Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kristenn

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2009
Wow dude. Then leave.

Maybe you should do research on a computer and its OS again before going out and buying it because of "hype" around OS X. If you bought because of hype you DESERVE to be disappointed!

Why did you come back *insert certain amount of days here* and reply just to say basically the same thing you have been saying the whole thread?

Also, I find it hard to believe ANY business would take the word of one person (worker or not) about their next purchase of servers or anything at all.

Last edited by a moderator:

polaris20

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
I had a long response, but really, it's a waste of time. Mosx, well done on the trolling. Let me know when you've got an ounce of a clue in IT/Enterprise computing. You don't, and therefore any and all of you OPINIONS are completely irrelevant to me, and as usual, to everyone else.

Tell me, how many Windows NT/2000/2003/2008 AD domains have you set up? How many Exchange 5.5/2003/2007/2010 servers have you deployed? What's your preferred bare metal hypervisor, and why? What method of connection do you prefer for your datastores, iSCSI, fiber channel, or NFS, and why? How many BES servers have you deployed? How many Citrix XenApp servers have you deployed? What DMS do you prefer and why? How many Linux/LAMP stacks have you deployed? What's your preferred distro? What method do you prefer for imaging hundreds of workstations at once? What SSO method for Posix-based OSes do you prefer? How many SQL databases are you responsible for? Do you prefer MSSQL, MySQL, PostgreSQL, or Oracle, and why?

You'll refuse to answer, because you have NO experience in IT. None. Yet you continue to be belligerent and arrogant.

You also do nothing on this site but complain. How about contributing more, besides the whining?

Polaris, did you consider the possibility that PC World is full of Apple Zealots and blind fanboys? That could have something to do with it.

Did you read what you linked? A poll of PCWorld readers. I guess all the PCWorld readers are secretly Apple zealots. :rolleyes:

santaliqueur

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Thats basically it right there.

I was being sarcastic. Guess the "reality distortion field" clouded your vision.

Hint to trolls: As soon as you use the term reality distortion field, you lose 100% of your credibility.

mosx is a simple troll who won't give up until the thread is locked. I'm fine with you having your anti-Apple opinions, nobody forced you to buy anything. What is annoying is that you won't take your opinions elsewhere. There are plenty of forums where you can get many more people to agree with you. Where everyone doesn't hate you because you are acting like an arrogant jerk. If that's the attention you want and the attitude to enjoy spreading, I consider myself lucky I don't know you in real life.

The best part is, even though you would never admit it, we all KNOW you will continue to purchase Apple products :eek:

polaris20

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I must admit I didn't immediately pick up the sarcasm immediately, so apologies for being snarky.

And of course he'll keep buying Apple products. He's already bought $800+ this year alone, despite his previous multipage tirades.

I bought a midi controller from a company. It didn't work as they claimed in terms of sensitivity. Their support sucked. They wouldn't take it back. I sold it on eBay. Months later, they came out with new firmware that supposedly fixed many of the issues. Despite this midi controller being a good fit for my needs, I didn't buy one again. Why? Because I'm not a friggin' sucker like some people apparently are.

santaliqueur

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007

I bought a midi controller from a company. It didn't work as they claimed in terms of sensitivity. Their support sucked. They wouldn't take it back. I sold it on eBay.

But...you sold it on eBay? Sucker! Paypal hackers must have hijacked your account and stolen your CC info. Only suckers use eBay and Paypal. It's only a matter of time before you start having your identity stolen.

*mosx logic was used in the creation of this post, some brain cells may have been destroyed for using this method of thinking*

mosx

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 3, 2007
Funny how my last post was deleted

You'll refuse to answer, because you have NO experience in IT. None. Yet you continue to be belligerent and arrogant.

As I've said before, I have no one to impress and I couldn't care less what you or others think of me. You're simply resorting to this argument, as you have many times before, because I've proven you wrong again.

You're making assumptions based on your knack for picking and choosing what you want to read and thats that. You don't know reality, so be quiet.

Wow OP, your so stubborn.
You seem to have nothing better to do in life than just troll and intentionally piss people off on this form by making super long posts.
For the billionth time, just move on, and leave.

You really must not understand English too well when people say "Not everyone wants a PC".

No one is dissing you about having a PC yet you continue to endlessly bit** about Macs and how they are terrible and how Mac users are stupid for using a Mac. Just leave.

You obviously didn't read my posts. I DO own a Mac. And I've posted pictures of it on numerous occasions.

someone28624

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2007
Buffalo
Don't get me started on that crap.

First, I didn't buy it from Apple. I bought it at Frys. Second, it doesn't say ANYWHERE on the box that this device is subject to those terms and using it means you agree to them. It doesn't even mention the fact that iTunes pops up a license agreement for using the iPod software. The only thing mentioned on the box is that iTunes is subject to a license agreement, nothing else.

And finally, again, the Apple Store employee assured me (and I have a witness willing to testify to that fact) that I would be receiving a new retail unit the same way I would have if they had stock in store that day.

I can understand a refurbished unit if the iPod was close to the end of the warranty period. But it was only 7 weeks old, 3 weeks passed the return window.

I paid for new. I was assured I would get new. I want new or a pro-rated refund for the difference between new and refurbished.

