Apple Releases Firmware Update 7.7.9 and 7.6.9 for AirPort Base Stations [Updated]

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 12, 2017.

1. dumastudetto macrumors 68030

Absolutely correct. AirPort extreme cannot be beat when it comes to performance, stability and security. They are incredible devices, and they work seamlessly with all your Apple devices.

2. mariusignorello macrumors 65816

There’s more to AirPort, HomePod and AirPower than what the eye can see.

3. jazz1 macrumors 65816

jazz1

Not from what I’ve read. Extensions are supposedly cut 50% speed

4. mariusignorello macrumors 65816

It’s the old style “SSID extension” system. Speed is cut like you mentioned.

5. jrpvt macrumors newbie

Nice to see that someone woke up over in Cupertino and realized that a lot of us paid extra a couple of years ago for a solid wireless product that’s held up miraculously well (my AirPort Express literally worked after I left it outside on our deck in a thunderstorm). It may be a neglected product, but at least it’s still maintained, even if the updates are delayed.

6. jazz1 macrumors 65816

jazz1

Going to mesh. But why oh why has Apple left the arena? I our purchased their first Aitport, and following generations. Why leave us now? Give us mesh! Steve Jobs wouldn’t abandon us!

7. Mark Booth macrumors 68000

Mark Booth

Installing the update bricked my Airport Extreme. The update proceeded fine until reboot and then, bam, dead AirPort Extreme. No power light, nothing. I tried disconnecting power and reconnecting, nothing. CRAP!!!!!

Mine is the AirPort Extreme just before Apple moved to the tall ones.

CRAP!!!! This is incredibly inconvenient!

Mark

8. CarlJ macrumors 68020

CarlJ

Very much yes please. The Airport base stations have been world leaders in the past, I'd love to see them continually improved. Just updated my Airport and Time Capsule and it was easy and pain-free, and they just keep working and working and working...

9. kohlson macrumors 65816

After successfully updating one of my AExp, I went to update my 4th-gen (the one before the tallboys). It went well, until it didn't. Finished with an error and then fell off the network. When I went to look at it, no status light at all. Power cycle, attempt at hard reset - nothing. But I unplugged it for 30 min or so and then when I plugged it in it booted up normally. New firmware and everything! Not the smoothest, but in the end it worked out.

10. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Yep, but without AirPort support for this stuff then you need three devices; the modem/ONT, a router to apply VLAN tagging, and finally the AirPort for Wi-Fi.

While current AirPorts support IPv6 over DHCP, it doesn't work if your ISP uses PPPoE. Guess what mine uses...

Annoyingly the documentation doesn't bother to mention this; you follow the instructions for setting up v6 and the option simply isn't there when using PPPoE. I thought it was a bug until I opened a ticket with Apple Engineering, who confirmed that it only works over DHCP.

11. TheMountainLife macrumors member

Centurylink fiber. I have their 1GB service. Had to replace the Time Capsule because it does not support vlan or gigabit speeds on the WAN side, only LAN. The most I could get was around 450mb down. Been happy with a Netgear wrt1900acs supporting 20-30 wireless connections at once.

12. Mark Booth macrumors 68000

Mark Booth

Thanks. I had mine unplugged for maybe 5 minutes. I've just pulled the plug again and I'll leave it out for 30 minutes.

Mark

13. Westside guy, Dec 12, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2017

Westside guy macrumors 603

Westside guy

I have both that version and the 802.11ac (latest) one. Both updated fine. The older one has some other issues that predated this update... but it’s probably 8-10 years old at this point, and hardware does fail over time.

I mention that just to say that sometime old hardware keeps chugging along until you touch it. It’s possible your issue (and that of the other person) may not be the fault of the firmware update. At work we have a couple old (and thankfully not important) servers that run fine, as long as we don’t power cycle them. If we do, then sometimes we have to sacrifice a chicken and flog ourselves before they’ll come back up.

14. Mark Booth macrumors 68000

Mark Booth

Leaving it unplugged for 30 minuted didn't help. I measured the output of the power supply with my multimeter, it's putting out 12 volts. The power light on the Extreme doesn't come on or flash or anything. Dead, dead, DEAD.

Now I have to decide if I want to get Apple's 802.11ac tower model (still available at my local Best Buy) or get one made by someone else. I wasn't able to save the configuration file from the dead one, so I'll have to input all of my device's MAC addresses again. And all of my port forwarding settings. ROYAL PAIN IN THE ASS!

Mark

15. Luba macrumors 65816

Luba

Did the 30 minutes of unplugging fix your problem? My TC (tall one using 802.11ac) “can’t be found” the Airport Apps on my iPhone and iPad don’t see it.

16. Jeaz macrumors 6502

Jeaz

You have a point in that there's not a lot of better products out there if you look at the Time Capsule or Extreme.

The Express though, is stuck at 802.11n, which makes it a poor range extender for a 802.11ac network and would have loved to see an update of it.

Also, it would have been interesting to see Apples take on Mesh networking, and compete with the Google Wifi.

Oh, and update the iOS app to support iPhone X screen size. Embarrassing that Apple themselves are slacking, but I guess that's proof if anything that Apple is not focusing on the Airport products.

17. Black Tiger macrumors 6502

Let’s not panic regarding the routers. Apple also said that they existed the standalone display market after the Thunderbolt Display and then earlier this year announced that they are working on a new pro display for the new modular Mac Pro. So nothing is ever final.

18. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

A lesson for everyone whenever applying an update. Backup your configuration settings first.

19. zapmymac macrumors member

zapmymac

Just updated my 2nd gen Express & Extreme : no issues. Up until today uptime is 99.99% for years. Both are hooked up to a UPS just in case. I know many people that are on their 3rd-5th router in the last decade; not here. Apple has been phenomenal.

side note: great article and forum discussion over on Small Netbuilder about the fallacy of MU-MIMO and Wave2 of .AC TLDR: do not buy into it....and take a moment before jumping into "mesh"

20. Lioness~ macrumors 6502

Lioness~

My both Extremes updated easy and well.
    My both ultraold Expresses that I use with ethernet to my both Extremes, did say something went wrong. But when restarted them, they had updated just fine. I didn’t wait anything, just restarted them.

I Hope Apple update these things more.

21. berrymetal macrumors regular

berrymetal

Thanks Apple for the update.
    I’m still hoping they’d release new airports someday. Fingers crossed!

22. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

Just updated my TC to 7.7.9 no issues to report. Went fast and smooth.

23. mdgm macrumors 6502a

Indeed. For you it’s an important fix. I installed the update, but it wasn’t urgent for me as I don’t use mine as a wireless bridge.

24. Barry Marshall macrumors member

Barry Marshall

You would have thought they would have jumped into the Mesh market, but I guess since they didn't develop it totally they didn't see it worthwhile competing for a small market share.

25. Phil in ocala Suspended

Phil in ocala

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
    A link to the download would have been appreciated but ....................................