Apple Promotes iPhone XR's Battery Life in New Ad: 'You'll Lose Power Before It Will'

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 13, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple has shared a new ad titled "Up Late" on its YouTube channel that promotes the iPhone XR having the "longest battery life in an iPhone ever."

The 30-second spot shows various people falling asleep while using an iPhone, including a parking attendant streaming an Inter Milan game, a woman laying on a couch and playing a game, and a man sitting on the end of a bed and watching a baby monitor, setting up the tagline "you'll lose power before it will."

"iPhone XR has the longest battery life in an iPhone ever," the video description reads. "So whether you're streaming video, watching live sports or playing a game, you'll lose power before your iPhone XR will."

The ad is set to the soundtrack "Stay Awake" by Julie Andrews from the classic musical fantasy film "Mary Poppins."

Despite being cheaper than the iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max, the iPhone XR does in fact have the longest battery life of any iPhone ever thanks to its large 6.1-inch size and more power efficient LCD versus the OLED displays in the latter two devices.

Article Link: Apple Promotes iPhone XR's Battery Life in New Ad: 'You'll Lose Power Before It Will'

2. chooyoshi macrumors member

chooyoshi

Wait until Huawei and the Chinese oems respond with their 4000 and 5ooo mah batteries... even though that isn't how it really works.

The Chinese oems are notorious for being very strict with background processes to keep battery life in check.

3. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Massive selling point for this phone. I’d say the number one requested feature for any iPhone user, is more battery life, and even though this phone is a tad on the thicker side, I’d rather have the extended battery life with the Liquid Retina display, even if that means the phone is a little ‘bit thicker’.

4. recoil80 macrumors 68020

Yeah, this.
    I like my Xs, didn't go for the Max as I wanted a more compact phone but I'd love to have more battery. Just give us a slightly thicker phone with a bigger battery in it, even 15 or 20% more would help a lot!

5. chooyoshi macrumors member

chooyoshi

(Recalls the flop that was the 18Kmah energize phone)

6. BootsWalking, May 13, 2019
    Last edited: May 13, 2019

BootsWalking macrumors 65816

Note to Apple: Make your phones a little thicker and you could tout this feature as a major selling point for all your phones.

7. JosephAW macrumors 68020

JosephAW

The falling asleep part is true. My neiphew was sound asleep all night while Netflix was on continual play using up his data. Plugging in cause the battery would never make it.
    --- Post Merged, May 13, 2019 ---
    It's time for fuel cells for charging and operation.

8. sunapple macrumors 68000

sunapple

Yesterday I saw the battery indicator turn red (20% battery) for the first time in the five months that I've owned it, it looked so strange!

9. apolloa, May 13, 2019

apolloa macrumors G4

Having an XR for a while now I gotta say the battery is alright, but certainly nothing to write home about and definitely doesn’t warrant its own ad campaign by Apple!
    I even scrubbed it and set it up as a new device at the weekend and the batter is still the same. I expected more from it basically.

10. 69Mustang macrumors 604

69Mustang

There's a world of difference between 'a little bit thicker' and the hyperbole that was the energizer phone. Nuance tends to make your comments seem bit more reasonable. Wanting a couple of millimeters worth of battery capacity isn't remotely related to your example.

11. atiffarooq macrumors 6502

atiffarooq

My experience with the battery on the XR has been brilliant.

There hasn't been a single day that I've had to reach for the charger, including days when I've left the house at 6am, streaming Netflix/YouTube and listening to music on long journeys on the train and had enough battery to get through calls, texts, social media, pictures etc. during the day, getting home quite late (10pm or thereabouts).

I'm sitting here today having taken the phone off charge at 5am and still have 72% remaining.

I know everyone has different expectations for the battery life in their phones - for me, this hits all of mine.

12. 67952 Suspended

I've never understood the people who complain about the fact that Apple doesn't choose to make their phones thicker so they can have larger batteries. Anyone can add thickness/larger batter to an iPhone with an optional charging case. No one can choose to make an iPhone thinner and thus accept a lower batter life.

By Apple making their iPhones as thin as they do, the company leaves everyone with a choice. If you want a thicker iPhone/longer battery, you can do that with ANY iPhone Apple makes. The choice is up to you.

13. goshya macrumors member

goshya

All iPhones, that is every single one of them, has inferior battery run time compared to Android flag ship models of which some only cost half of what Apple asks for iPhones and come with a quick charger in the box. My gf bought a Xiaomi 9 which is faster than the XS Max and cost less than half.

In the past I always thought that Android users just couldn’t afford a superior product (iPhone).

These days I feel ashamed if I tell people how much I paid for an inferior product (iPhone).

14. vvs14 macrumors regular

vvs14

Just my own experience. I used to be of the opinion that slightly thicker would not matter. But the other day I went in to buy a Xs to replace my 6s. Immediately hated the slight increase in thickness and the added weight. Ended up keeping my 6s.

15. DrJohnnyN Suspended

DrJohnnyN

The poor man's XS Max.
    Yep. Keep it thin.

16. LordVic macrumors 603

because adding a case makes the phone look like something the dog would play with, and not a high end premium phone product.

adding .5mm or even 1mm to make a phone battery last 24-48s, or require a case, covers up the entirety of the phone. Turns the phone into a plastic looking lego brick and adds significant more weight and material is not quite the same thing that people are asking for

Nobody is arguing that having battery cases isn't a good option. but the battery cases would still exist if the iPhone was .5mm thicker. Still having that choice. But for those of us who buy our phones for looks in addition to functionality, would prefer an almost perceivable thicker device, for significantly longer battery.

because THIS looks like ass compared to a naked phone:
    [​IMG]
    I went from the opposite. From a much thinner device to a slightly thicker one. Battery wasn't the important thing for me, But it was nice. More importantly to me, i found the added heft and thickness of .5mm thicker device to change how easy it was for me to hold and use it. I much prefer the added bulk and weight.

17. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

And yet Which?, the British consumer organization, has stated that the claims for the XR battery life are exaggerated (see link). Other review sites seem to back up Apple's claims, so I wonder what is going on. I was thinking about buying an XR on the basis of the battery life, but now I am not so sure.

Also, I have never understood those who buy phones for the looks. It's a phone. You talk into it, listen to it, takes pictures with it, and look at the screen. It is not a yardstick of personal worth or well being. Any fool can buy the most amazing looking phone if they have enough money. Just sayin'...

18. Romeo_Nightfall macrumors 6502

Romeo_Nightfall

This is the time point when a company becomes autistic. Comparing with own products not competitors, haha.
    Tim Hollywood strikes again!

19. Rocketman macrumors 603

Rocketman

With a battery life lawsuit pending they are doubling down on battery life claims. Hmmmm.

May we simply have a double battery option internally please?

20. party like it's 1984 macrumors newbie

what a sad commentary on our culture. phone addiction from sun up to sun down.

21. simonmet, May 13, 2019

simonmet macrumors 68020

simonmet

Anyone with an XR has had it way less than a year so of course the battery life is still good! It’s not significantly better or worse than other models.

This ad is clutching at straws. They reckon I’ll lose power before it? Just try me!

22. Zapdoc macrumors member

23. ImaxGuy macrumors regular

ImaxGuy

The glass back also adds quite a bit to the weight.

24. Zapdoc macrumors member

Maybe worth getting the smart battery case from Apple for your xs

25. alexandr macrumors 6502a

alexandr

now why couldn't they just avoid going this route...