I would prefer to have my money back entirely, seeing as how these things are destined to fail.

As far as other things go, I've actually had the optical drive in my Mac (and PC) die and both Apple and HP replaced them with new parts, judging on the build date, serial numbers, and other factors.

Refurbished would be fine if Apple wants to refund me the difference in cost.

The unit you would have received had Apple had it in stock that day would have been refurbished. I guarantee they had plenty of brand new iPod Nanos at the store they were selling people. They had no refurbished ones to trade you.

Many companies only have 30 day warranties. You'd be SOL then, with no iPod at all.

Refurbs are often better as you know they were tested and work.

Apple cannot sell your 7 week iPod as new once it's fixed. It's not new. So why should they give you a brand new one?

My iPod Nano broke literally 2 days after I got it. I got a refurbished one. I didn't care. It looked brand new. The refurbished one worked. My 2 day old one didn't. Therefore, I benefited.

If you want to say Apple's policies shouldn't matter because you bought it at Fry's, then take it back to Fry's and see what they'll do for you.

someone28624

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2007
Buffalo
I'm anxiously awaiting the thread where he's never buying a Honda again, despite owning 2 Civics, an Accord, and a CR-V because the radio is his Civic he drove for 2 months broke and they won't give him a brand new car. Besides, Hondas are overprices, Kias are so much cheaper.

van2010rulz

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2010
OMG mosx. Please we have heard your story.

As I've said before, I have no one to impress and I couldn't care less what you or others think of me. You're simply resorting to this argument, as you have many times before, because I've proven you wrong again.

If you couldn't care less about what we have to say then please leave. I am trying to say this nicely. Just because we have our own opinions doesn't mean we are wrong.

You're making assumptions based on your knack for picking and choosing what you want to read and thats that. You don't know reality, so be quiet.

So that's what it is now. You want us all to shut up. This isn't the place for you. If you want us to be quiet, then maybe you should leave.

I went digging around and found a thread you made when you first bought your Mac.

Something you said in that thread was

I had an HP DV5030us notebook. I had so many problems with it. The motherboard finally croaked after not even a year, and it decided to kill external devices that were connected at the time.

Didn't you just say in this thread that:

HP sells more computers in one quarter than Apple does in a year. HP sells more computers in a year than there are Mac users in total. It's simple math that there will be more failed HP systems more visibly in the world than there will be Macs.

Not saying that HP is bad or anything, but you had a crappy HP laptop!

It simply just works and it doesn't come loaded with spyware and adware! I was able to turn it on and start using it! Not like my HP where I had to turn it on, wait half an hour for all the trial software and ads to load, reboot with XP DVD and reformat and not actually use my new PC until 6 hours later.

This was also written in your post about your new Mac and what you didn't like about your HP.

We've gone over this before. OS X offers no advantage in "work flow". There is nothing that OS X can do that Windows cannot, so the "needs" argument is out of the window. The only reason to choose a Mac over a Windows system is if you want something thats pretty rather than functional. If you care more about style than having a tool actually perform like a tool.

Going back to "workflow", isn't it hilarious that Apple is touting fullscreen apps as the next big thing in OS X? How many decades ago did Windows do that?

That reminds me of how Apple made a big deal out of pre-emptive multi-tasking in OS X. Welcome to half a decade earlier in Windows.

This is what you said in this thread.

But honestly, I'm right at home in OS X. It took me not even a full day to feel right at home. Everything works beautifully and I have yet to have any moments where I have found something I couldn't do in Windows. Infact, everything so far has ben better than Windows. It's amazing how ancient Windows XP feels now after using OS X for even just a few days. I mean, I've used it in the past. But you never get a real feel for it until you get it in your home, you know?

This is what you said in your brand new macbook post.

Right here your writing about how you love OSX. How it's better than Windows Xp. I know it's outdated, but you said it's better than Windows.

It's amazing how rude you are right now. In the post about your new macbook people were so nice to you. Congratulating you on your purchase. Now you yell at us because you think were wrong? What is your problem? You were like us at a point in time. Now you just yell at us. You think that you are smarter than us. Wow i would hate to work with you.

I rest my case...

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
It's amazing how rude you are right now. In the post about your new macbook people were so nice to you. Congratulating you on your purchase. Now you yell at us because you think were wrong? What is your problem? You were like us at a point in time. Now you just yell at us. You think that you are smarter than us. Wow i would hate to work with you.

I rest my case...

The fact that he made you post this does explain why apparently he doesn't get the same kind of service from Apple that other people get. You always interact with people, and in many many cases a store employee can decide to help you (even if it means bending the rules a bit) or can decide not to help you (even if it means bending the rules a bit), and they will do it. They are only human, after all.

SuperCachetes

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2010
Away from you
The fact that he made you post this does explain why apparently he doesn't get the same kind of service from Apple that other people get. You always interact with people, and in many many cases a store employee can decide to help you (even if it means bending the rules a bit) or can decide not to help you (even if it means bending the rules a bit), and they will do it. They are only human, after all.

This.

