Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DrJohnnyN

Suspended
Jan 27, 2010
Apple has always been its own biggest competitor. It's always trying to outdo itself, and its marketing reflects that. Not a secret.
[doublepost=1557767402][/doublepost]

Take your money somewhere else. Not all of us have excess money to throw around on whatever we want. Some of us work countless hours and still have an empty bank account at the end of the day.

Love my XR! Best iPhone I've had, but yes, it's bigger and bulkier than I wanted, but everything else about it is a big upgrade over past iPhones that I've had.

Should have worked harder in school.
Love my superior XS Max.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Too bad the iPhone Xr's better than average iPhone battery life comes with compromises such as near 720p display, worse reception with inferior Intel radio instead of Qualcomm, aggressive killing or restriction of background tasks, etc. while being more expensive than the competition. Often see these type of comments with people switching away from iPhone (in this case iPhone Xr to Pixel 3a):

I picked one up cause it's pretty cheap for a new phone. I like it. Should be good for a everyday phone. My old phone was a iPhone XR

Tech reviewers should do a test on iPhone xs Max vs pixel 3a data coverage. I always thought it was my service that was bad for data coverage. Wow was I wrong. It's was the actual iPhone attenas that was the reason on getting horrible data coverage. Everywhere i was getting horrible data service on iPhone . I get great service with this Google pixel 3a in same areas. Great phone that I would recommend

rgbrock1

Suspended
Feb 1, 2016
SC
Having an XR for a while now I gotta say the battery is alright, but certainly nothing to write home about and definitely doesn’t warrant its own ad campaign by Apple!
I even scrubbed it and set it up as a new device at the weekend and the batter is still the same. I expected more from it basically.

Must be the way you're ab/using it. I get at least 48 hours out of my XR before needing to plug it in.
[doublepost=1557773434][/doublepost]
And yet Which?, the British consumer organization, has stated that the claims for the XR battery life are exaggerated (see link). Other review sites seem to back up Apple's claims, so I wonder what is going on. I was thinking about buying an XR on the basis of the battery life, but now I am not so sure.

Also, I have never understood those who buy phones for the looks. It's a phone. You talk into it, listen to it, takes pictures with it, and look at the screen. It is not a yardstick of personal worth or well being. Any fool can buy the most amazing looking phone if they have enough money. Just sayin'...

I have an XR. It lasts me around 48 hours between charges. I don't do social media, at all, but I listen to music, make and receive phone calls, read email and do some occasional web browsing and read the news.

Reactions: VulchR

Corvec

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2019
Indiana
All iPhones, that is every single one of them, has inferior battery run time compared to Android flag ship models of which some only cost half of what Apple asks for iPhones and come with a quick charger in the box. My gf bought a Xiaomi 9 which is faster than the XS Max and cost less than half.

Which flagships are you comparing it to? According to Tom's Guide, the iPhone XR has better battery life than several other Android phones, beating the overall average by an hour and 20 minutes. The Google Pixel 3 XL has two hours less battery life than the XR; the OnePlus 6 has an hour less. In fact, as far as I can tell, the Galaxy S10 Plus is the only flagship phone to beat it in a battery life test (based on the list here).

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Must be the way you're ab/using it. I get at least 48 hours out of my XR before needing to plug it in.
[doublepost=1557773434][/doublepost]

I have an XR. It lasts me around 48 hours between charges. I don't do social media, at all, but I listen to music, make and receive phone calls, read email and do some occasional web browsing and read the news.

Yes I’m abusing my iPhone because it doesn’t give a magical 48hrs of battery.. you must turn yours in for 5 mins a day to get that.. :rolleyes:
[doublepost=1557774608][/doublepost]
The numbers were North American, so likely yes, they were talking specifically of US based sales.

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...-devices-in-north-america-in-q1-2019.2180764/

I'm not prepared to extrapolate that further though to international. I don't have enough data to go by.

Globally no iPhone has ever dominated really. But the US is a big enough market, the iPhone usually does well there.
If they launched a new XE though I have a feeling it’ll outsell any other iPhone maybe?

