Apple Registers New iPad Models and 'Bluetooth Device' in China

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 11, 2018 at 10:13 AM.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple in late September registered new iPad models and a new Bluetooth device with China's Ministry of Industry and Information Technology (MIIT), which hints at an imminent release for new iPad Pro models and perhaps a new Apple Pencil.

According to MySmartPrice, Apple registered iPad model numbers A1876, A1980, and A1993 which correspond to previous iPad registrations that we saw Apple file in July with the Eurasian Economic Commission. The exception is A1993, which has not been seen in a prior filing.

[​IMG]
    iPad Pro mockup by Álvaro Pabesio

The new model numbers do not correspond to any existing devices and likely represent unreleased iPad Pro models. Back in July, Apple also registered A1934, A1979, A2013, A2014, and A1985 with the ECC, representing new iPad Pro models set to be sold in countries that include Armenia, Belarus, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, and Russia.

That Apple is registering the previously spotted iPad models in a new country suggests a release could be imminent. With both new iPad models and new Macs on the horizon, we are expecting Apple to hold an October event, which could perhaps take place during the last week of the month based on the release date of the iPhone XR and what we know of past Apple events.

Rumors have suggested the new iPad Pro models could be sold alongside a second-generation Apple Pencil with AirPods-style no-contact pairing, and there is an unknown Bluetooth device in the MIIT filing.

[​IMG]

The Bluetooth device, listed as just "Bluetooth device," features a model number of A2051, with no additional information available. It's not known what it is, but it could indeed be a new Apple Pencil based on the rumors we've heard.

Apple is expected to introduce new iPad Pro models in sizes similar to 10.5 and 12.9-inches, with larger displays featuring slimmer bezels and no Home button. All new iPad Pro models are expected to adopt Face ID and a TrueDepth camera system along with improved processors, better camera capabilities, and perhaps a USB-C port instead of a Lightning port.

Article Link: Apple Registers New iPad Models and 'Bluetooth Device' in China

2. LordCoe13 macrumors regular

LordCoe13

What does the typical announcement timeline look like after MIIT certification updates? Does Apple typically update this days/weeks/months before?

3. miniyou64 macrumors 6502

miniyou64

Hopefully the screen does not use PWM like iPhone XS which makes it unusable to a lot of people!

4. HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 604

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    Please Apple, please "one more thing": iPad Mini 5.

If it's about profit margin, just charge enough for it to make it as profitable per unit sold.

5. Will.O.Bie macrumors 6502

Will.O.Bie

Interested to see how the iPad Pro will unlock with FaceID when in landscape mode.

6. Pelea macrumors 6502

hopefully the new apple pencil starts at $199 instead of $99. the price is way too cheap at the moment for the best pencil on the planet!!

7. says_stuff macrumors member

says_stuff

Three model numbers could mean an ipad mini as well, right?

8. kemal macrumors 65816

kemal

One More Thing: The new T3 chip and free replacement on your MBP TB and iMacP. And Apple Stores learn how to solder.

9. SoyCapitanSoyCapitan macrumors 68040

SoyCapitanSoyCapitan

I can sense the new iPad will be a monster seller.

10. Shiro_Simba macrumors member

Shiro_Simba

Lightning port will not be replaced by USB-C .
    --- Post Merged, Oct 11, 2018 at 10:24 AM ---
    Wait for the pricing . I sense a significant rise

11. jesChexin macrumors newbie

12. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

An event later this month is looking likely at this point. Just wonder if there are any Mac filings to indicate a new iMac or Mac mini will be introduced at the event.

13. tambovskya macrumors newbie

I don't think that they will ever beat the record sales they had in previous years. Sad, but, yeah.

14. DNichter macrumors 604

DNichter

What do you mean? It will unlock like it does today, as long as your hand isn't covering it. It just won't work upside down.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 11, 2018 at 10:30 AM ---
    Can't wait for this. An all screen experience of this size will be really really nice. Face ID has been perfect on my Max so I am expecting similar performance here. Should be a nice upgrade from my 10.5, which was the best Apple computer I've ever used.

15. fokmik macrumors 68030

yes, with the new Intel 8th and 9th gen for desktop like imac and mac mini

16. kognos macrumors member

That's the point isn't it. It'll be very very interesting where they place the FaceID sensors. "You're holding it wrong."

17. ersan191 macrumors 6502a

Couldn't bluetooth device be AirPower or new AirPods as well?

18. McTool macrumors regular

McTool

Why haven’t we seen any hardware leaks?
    Nothing what so ever.

19. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

For the iPad Pro, there's this. For the upcoming Mac models, hardly anything has leaked.

20. dontworry macrumors 6502

dontworry

has there been any research into why some people have this problem? I would think that Apple would have something to say about this if it is a big problem like some say.

21. ThatGuyInLa macrumors 6502

ThatGuyInLa

Palm/Finger rejection has been terrible on my X and and Xs. So I cam very curious as to how you're supposed to hold and use an even larger device with no "safe space" to grab and hold it. Maybe balance it in one hand like a waiter holding a server platter?

22. DotCom2 macrumors 68040

If all the bezels are the same size, I wonder how are we going to be able to tell which side of the landscape side is the one with the Face ID sensor? Feel around for the lightning port? LOL!

23. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

Aka, just slap a "Pro" into the name ;)

Or add voice and call it the iPhoneXDoubleMax++ :p

24. cwanja macrumors 6502a

The July sequence was - registered in the database and then silently released a weekly later. Unlikely these will be silently released. But possible.

Given that no announcement went out today, it begins to beg the question of when will it happen. Tim Cook is speaking the week of 10/22 so that is out. They typically do not send out invites same week as events. Guess they could do it for the "last week" of October - 10/30 or 10/31. More speculation.

25. deebinem macrumors newbie

deebinem

That one time I spilled that tray holding a full glass of red wine all over that lady makes me pray I do NOT have to hold it that way...