IMHO they have outstanding customer service and take care of their customers, but if you prance in like a d-bag demanding the moon and stars, I'm sure they can shut you out. ...Not that furnishing a refurbished iPod for a two-month old one is even inappropriate in this case. :rolleyes:

The bottom line is that when it comes to Apple, for every bitter little axe-grinder, there are ten more converts that say "The reason my next computer will be a Mac is because they replaced my ______ free of charge, with no hassle."

cmvsm

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2004
As it has been said, if you are unhappy, move on to a Dell, HP, or whatever else, and leave the forum. Nothing that anyone here says is going to change your mind, and vice versa.

The only thing that is a FACT, is that my portfolio began with Apple stock only 5 years ago at $44 per share. It's over $300 now. Do the math genius.

polaris20

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
As it has been said, if you are unhappy, move on to a Dell, HP, or whatever else, and leave the forum. Nothing that anyone here says is going to change your mind, and vice versa.

The only thing that is a FACT, is that my portfolio began with Apple stock only 5 years ago at $44 per share. It's over $300 now. Do the math genius.

Actually, he'd be better off with a Lenovo or Asus, according to that PCWorld reader survey. Just sayin' ;)

And he won't move on. The trolling just isn't as fulfilling on other boards, apparently.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go shopping for a Chevy. I've had really bad experiences with their cars and their service before, but maybe they've changed! Why not throw more money at them?

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
You obviously didn't read my posts. I DO own a Mac. And I've posted pictures of it on numerous occasions.

Who are you joking? I didn't ask if you had a Mac in my last post
You obviously didn't read my previous post.

mosx

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 3, 2007
The unit you would have received had Apple had it in stock that day would have been refurbished. I guarantee they had plenty of brand new iPod Nanos at the store they were selling people. They had no refurbished ones to trade you.

Funny, because there was another woman in there having an issue with a previous generation iPod and they gave her a packaged new unit.

Many companies only have 30 day warranties. You'd be SOL then, with no iPod at all.

Couldn't be further from the truth. A one year warranty is industry standard across the board for electronics.

Refurbs are often better as you know they were tested and work

Press button and screen comes on. Yeah, lots of testing.

Apple cannot sell your 7 week iPod as new once it's fixed. It's not new. So why should they give you a brand new one?

I couldn't care less what Apple can or cannot do with the defective unit. I only care about the fact that I paid for new, I was promised new, and I did not get new.

Why do people put Apple on a pedestal? Acting as if Apple is something more than a company that is out to make money? "Apple can't do this if.." who cares? They certainly don't care about you beyond getting your money and how profitable of a customer you'd be.

So as I said, I couldn't care less about what Apple can do with that old unit. All I care about is the fact that they promised me a new replacement, I paid for a new unit, and I did not get new.

My iPod Nano broke literally 2 days after I got it. I got a refurbished one. I didn't care. It looked brand new. The refurbished one worked. My 2 day old one didn't. Therefore, I benefited.

No, you didn't benefit. You should have done the intelligent thing and returned it for a full refund then bought a new one if you still wanted one after the fact.

If you want to say Apple's policies shouldn't matter because you bought it at Fry's, then take it back to Fry's and see what they'll do for you.

Apple's STORE policies don't apply to me because I didn't purchase it there. On top of that, Apple's warranty policies are not presented prior to purchase or use of the unit.

Third, I was promised by a store employee that I would be getting a new unit. That overrides all policies, as verbal contracts in the state of California hold just as much water as written.

Mosx, the only thing you've successfully proven is your ignorance, arrogance, and utter lack of logic.

When you can actually demonstrate the ability to discern fact versus anecdotal evidence and extraordinarily limited experience, please let us know.

Same old tired argument that never works.

I'm anxiously awaiting the thread where he's never buying a Honda again, despite owning 2 Civics, an Accord, and a CR-V because the radio is his Civic he drove for 2 months broke and they won't give him a brand new car. Besides, Hondas are overprices, Kias are so much cheaper.

Thats just flat out stupid and makes no sense.

If you couldn't care less about what we have to say then please leave. I am trying to say this nicely. Just because we have our own opinions doesn't mean we are wrong.

I have yet to see someone arguing against me who is right ;)

And I'm here so people know what Apple is really like.

Not saying that HP is bad or anything, but you had a crappy HP laptop!

Yup. And they replaced it. And the system I ended up with is now over 3 years old. I never had to send it in for warranty service. However, every single Mac I've ever owned has to be sent out for warranty service and the battery in the one I have now swelled up. Despite that being a known defect and a fire hazard, Apple tells everyone it happens to that does not have AppleCare to pound sand.

This was also written in your post about your new Mac and what you didn't like about your HP.

That was true then. For the first system. Isn't true now. Besides, when you get a new Mac, you have to reinstall OS X to get rid of the several gigabytes worth of printer drivers and language translations that come with the system. Then you have to download several gigabytes worth of OS updates because the concept of small patches seems to allude Apple for all of their devices. Why patch it when you can force a whole OS download?

This is what you said in your brand new macbook post.

Right here your writing about how you love OSX. How it's better than Windows Xp. I know it's outdated, but you said it's better than Windows.

That was written right after I owned the Mac.

You know, its funny how people go and try to bring up these old posts time and time again. You really haven't read all of my posts, have you? Well, you probably have but you like to cherry pick your arguments.

That post was written right after I got the Mac. Right after. Before I noticed how unstable the OS was and how it even lacked hardware video acceleration, something Windows had since the 90s.