JGIGS

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2008
CANADA!
I don't get this. Seems like a waste of ad revenue to promote one of your on products, especially the lower retail version, as better in a certain way vs other products in your line up? Must make a bigger markup on the Xr or have a lot of stock they need to move otherwise doesn't really make sense to me anyway.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Having an XR for a while now I gotta say the battery is alright, but certainly nothing to write home about and definitely doesn’t warrant its own ad campaign by Apple!
I even scrubbed it and set it up as a new device at the weekend and the batter is still the same. I expected more from it basically.
Mine has been pretty bad from the start. It also get prone to occasional bouts of overheating, so I am guessing I got one with a wonky issue and that mine is running rather atypically. However it is a good performer overall and so I’ll just ride it out until I upgrade this year for the dual lens model.

Reactions: apolloa

MRrainer

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2008
Zurich, Switzerland
I've almost no notification, almost no background data transfer, location-data turned on only for those apps where it's crucial (and then only when they're in the foreground).

99% of the time, I'm happy with the way iOS handles background tasks (mostly hibernating them). It's a phone. There's very little it needs to do about an app that isn't in the foreground.

I also don't really have problem with the reception.
If your battery drains very fast, there's a problem somewhere. Maybe it's a mailbox with lots of mails? Or a specific app?
I'd try restoring the iPhone to factory settings, install no apps and see if this works better
If it works better, it's some app.
Add back the apps one at a time, keeping between one and two weeks before adding a new app.

Reactions: MadeTheSwitch

actcyclist

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2017
"You'll lose power before it will". False advertising if you cycle 2 hours a day in winter with music playing, Apple Watch GPS, then use it at work. It will need charging before lunch.
"You'll lose power before it will if you're a lazy slob" perhaps?

MadeTheSwitch

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2009
It’s true. My phone usually does outlast me. :D And really that is the first time I have been able to say that in a phone. I love my XR.

Guscat

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2010
The poor man's XS Max.
[doublepost=1557754134][/doublepost]
Yep. Keep it thin.
I switched from a X to an XR in large part because of the battery life. I don't know about the XS Max, but it doesn't feel like a poor man's phone next to my X.
[doublepost=1557808189][/doublepost]
"You'll lose power before it will". False advertising if you cycle 2 hours a day in winter with music playing, Apple Watch GPS, then use it at work. It will need charging before lunch.
"You'll lose power before it will if you're a lazy slob" perhaps?
I just drove 2 ½ hours with the GPS on my Apple Watch and talking on the phone the whole time, and I still had 70% battery life left in my phone.

What are you doing with your phone before lunch?

Reactions: fourthtunz

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Mine has been pretty bad from the start. It also get prone to occasional bouts of overheating, so I am guessing I got one with a wonky issue and that mine is running rather atypically. However it is a good performer overall and so I’ll just ride it out until I upgrade this year for the dual lens model.

Yeah overall, apart from it’s habit of randomly dropping signal, it’s an alright phone.
I’m waiting till 2020 when I can get a Qualcomm modem and decent arial designs. Plus with a bit of luck they’ll put an OLED screen in it and make it a bit lighter?
I’ll also look at any XE model they’ll launch.

alexhardaker

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2014
My iPhone X is just over a year old (I’ve had it since August), and it is already on 89% battery health. I noticed just over a week ago that my battery was draining fairly quickly whilst not doing much. I’ve spoken to Apple Support, and it’s just run out of warranty. They’ve done a diagnostics test, and it passes. I’ve turned off background app refresh, but it’s not made a difference. Next step is to restore it from iCloud to see if that helps. That’ll be a pain in the arse to do, with all the data I have in iCloud. If that doesn’t help, I’ll have to pay £65 or so for a new battery. Quite frustrating, really.

dilbert99

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2012
Yeah, Battery use measurements are always tricky because so much of how long our batteries last in devices aren't necessarily related directly to the device, but how we use it and where we use it.

Travel a lot in places with weak signal? You're going to burn battery faster than even if you had it on.
Actually, my battery was reading 53% this morning and is now still reading 53%

Apple is amazing, they have just created a perpetual motion machine that uses no power.

