I think a lot of the weight comes from the drive), preferably on the order of 5 pounds for a 17 inch one.

hiptobesquare

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2003
Iowa
Call Apple. For that size order, you will be put in touch with a rep who can provide you with a timeframe.

Oh, I have a rep, and the order is not in question. The mechanics of the sale are well established, and not in jeopardy of any kind.

But I am sure I will hear complaints from users when I distribute the current model, if a new model arrives just weeks or a couple months later.

The same thing happens here on this forum.

"I just bought X, and now they've updated it, how can I get one of those instead?..."

Except in our business case, we have a deadline to order, and distribute, and not a whole lot of opportunity to change that product out, after that point. At least a private person with one machine can just e-bay it, take the hit, and buy a newer product, if so inclined. That is harder in a more controlled environment.

DrFrankTM

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2005
Japan
Im surprised no one mentioned anything about the future macbooks getting the touchpad gestures found in other laptop lines. I remember waiting for the last refresh, money in hand, only to be frustrated that Apple took such a cheap road with the macbook. Sometimes bumping up speed, etc. isn't enough and that's why i think the next macbook update is much more important as a milestone (in progress) compared to any possible MBP update. Plus, if Apple really want to compete with Sony et al it makes more sense to invest in its consumer lines than in hardcore pro product lines.

I totally agree. A multitouch trackpad on the MB is a big deal. It's a HUGE deal. And I don't want to buy a MacBook until it has that. A case redesign would be good as the current design has been around for a while, but it isn't half as important, as far as I'm concerned.

stone315

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2008
I think this may be the trend, considering there are so many options for digital downloads. Come to think of it, the last time I actually used my OD was three months ago. Just like the disk drives, it may take some time to get use to the change. :D

yeah but what about playing/burning dvds/cds? no one really uses cds any more, except for the random burn every now and then to give someone music or play it in a car sometimes, but i do like to be able to take a cd i bought in a store and put it on my computer. and i definitely would want an optical drive for watching movies and ripping/encoding dvds. i'd rather not pay $100 for a drive that should come with my computer.

edit: not to mention the portability issue of having to carry an external optical drive with you...

schubes

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2008
British Columbia
I would much rather a revision to the MB lineup than the MBP. Bring the MBs in line with the rest of Apple's lineup. (except iPhone 3G!) We are needing a new MB for school this year and are waiting to get the MB + iPod Touch deal. (Of course, get the rebate, and then sell it on eBay!) = a decently priced Apple Computer!

I've been waiting what seems like forever to get the upgrade....I just need it to come out before September....from the sounds of it that sounds likely...thank god I'm going crazy waiting.....

Definitely feeling this. Hope they can pull it off...

DrFrankTM

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2005
Japan
For everyone who is saying "I'll take a new laptop along with the iPod rebate." I might be wrong about this, but I seem to remember that the back to school rebate deals only apply to current hardware which means you won't be able to do that deal if a new MB, MBP, MBA is introduced. Isn't the entire point of the back to school thing to clear out old inventory and make room for the new stuff?

From the Canadian Education Store (although I assume it's the same in the U.S. and elsewhere):

PRODUCT ELIGIBILITY: This offer is available only on purchases of new products. All Macintosh computers and the Configure-to-order versions of these products are eligible, except for Mac mini. The iPod products listed below are eligible for participation in this offer. TO BE ELIGIBLE FOR THIS OFFER, BE CERTAIN THAT THE PRODUCT YOU PURCHASE HAS ONE OF THE APPLE PART NUMBERS LISTED BELOW. IF YOU ARE UNCERTAIN, PLEASE ASK YOUR SALESPERSON TO CONFIRM TO YOU THAT YOU ARE PURCHASING A PRODUCT THAT IS ELIGIBLE UNDER THIS OFFER. 4GB iPod nano, iPod shuffle, iPod classic, Mac mini, Apple TV, iPhone, and refurbished products are not eligible.

Therefore, I'm pretty sure new MBs and MBPs would be covered by the promotion.

NJPitcher

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2006
Heh, how about those of us still rollin on a Tibook with electrical tape holding the left hinge together...

Or those of us rolling on our apple II's, with monkeys and calculators doing 71% of the processing - don't ask me how I have internet...

Gunga Din

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2008
Old Trafford
I would love a new MBP.

I am not so concerned about the specs as I am about the case design. To be honest, all this talk of making it look like the MBA with tapered design and black keyboard makes me nervous. I'm not crazy about the MBA design but I know some people love it.

Yea, i'm with you. When i picked up my MBP in March I tried out the Mac Air and didnt like the feel of it as much. I guess its just gonna come down to personal preference, but the current MBP design is so damn perfect, its hard to believe they can improve on it much.

If they change much, its most likely just gonna be the keyboard and tapered edges like the Air.

Formativeyears

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2007
I actually sold my Blackbook a few weeks ago (mainly for financial reasons) but also because I suspected a Macbook case redesign was on the horizon. One thing that I absolutely loathed about the black Macbook case was how you couldn't even touch it without it looking dirty. Pick it up and carry it across the room and suddenly there are fingerprints everywhere. I also couldn't stand the razor sharp edges - definitely a step back from the smooth Ibook design.

ProwlingTiger

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2008
What are would the resell value be of current Macbooks if this were to happen? I'm looking at buying one, and I sorta need one soonish...

filmamigo

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto
I hope the MBP is out fast. My wife has some money earmarked for it, and has been waiting since before WWDC.

We tempted fate by going into the Apple store again last night. Love the performance of the MBP, and the exterior case. Hate the keyboard -- it looks so out of date compared to the MB, the Air and the new Apple KB.

The current MBP keys look like cheap silver spray-painted plastic crap.

chedda

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2006
Underwater
spectrum chicklet

History shows us the chicklet is next from the touch (pop) keyboard, strange how its gone full circle back to the chicklet days again in the current macbook and apple keyboard.I for one will miss the current mbp & powerbook keyboard i don't really think the design can ever be improved lol

Attachments

• 800px-ZXSpectrum48k.jpg
    800px-ZXSpectrum48k.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 94
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.