And at that point, XP felt ancient no matter what. Vista was out, and later that year, thanks to my MacBook(s) being in Apple's hands for months at a time, I transitioned to Vista and saw how much better it was then than Tiger and Leopard.

Thats the thing. The store employee was great. The conversation basically was me starting it out by jokingly saying "I have the easiest problem you'll have all day". I showed him the iPod and said "The sleep/wake button got stuck". He said "Oh! First I've seen that happen!" Then immediately started the swapping process. Never was there any sort of confrontation or rudeness. We both cracked jokes, laughed. Etc. When he said they were out of stock and mail-in was an option I asked if it'd be new, he said yes. I said I'd do mail-in because I didn't want to drive that far again. Thats it.

Not that furnishing a refurbished iPod for a two-month old one is even inappropriate in this case

In your opinion.

But imagine if Microsoft did something like this. Apple fans would be all over it.

Before people say anything about Microsoft warranties, keep in mind that MS actually extended warranties on products, including the Xbox, BEFORE governments or lawsuits came into the picture. Unlike Apple.

Good for you. I hope you enjoy the share price when the Apple bubble finally bursts and it all comes crashing down.

Actually, he'd be better off with a Lenovo or Asus, according to that PCWorld reader survey. Just saying'

I'd be better off with my own personally built system. I'm not buying any more systems that I don't build myself. I absolutely NEVER had issues with computers until I started buying systems that I did not build myself. Theres computers I built more than 10 years ago that are still in service and still running flawlessly on the original hardware.

Who are you joking? I didn't ask if you had a Mac in my last post
You obviously didn't read my previous post.

The way you worded your post made it seem as if you were doubting that fact.

But its freaking hilarious that you're here defending Apple when your own signature says your Mac is out being serviced.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
But its freaking hilarious that you're here defending Apple when your own signature says your Mac is out being serviced.

I'm not defending Apple, I never was. I was defending my point of view saying that you are being overly anal about this whole situation.

It's freaking hilarious that you still can't seem to read/understand posts properly.

SuperCachetes

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2010
Away from you
In your opinion.

And just about everybody else's. :rolleyes:

You paid for a new iPod, but you took a used one to get fixed. Sounds like you got one back in the same condition you arrived with. End of story.

I hate when employees are misinformed and mislead people, too - but if you quit buying stuff every time that happens to you, you eventually end up not a consumer. Good luck with that.

Twowheelfun

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2010
It's unfortunate

It sounds like you have had a pretty bad experience.

This seems as if it could have been handled much differently by all parties involved.

Fry's is notorious for re-packaging returned non-working merchandise which is why I stopped shopping there a long long time ago. AT&T had issues with selling used and even display iPhones as new as well.

The agent should have never promised you a new product. Almost all tech companies will use refurbished products when replacing and repairing merchandise. It is bad financial business to not do so.

Yes. you paid for a new iPod, you got what I'm assuming was a new iPod, however from you stating that there was no terms of service in the box is suspect. Every new ipod, iphone etc. comes with a fold-out booklet of information.

But assume everything there was ok, well your iPod is seven weeks old, it is now a "used" iPod. So if you get a refurbished one with all new parts in it with the same warranty, what is the problem? what if the only qualification of the refurbished product was that someone bought it, opened the packaging without ever even opening the box, decided they didn't want it and returned it?

Isn't this still a new product? Well Apple will again test it, (no, not by just turning it on, it will go through a full battery of tests) and then send it to a store as a refurbished model although this is essentially a new product. This could easily be the one that you receive as "refurbished"

I'm sorry but I just have to laugh at this one: "All I care about is the fact that they promised me a new replacement, I paid for a new unit, and I did not get new."

this sounds like a child who doesn't get to eat his dessert because he didn't eat his dinner.

Things don't always go as planned. Be flexible.

My mom bought a new Dell desktop, spent 3,000 on it with all the upgrades including their premium in-home service in case something went wrong.

Well she calls me up a couple of weeks later extremely upset. Her hard drive had died. She is a professional photographer and had transferred 10's of thousands of pictures to her "new" computer and the drive crashed before she was able to back them up. She had backups of all her other data, these were just more recent photos.

So after hours on the phone with Dell with someone in a different country who didn't understand what she was saying or what the error message was, they send someone out. He shows up, replaces her drive, tries to take the bad drive that I wouldn't let him do (we will send it back to them later), starts just the Windows install and leaves half way through it.

Needless to say, the windows install didn't complete. She then had a bad drive, a $3,000 2 week old desktop she couldn't use and was out a lot of additional time and money dealing with this issue.

I have been supporting, configuring, repairing and replacing PC's for almost 20 years now and had to spend my whole weekend getting her system back to the original state. So much for their premium service. She then had to spend about 3,000 more for a restore of her data directly off of the hard drive and no Dell wouldn't pay for it.

So what was her solution? Well she never bought a Dell again. She has now been using Apple for a while, has had some questions and issues and they have all gotten resolved. She is extremely happy.
Like you, she has 2 different means of support, drive an hour to the Apple store and speak with someone in person or Call support. She often chooses to call but can also go into the store. This is more than I can say for other companies. You can't go to dell, you can't go to HP or Sony, IBM (lenovo) and have them fix your product. You probably can't even call them for support and speak with anyone who really even understands what you're telling them. What do you do then?