Not begs the question, how do I get the battery percentage to move?

interessiert

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2012
I really hate to read about such advertising.
Why nobody talks about the heavy disadvantages for many customers, who purchased an iPhone 7/8 (or plus). These older devices showed from the beginning an average battery time.

Because of the Qualcomm court cases Apple took away some of the Qualcomm patent features infringing patent law. These software features reduced electricity consumption (aside others e.g. features for faster search in Notices or Mail).

That's why since iOS 12.x the battery time is shortened obviously between 40% up to 60%, depending on the way of use. (Also the other functions became respectably worse...).

Till now NOBODY CRIES!! :confused:
Why?

I wait till this "battery gate" is driven to surface – a big wave...

So we understand better the motive for Apple for the battery replacement program of 2018 and this advertising finally is pure cynicism of Apple company against customers... Ugly :(:apple::(

Last edited:

michaelsviews

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2007
New England
We all know Apple has a pending case in regards to battery life. And the same will happen with this phone and others as time goes on, have to push the consumer to buy a NEW iPhone, iPad. Definitely not the MBP until keyboardgate is fixed

Reactions: interessiert

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Yeah overall, apart from it’s habit of randomly dropping signal, it’s an alright phone.
I’m waiting till 2020 when I can get a Qualcomm modem and decent arial designs. Plus with a bit of luck they’ll put an OLED screen in it and make it a bit lighter?
I’ll also look at any XE model they’ll launch.
I had an XS Max but had to send it back due to the OLED causing my migraines. So I’m actually on the XR for the LCD display. My XR does have far fewer connectivity problems than my Max did. As a phone, in terms of call quality, it’s the best iPhone I’ve owned so far. But it definitely doesn’t compare as well to my Android phones with their Qualcomm modems. It will be good to have QC back in iPhones again.

I’m hoping Apple will change whatever peculiar thing they do to OLED so I can go back to using their XS MAX upgrade. I’d like to have the rumored wide angle lens. I absolutely do love and use that lens on my Samsung S10+. But I’m sure I’ll like the XR upgrade well enough if that’s all I can use. I definitely can use OLED displays, just not the ones on the iPhones for some reason.

Reactions: apolloa

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
I had an XS Max but had to send it back due to the OLED causing my migraines. So I’m actually on the XR for the LCD display. My XR does have far fewer connectivity problems than my Max did. As a phone, in terms of call quality, it’s the best iPhone I’ve owned so far. But it definitely doesn’t compare as well to my Android phones with their Qualcomm modems. It will be good to have QC back in iPhones again.

I’m hoping Apple will change whatever peculiar thing they do to OLED so I can go back to using their XS MAX upgrade. I’d like to have the rumored wide angle lens. I absolutely do love and use that lens on my Samsung S10+. But I’m sure I’ll like the XR upgrade well enough if that’s all I can use. I definitely can use OLED displays, just not the ones on the iPhones for some reason.

You won’t be the only one who feels that way and has found this. That you can use other make OLED’s but not Apples, which is even more daft when Samsung has made them.

Reactions: 5105973

fourthtunz

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2002
Maine
All iPhones, that is every single one of them, has inferior battery run time compared to Android flag ship models of which some only cost half of what Apple asks for iPhones and come with a quick charger in the box. My gf bought a Xiaomi 9 which is faster than the XS Max and cost less than half.

In the past I always thought that Android users just couldn’t afford a superior product (iPhone).

These days I feel ashamed if I tell people how much I paid for an inferior product (iPhone).
My friends androids always die before my XR when I travel to gigs with them and none of their phones will connect to the cheap bluetooth transmitter in my car which works with the last 2 iphones I've had. As well as their phones are always messed up from something. Superior..what because they have some hardware the Iphone doesn't have?
You can keep the Chinese phones that send data to their government and The Androids Os which send data to google..no thanks, I'll pay more for a better experience and more privacy.
[doublepost=1557865515][/doublepost]
I hate the size and slipperiness of the Xr. But I do love its battery - no contest.

Maybe the 4S was as slippery - but because it was smaller, it was easier to grip.

Sadly, Apple's cheerful answer if you complain about the size is very simple: "Just buy a watch, dude!".
Yep great battery almost always goes from a day to a day and a half without a charge.
Just buy a case dude! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.