However, with Apple, you can just go to your local store and have them repair it there, locally, in-house or in-the U.S.

Call their support? Oh they're based in the U.S. also and can work with any issue you are having. But you need to be NICE. People are much more willing to work with you when you're not yelling at them.

Me, before I had my first Apple product, built all my systems from the ground up and supported them. I never had any issues with them, they just took up a significant amount of time trying to install drivers, resolving compatibility issues, upgrading, changing, uninstalling, re-installing just to make things work. Again, I NEVER HAD AN ISSUE WITH IT. It is what I love to do.

Then I bought a Mac. I have multiple Apple systems now, desktops, laptops, time capsules, iPhones and iPads. I have NEVER had a problem with ANY of them at any point. This is one of the many reasons I buy their products.

I drive a Toyota, I have had 3 of them, Over 200,000 miles on each of them and no issues. Why should I get something else?

I then went out and bought a BMW, had some issues with it, expected it to be of a much better quality than my toyota. Was it? you're damn right it was. Did I still have some issues with it? Sure I did, however BMW bent over backwards to make them all right, gave me loaner cars, filled my car with gas when they returned it, picked me up if I needed it, dropped the loaner off to me when I needed it and resolved all the issues, not just because I paid much more than what my toyota cost but because I treated them with respect and was Nice.

My wife however, had a problem with her iPhone, she was nice to the support person, they said they would send her a new phone, they didn't. The refurb one had battery life issues within a week. She called back, was nice again. They assured her this time it would be a new phone. Surprise! It was!

My suggestions to you If you feel that Apple has such an inferior product based on your continued complaints above, don't buy Apple again.

However, if you would like to resolve your iPod issue or even your other laptop battery warping problem, call them, ask to speak with a product specialist. If he or she doesn't satisfactorily resolve the problem, ask to speak with Customer Relations.

They have the ability and the power to resolve almost any Apple issue you have. Believe it or not, Apple does want your business, they do want to make you happy whether or not you will shop with them in the future.

But most importantly, please do not act as I have quoted above. Nobody wants to work with someone who acts like that. BE NICE, be understanding, people make mistakes, explain your side of the issue, be nice and you will most likely get what you want.

van2010rulz

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2010
I'm sorry but I just have to laugh at this one: "All I care about is the fact that they promised me a new replacement, I paid for a new unit, and I did not get new."

this sounds like a child who doesn't get to eat his dessert because he didn't eat his dinner.

I have to agree with this one.

But you need to be NICE. People are much more willing to work with you when you're not yelling at them.

Again, I have to agree. If i were to work in a call center for Apple I would not be happy. After reading this ENTIRE thread. (Yes Mosx i have read the entire thread.) I would not be in a position to help you. Why? It's because of how rude you are! The people on the other end of the phone line need to be treated with respect. Why would I want to help someone who thinks that i know nothing?

Something that you should know is that one you open a product it's technically used. Most Macbook Pros that come refurbished are really close to brand new. Why? It's because for whatever reason, they decided to return it and get a 15 inch. Apple now can't sell it as new because it's been open so they sell it refurbished.

When you used your iPod it was technically used. Apple sent you a refurbished product. Sounds fair to me. I know the Apple Store genius told you that you were getting new. I don't give a crap about that. If it a verbal agreement is valid in California, good for you. Go to court like you said. STOP COMPLAINING HERE! At least you got something back. Apple could of just left you with no iPod in the first place.

By the way you cherry pick what you want to respond to too.

mosx

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 3, 2007
Fry's is notorious for re-packaging returned non-working merchandise which is why I stopped shopping there a long long time ago.

Don't buy open box products. They're clearly labeled.

The agent should have never promised you a new product. Almost all tech companies will use refurbished products when replacing and repairing merchandise. It is bad financial business to not do so.

Don't care. Unlike Apple fans, I couldn't care less about the financial well being of a company. All I care about is me getting what I paid for.

Yes. you paid for a new iPod, you got what I'm assuming was a new iPod, however from you stating that there was no terms of service in the box is suspect. Every new ipod, iphone etc. comes with a fold-out booklet of information.

In box booklet doesn't equal on box warning.

However, as I said, Apple store employee promised new. In California, such a verbal promise overrides everything else.

But assume everything there was ok, well your iPod is seven weeks old, it is now a "used" iPod. So if you get a refurbished one with all new parts in it with the same warranty, what is the problem? what if the only qualification of the refurbished product was that someone bought it, opened the packaging without ever even opening the box, decided they didn't want it and returned it?

I wouldn't want a return either.

I paid for a new product. No refurbished. Seven weeks old isn't long enough to consider a toy like an iPod nano "heavily used". Especially when it spent most of that time unused collecting dust.

And, again, I paid for new. Not refurbished.

I don't care if giving out new replacements would hurt Apple's bottom line. Apple doesn't care about me beyond getting my money and I couldn't care less about the companies financial well being or profit margin. Unlike Apple fans, I know Apple is not my friend that I need to worry about. Apple, ironically, has become the guy in the 1984 ad. So all I care about is getting both what I paid for and what I was promised.

Isn't this still a new product? Well Apple will again test it, (no, not by just turning it on, it will go through a full battery of tests) and then send it to a store as a refurbished model although this is essentially a new product. This could easily be the one that you receive as "refurbished"

Don't care. I was promised new, I paid for new. I did NOT pay for refurbished.

If you say so buddy. I couldn't care less what you think.

It's the truth. I paid for new. Was promised new. Did not get new. Thats a bait and switch. It's against the law in many ways.

My mom bought a new Dell desktop, spent 3,000 on it with all the upgrades including their premium in-home service in case something went wrong.

Why on Earth would someone spend $3,000 on a computer? You say later in your post that you service systems. You could have built her one significantly better for even more significantly less.

Well she calls me up a couple of weeks later extremely upset. Her hard drive had died.

Could have happened on a Mac. Don't forget that Apple recently issued a recall for 2006-2007 MacBooks with faulty HDDs that were prone to failure.

So after hours on the phone with Dell with someone in a different country who didn't understand what she was saying or what the error message was, they send someone out. He shows up, replaces her drive, tries to take the bad drive that I wouldn't let him do (we will send it back to them later), starts just the Windows install and leaves half way through it.

Apple would have done the same thing. Except she would have had to take the computer into the store, or mail it in for repair, and they would have kept the HDD and never given it back.

Needless to say, the windows install didn't complete. She then had a bad drive, a $3,000 2 week old desktop she couldn't use and was out a lot of additional time and money dealing with this issue.

Why didn't it complete? For Windows 7 All you have to do is answer a couple of questions and wait. Then set a user name, password, and connect to your network. No different than an OS X install, really.

She then had to spend about 3,000 more for a restore of her data directly off of the hard drive and no Dell wouldn't pay for it.

Neither would Apple. I had a friend who was a diehard Mac fan recently turned PC owner. HDD died. One of those recalled MacBooks. Took it in for its third HDD replacement. Lost data. Apple wouldn't give back the drive until a manager was brought into the picture. After that the HDD was returned to the owner. Apple wouldn't pay for data recovery service either.

Moral of the story is that HDD failure can happen regardless of brand. Always back up your stuff. I'm sorry to say but its entirely your mom's fault for losing that data and having to pay for data recovery.

You can't go to dell, you can't go to HP or Sony, IBM (lenovo) and have them fix your product. You probably can't even call them for support and speak with anyone who really even understands what you're telling them. What do you do then?

Well, thankfully, you don't have to call those companies until something is actually wrong with the system.

And, thankfully again, I can build my own system. Family and friends can call me for support instead of any other companies. And I won't talk down to them or act like I know more than they do like the hipster Apple store employees.

However, with Apple, you can just go to your local store and have them repair it there, locally, in-house or in-the U.S.

Because everyone lives near an Apple store? I'm sorry, but driving an hour and taking your entire freaking computer with you is NOT convenient and it is not something I should have to do.

Call their support? Oh they're based in the U.S. also and can work with any issue you are having. But you need to be NICE. People are much more willing to work with you when you're not yelling at them.

I was extremely nice to Apple support until the rude "Executive Customer Relations" woman told me I was SOL in so many somewhat nicer words.

Me, before I had my first Apple product, built all my systems from the ground up and supported them. I never had any issues with them, they just took up a significant amount of time trying to install drivers, resolving compatibility issues, upgrading, changing, uninstalling, re-installing just to make things work. Again, I NEVER HAD AN ISSUE WITH IT. It is what I love to do.

Sounds like you were doing things wrong.

In all of the systems I've built for myself and for other people, there has NEVER been compatibility issues. There was no "trying to install drivers". Driver installs just worked. No uninstalling or reinstalling or anything like that. Thats user error.

Then I bought a Mac. I have multiple Apple systems now, desktops, laptops, time capsules, iPhones and iPads. I have NEVER had a problem with ANY of them at any point. This is one of the many reasons I buy their products.

Count yourself lucky then, especially on Time Capsules since they seem to die after 18 months. There was a recall for that too.

You WILL have a problem with a Mac at some point. Then you'll see how convenient the Apple store is when you have to haul your 30 pound desktop computer into the Apple Store and leave it there for days while it gets fixed.

I drive a Toyota, I have had 3 of them, Over 200,000 miles on each of them and no issues. Why should I get something else?

Because there are better cars? Especially ones that won't speed up and kill you.

My wife however, had a problem with her iPhone, she was nice to the support person, they said they would send her a new phone, they didn't. The refurb one had battery life issues within a week. She called back, was nice again. They assured her this time it would be a new phone. Surprise! It was!

Good for her. As I said, I was nice to Apple. Especially after I was promised a new product.

My suggestions to you If you feel that Apple has such an inferior product based on your continued complaints above, don't buy Apple again.

I won't. And I've already told my honest story to a lot of people. Thats had more of an impact than Apple just replacing my unit as they promised.

However, if you would like to resolve your iPod issue or even your other laptop battery warping problem, call them, ask to speak with a product specialist. If he or she doesn't satisfactorily resolve the problem, ask to speak with Customer Relations.

Haven't you been reading my posts? "Executive Customer Relations" told me I was out of luck. After I had been nice and polite multiple times.

(Yes Mosx i have read the entire thread.) I would not be in a position to help you. Why? It's because of how rude you are! The people on the other end of the phone line need to be treated with respect. Why would I want to help someone who thinks that i know nothing?

What makes you think I was rude on the phone? Or in person? If you had actually read the entire thread, you'd know I was far from rude. In fact, my polite, positive, and JOKING attitude didn't change until I was told that Apple's official response was that they would NOT replace my unit with a new one as promised under any circumstance.

Something that you should know is that one you open a product it's technically used. Most Macbook Pros that come refurbished are really close to brand new. Why? It's because for whatever reason, they decided to return it and get a 15 inch. Apple now can't sell it as new because it's been open so they sell it refurbished.

Doesn't matter. If someone chose to purchase a refurbished product then they get a refurb. I bought NEW.

When you used your iPod it was technically used. Apple sent you a refurbished product. Sounds fair to me.

Good for you. I have higher standards for you, especially when I pay more for a product than its worth..

Apple could of just left you with no iPod in the first place.

Actually, no they couldn't have. Under California State Law and Magnuson-Moss, since Apple had a warranty program in place, they are legally bound to act upon that warranty in a manner that satisfies the customer. And if they didn't have a warranty in place, with the product being so new, I could still sue them anyway. Magnuson-Moss and California's laws exist because of things like that.

You know what the best part is? Every single day I have multiple people asking me about the iPod nano. I tell them what happened to me. The 100% honest truth with no slandering, no embellishment, nothing like that. Everything I say is the 100% honest truth and, as a result, 100% legal. Every single person I tell my story to says the same thing. "Wow, they should have given you a new one even if they didn't promise it. You bought a new one, you should get a new one". Then they proceed to lose interest in Apple products.

Voondebah

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2010
mosx, I think. you need to calm down and realize that your reasons for not wanting to deal with Apple products don't apply to everyone. A lot of us haven't had issues with warranty service, nor many hardware problems at all. I've only had one issue, a hard drive fail, over 5. years and 6 apple devices. It was fixed at my local apple store in 2 days.

So why you may not like apple service and dont live close to an apple store, there are a lot of people have different situations. You've managed to make enough reasons for yourself, but they are not universal to everyone.

And you have mentioned how you can do anything in Windows that you can do in OSX. I dn't think that's why people really want OSX - heck, i understood using OSX meant that I would be able to do some things less! The point is not what it can do, but how it does it! I really like the integrated features lik spotlight, spaces, and hot corners, and more. I like front row and my apple remote. Yes, you can get similar features in windows, but they tend to be 3rd party and can carry they're own price. OSX has been very stable for me and it's interface elements have increased my productivity. I can also reliably run Windows 7 in a virtual machine, so I can make up for software compatibility issues for my work.

Your experience does not change what mine has been.

P.S., i. really love how I can scroll windows that are out of focus on the mac! I always hated having to switch the focus in Windows to do this - always became a hassle when using a laptop with limited screen space. Get the apps overlayed just the right way to see everything, and then would have to scroll an out focus app, then have to get the windows layered correctly again. Arg!

P.P.S.

Ooh, i forgot about growl notifications! So sweet! And free :D

bayareastudent

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2010
"I paid for a new product. No refurbished. Seven weeks old isn't long enough to consider a toy like an iPod nano "heavily used". Especially when it spent most of that time unused collecting dust. "

once you opened your box, it's not new. You returned it "used". 1 day or 7 weeks, its used. How about I buy a car from you, come back 7 weeks later, demand a new car from you. "it's barely used." let's just trade. With cars you can obviously tell the mileage, could be only 150miles driven or 10,000 miles driven, over the roughest terrain or just cruising in neighborhood, how would you know? Obviously you brought back a broken ipod. How would they know what happened to it? Obviously the genius bar guys have seen this problem before because there are just as many brutes out there like you who have a fat hand and crush everything they own, but they are nice enough to appease to you brutes by giving you free replacements.

polaris20

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
I couldn't care less what Apple can or cannot do with the defective unit. I only care about the fact that I paid for new, I was promised new, and I did not get new.

You weren't promised a new unit from Apple upon defect. The warranty promises to fix the unit with new or refurbished parts, provide a new unit, or a refurbished one at Apple's discretion.

So as I said, I couldn't care less about what Apple can do with that old unit. All I care about is the fact that they promised me a new replacement, I paid for a new unit, and I did not get new.

You weren't promised a new new unit from Apple.

Apple's STORE policies don't apply to me because I didn't purchase it there. On top of that, Apple's warranty policies are not presented prior to purchase or use of the unit.

Wrong. If the warranty is so important to you, use your brain and Google it.

http://www.apple.com/legal/warranty/

First hit on Google for "Apple warranty". See second paragraph. Both Dell and HP have similar policies in regards to repair on their hardware. I've even received refurbished RAID cards and RAM for Poweredge servers. Guess what? They work.

You claim to have read the warranty, yet are somehow arrogant enough to think it doesn't apply to you. The fact of the matter is that the warranty is freely available on the internet prior to the purchase of the unit. If you do not like the terms, don't buy it. No company I've ever seen puts the entire warranty on the box. Don't be ridiculous.

Third, I was promised by a store employee that I would be getting a new unit. That overrides all policies, as verbal contracts in the state of California hold just as much water as written.

Good luck with that. Go ahead and spend a lot of money in legal fees over a $150 device just because you're acting like an angry, spoiled child. Here, let me help with the outcome:

Mosx: "He promised me a new unit".
Employee: "No I didn't".

Same old tired argument that never works.

You're absolutely right. It doesn't work, because you just don't get it and likely never will. You apparently have some sort of cognitive defect that prevents you from having the ability to discern fact vs. opinion. You also continue to think that your extremely limited experience and anecdotal evidence is somehow more important than everyone else's, which I can't decide is arrogant or just plain insane.

I have yet to see someone arguing against me who is right ;)

As you've been told countless times before, telling yourself that you're right doesn't make it so. I can tell myself I'm 6'2, but alas remain 5'7. At least I'm still good looking. ;)

And I'm here so people know what Apple is really like.

No, you're here to troll. No one could possibly care what experiences you've had with Apple products or their service because you're so positively arrogant and disagreeable to deal with, it's no wonder you received bad service. If you're like this in person, I'd be surprised to hear that you can even hold down a job for more than 90 days.

Yup. And they replaced it. And the system I ended up with is now over 3 years old. I never had to send it in for warranty service. However, every single Mac I've ever owned has to be sent out for warranty service and the battery in the one I have now swelled up. Despite that being a known defect and a fire hazard, Apple tells everyone it happens to that does not have AppleCare to pound sand.

More anecdotal evidence that really means nothing.

That was true then. For the first system. Isn't true now. Besides, when you get a new Mac, you have to reinstall OS X to get rid of the several gigabytes worth of printer drivers and language translations that come with the system. Then you have to download several gigabytes worth of OS updates because the concept of small patches seems to allude Apple for all of their devices. Why patch it when you can force a whole OS download?

It must be rough to be on dial-up.

I'd be better off with my own personally built system. I'm not buying any more systems that I don't build myself. I absolutely NEVER had issues with computers until I started buying systems that I did not build myself. Theres computers I built more than 10 years ago that are still in service and still running flawlessly on the original hardware.

Me too. Do you want a cookie? I've got 500Mhz-1Ghz machines running FTP servers, firewalls, DNS servers, etc. Doesn't make me special, nor does it make you special.

You know Mosx, the funny thing is that I'd actually sympathize with you if you weren't so abrasive. But as everyone else in this thread has seen, you never change.

You know what the best part is? Every single day I have multiple people asking me about the iPod nano. I tell them what happened to me. The 100% honest truth with no slandering, no embellishment, nothing like that. Everything I say is the 100% honest truth and, as a result, 100% legal. Every single person I tell my story to says the same thing. "Wow, they should have given you a new one even if they didn't promise it. You bought a new one, you should get a new one". Then they proceed to lose interest in Apple products.

Wow, we should get you a cape or something. I know you're my hero. :D It's like you're Superman, and Steve Jobs is Lex Luthor.

Last edited:

Ride9650

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
mosx, I feel for ya, I really do. I can agree with you that Apple's quality has, as of late, been slipping here and there. However, I really think you're being childish about this. Grow up!

... Apple's warranty policies are not presented prior to purchase or use of the unit.
I thought I'd point out an interesting point on this, since it relates to the Magnuson-Moss act you keep referring to.

According to the FTC "First, the Act does not require any business to provide a written warranty."

Also I noticed this interesting tid bit since you keep saying that verbal agreements are as good as written ones. Apparently verbal agreements don't count under this act:

"Second, the Act does not apply to oral warranties. Only written warranties are covered."

This should have been obvious. Without something written down, it just turns into a pissing match of he-said/she-said as polaris pointed out

So whoever told you you had a case with this is mistaken.

Funny, because there was another woman in there having an issue with a previous generation iPod and they gave her a packaged new unit.
BUT... you don't know the circumstances surrounding that replacement. She could have just as easily had 2 prior replacements already, or maybe she had the support of customer relations, who knows? Just because she got a brand new ipod does not entitle you to a new one as well.

With the Mac, I had believed the hype. I didn't see that the hype was just that, hype, until the return window had closed and I was stuck with the system.
I thought this was interesting. For someone that touts specs as the most important aspect of a computer, why did you fall for the hype anyways? You went into the purchase knowing full well about the limited upgrades you were going to make. You sound intelligent enough to use google, why didn't you do a little research first as most people would with a substantial purchase?

Good for you. I have 1.67GB of RAM free out of 4GB on my Mac right now. Safari is eating 362MB of RAM even though I only have one tab open! Talk about memory leaks. iTunes is at 186.7MB. Other than those I have Adium with a couple of chat windows open and Mail. Thats it.

Why are you still using your Mac if you dislike it so much?

Because everyone lives near an Apple store? I'm sorry, but driving an hour and taking your entire freaking computer with you is NOT convenient and it is not something I should have to do.

Lastly, I have to ask, why didn't you just go back to the same store later on, and talk with the same genius instead of sending it in? I don't imagine it's that hard to figure out who was helping you, and just come back in another time when he/she was working and swap it out then. Sure you're not super close to a Apple Store, but as you said it yourself earlier, you barely use the thing, so whats the rush?

Also, there are plenty of Authorized Service providers you could take a Mac to as well.

Last edited:

ZipZilla

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2003
you didn't give them a new unit, you didn't get a new unit back.

there's nothing wrong with refurbs. fail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.